Homemade lightweight Saddle!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

Not really, it's not much to look at, and it's hard to see under my butt. lol.

It's comfy, and I might use in for a future bike. It's a temp saddle, I got something special on the way from Europe, hopefully it will be on my bike this time next week. 8)

danielgillett

by danielgillett

Today, I did exactly the same thing, but to a Selle Italia Trimatic Saddle - It came out very well. I sanded it lightly here and there - It is quite comfortable, not to mention lightweight.

It's a cool thing to do with an old saddle or a new one if your keen...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

Just my 2 cents.

Cyclists clocking up more than 3,000 miles per year double their chances of becoming infertile or developing problems down stairs.

Saddle manufacturers, put cut-outs and soft spots in their saddles for a reason.

I'd rather spend the cash, have a light weight saddle and a fully working undercarriage!

Tippster

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Seems to me I got a problem according to you. I ride a Flite!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

bobalou

by bobalou

Tippster wrote:Just my 2 cents.

Cyclists clocking up more than 3,000 miles per year double their chances of becoming infertile or developing problems down stairs.

Saddle manufacturers, put cut-outs and soft spots in their saddles for a reason.

I'd rather spend the cash, have a light weight saddle and a fully working undercarriage!

Tippster

Tippster, I've heard this is actually a myth. I think that infertility problems from biking are confused with prostate problems. It is true that extended riding (mostly for older men) can cause problems with the prostate and blood flow leading to impotence (not infertility) and that even that is correctable. Ghadds.. this topic has turned ugly!

Anyway, just look at the pro peloton. Those guys log 40k kilometers per year on up and lots of them have kids and (should I say it?) more putang then you can shake a stick at.

Superlite

by Superlite

Those guys log 40k kilometers per year on up and lots of them have kids and (should I say it?) more putang then you can shake a stick at.

Hahaha! You are correct sir! 8)

saletel

by saletel

Superlite wrote:
Those guys log 40k kilometers per year on up and lots of them have kids and (should I say it?) more putang then you can shake a stick at.

Hahaha! You are correct sir! 8)

i wish we amatuers had that problem

Knut

by Knut

My trusty SLR was worn out by riding in muddy conditions all winter. So I removed the cover, padding and shaved the shell some. I'm now thinking about drilling the shell to get it even lighter. This seat is on my hardtail XC-ride but is often used for roadrides of up to 120 kilometers.

Oh, and I'm going to be a father in two weeks time... :wink:

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

cool...that's exactly what i did to my SLR!!!

saletel

by saletel

so i should take the cover off my beat up SLR instead of recovering it with gator skin? :oops: i really was looking forward to my pimp "gatorz"

Knut

by Knut

You'll only ruin the new cover as fast as the old one - so best bet is to remove cover and padding...

o2oole

by o2oole

Hey guys, that saddle looks nice - real nice..

I did sort of the same thing, with an SDG satelite (if you don't know, it's a pretty big looking saddle, nice - but big.. weighs 280 or so G's) .. i wanted a light weight-low profile saddle, but could afford one, so i took of the padding, and shaved down the plastic, so now it's light (er) and looks sweet, i than added new padding (made my own oadding deisgn - basically a thick strip down the middle, and than thinner on the sides) .. but, the only problem i have now is how to put the fabric..

should i buy new fabric? something like a "leather" feeling, and than STAPLE it on? or glue it on? or a bit of both ?

or, should i re-use my fabric ? again, does glue work better? or staples? or a bit of both ?

also, what size staples would be appropriate.. i just bought 1/4 inche, and they seem like there short enough.. can i buy shorter though?

Pics to come..

thanks for the help, and maybe the original poster could pm how he did it.. thanks guys..
Live to ride - Ride to live - Body - Bike - Soul

scant

by scant

Hi
After seeing this thread I've recently started my attempt to re-create this project!
Can you tell me exactly where you removed excess material from?
visibily on the outside I can see the underside of the nose & the V cut into the back of the saddle, anywhere else?

On the underside, where exactly have you removed material from? how do you go about softening the overal feel of the saddle?( I know its never going to be plush!)

many thanks

Knut

by Knut

If you check the pictures in this link I think it'll be obvious where I shaved the shell - otherwise shoot me an email... :D

http://www.korczak.dk/files/mtb/slr/

It is actually plush - well, depending on your definiton of plush. But I've used this for more than a few roadrides of 125+ km's with 1" tires and 110psi without problems. If you want it more plush you can start drilling holes in the shell...

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

*kick

Do you still use it?
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com