Another Nut-ty light TCR Advanced

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

Here's a look at another TCR Advanced that Bikenut in San Francisco just built. It's amazing to me how easy it is to put together a 12 lb. bike from off the shelf parts. This is a brief build list:

Giant TCR Advanced frameset
Lightweight Obermeyers w/ Shwalbe Stelvios
M2 racer quick releases
Storck Power Arms 172.5 w/ 39/53 nitrite coated 6/4 ti chainrings
Spada ti isis b.b.
Tiso c.ring bolts
KCNC 11/25 cass
KMC SL-10X TiNi Chain
Campagnolo Record shifters w/ BTP carbon clamps
Nokon cables and housing all around
Giant carbon stem & seatpost
FSA K-wing handlebar
Arione carbon saddle
Alloy water bottle and seat collar bolts

Total weight: 12.13 lbs. or 5.502 kg
Attachments
jr5.JPG
jr9.JPG
jr3.JPG
jr2.JPG
jr1.JPG

ProParadox

by ProParadox

Looks very nice.

Any reason why you routed your rear brake cable the way you did? Keeps it from rubbing your leg?
How did you strip your paint? You do it yourself?

Is that weight without pedals?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeguy101

by bikeguy101

The frame was stripped and clear coated by a professional painter w/ client's initials. The bike is 12.13 lbs w/out pedals and "tuning". Dog not included. Enjoy.

kAb

by kAb

SICK. One of the nicest looking giants i have seen, and i have seen a lot.

Aside from being lighter, a different bar, stem, seatpost, & saddle would compliment the other component choices better.

Please enlighten us as to why the rear brake cable is routed as such.

bikeguy101

by bikeguy101

There were a few isolated incident on smaller compact frames w/ issues of cable rub, especially those riders w/ Arnold calves. This routing resolves the problem, yet it looks a bit neat, too. There is another version of M5s w/ a redesigned brake arm, as well.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

kAb wrote:SICK. One of the nicest looking giants i have seen, and i have seen a lot.

Aside from being lighter, a different bar, stem, seatpost, & saddle would compliment the other component choices better.

Please enlighten us as to why the rear brake cable is routed as such.

I disagree on the seatpost and stem. The Giant Racing Components parts are very nice and look appropriately understated on the stealthy frame. I do agree on the bar though. Why not the Giant Racing Components bar. I think around 180 grams and very nicely shaped. The other option of course would be to switch everything to Deda (the T-Mobile connection).

A question for Bikeguy: do you mind disclosing what the cost of the re-finishing job was?

bikeguy101

by bikeguy101

The bar was the client's choice since he has the same one on his C50. The strip/clearcoating ranges from $250 to $300 depending on extra decals or # of layers of clearcoat. I do also agree that the Giant stem is stiffer than most other stems in the market and respectively light. The seatpost is also comparible weight to the U.S.E. alien and easier to adjust.. I intend to have some of those stems and seatpost stipped and clearcoated for future projects. We are in the process of building two more Advanced bikes and an Extreme C. Enjoy..

bikeguy101

by bikeguy101

The bar was the client's choice since he has the same one on his C50. The strip/clearcoating ranges from $250 to $300 depending on extra decals or # of layers of clearcoat. I do also agree that the Giant stem is stiffer than most other stems in the market and respectively light. The seatpost is also comparible weight to the U.S.E. alien and easier to adjust.. I intend to have some of those stems and seatpost stipped and clearcoated for future projects. We are in the process of building two more Advanced bikes and an Extreme C. Enjoy..

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

I'll do it for 20 bucks. :lol: Seriously, thats a nice looking bike, :D but I'm partial to black Giants.

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

WOW, that is one sweet bike... but I would have opted for another stem/bar combo, but to each his own... lovely bike nonetheless

I'm interested in the Stelvio tubs used, any thoughts on their performance?
BILL NIKO, YOU WILL NOT EVER BE FORGOTTEN.

Enforcer

by Enforcer

Great bike, the k wing handlebar is a TANK, but very comfortable .

peterb_bt

by peterb_bt

Very nice, and the bike's not bad to look at either! :wink: I wish my LBS had such nice looking staff. Oh well....

Peter
You can never have too much carbon fibre....!

Boonen

by Boonen

Very nice looking bike! Not really off the shelf parts to me though :wink: makes it sound like there was hardly any effort done in building the bike and it sure looks like there has gone some thought into it!
Like the photo with the dog, I hope he didn't fall off and damage the bike after the pic was taken.

nexusheli

by nexusheli

If you take that dog off of there, I bet you'll get the weight down another 1lb or so... :lol:

kAb

by kAb

I agree with Mr. Gib that the Giant bar would go perfect if you're sticking with the other giant components. I have used one on my previous Scott and thought it had one of the best shapes out of all bars i've tried. It also has a nice aluminum sleve on the clamping area. I believe the weight was closer to 200g, but that would still be a noticable weight savings and still be comfortable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com