2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thumper88

by thumper88

morganb wrote:I'm curious why the disc bike is so far behind the rim in terms of release, I would think groupset availability (especially at the Ultegra level) is an issue. I hope it isn't development problems with keeping the bike light with the disc mounts. There is also the possibility that they are staggering it just so the disc bike doesn't cannibalize sales from the rim model.

The groups thing has to be part of it... some of the ultegra parts still sound like they are a couple weeks out, and the dura ace bits seemed like they were delayed well beyond what dealers were expecting, so prob caution about believing ultegra stuff is going to show up when promised.
Did head from Northeast US dealer a couple weeks ago that he would be surprised if the disc sl6 actually showed up until next year -- and I was all but waving the cash at him -- so OP prob on target.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I doubt groupset availability has anything to do with it...Nobody else has delayed a bike introduction because of it. Not the rim-brake version, not the Emonda, not the Teammachine, the Foil Disc, etc.

It’s more likely there were additional design challenges or an issue that cropped up that required attention. They missed a window and it doesn’t make sense to introduce the Tarmac SL6 Disc headed into winter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Squashednuts wrote:@TonyM why are you going with Shimano C40 C60?

As the BMC is swiss I would prefer some nice DT Swiss wheels but they make the PRC wheels only in 35mm and 65mm. And I am looking for 45-50mm. DT has the ERC in 47mm but they are optimized for 28mm tires. So if not a DT Swiss, then some wheels which are „neutral“ like the Shimano C40/C60. Good hubs and nice design. Used by the Pro peloton. Good match with the Dura Ace 9170 on my BMC. I am not very keen to have Italian, French or US wheels on my (swiss) BMC. Just my personal taste.

CBJ

by CBJ

TobinHatesYou wrote:I doubt groupset availability has anything to do with it...Nobody else has delayed a bike introduction because of it. Not the rim-brake version, not the Emonda, not the Teammachine, the Foil Disc, etc.

It’s more likely there were additional design challenges or an issue that cropped up that required attention. They missed a window and it doesn’t make sense to introduce the Tarmac SL6 Disc headed into winter.

Half of the world is heading into summer :noidea:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CBJ wrote:Half of the world is heading into summer :noidea:

That half of the world is mostly ocean and only contains 10% of the world population.

Drizzle

by Drizzle

Any updates on the disc release? My LBS (Specialized concept store in Belgium) thinks they will be announced in dec-jan en should be delivered by feb-march.. I hope he's right!

benjaminm3

by benjaminm3

TobinHatesYou wrote:I doubt groupset availability has anything to do with it...Nobody else has delayed a bike introduction because of it. Not the rim-brake version, not the Emonda, not the Teammachine, the Foil Disc, etc.

teammachine ultegra disc availability is expected in november.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

TobinHatesYou wrote:
CBJ wrote:Half of the world is heading into summer :noidea:

That half of the world is mostly ocean and only contains 10% of the world population.

This site needs a "like" button.

Drizzle

by Drizzle

Any updates on disc release?

turbocarr

by turbocarr

I was planning on picking rim version in January. My LBS said that disc version is coming out soon if I was interested in that model. Although disc brakes work better, I'm wondering if the weight penalty is worth it. Any idea how much it weights? Nice pic btw. I have a Venge Vias Pro disc. The disc brakes work well but with a weight penalty.

TonyM

by TonyM

turbocarr wrote:I was planning on picking rim version in January. My LBS said that disc version is coming out soon if I was interested in that model. Although disc brakes work better, I'm wondering if the weight penalty is worth it. Any idea how much it weights? Nice pic btw. I have a Venge Vias Pro disc. The disc brakes work well but with a weight penalty.

I suppose the weight penalty will be around 350g to 400g (disc parts and some reinforcements for the fork/ frame).
I was told from my LBS that the Disc Tarmac is supposed to be announced in Jan/ Feb but the deliveries will be as from March and most probably first the bikes and not the frame sets.

BTW why did you buy the Venge in the disc version?

turbocarr

by turbocarr

I picked it up in Feb of this year. There wasn't a choice. Prior year version came with rim brake version, which I understand was problematic. I have two issues with the new Pro Disc version. 1. I can't interchange my other wheels (ENVE's) and 2. Too heavy to keep up with the local fast rides when the road goes up. I suck at fast climbing so I need all the help I can get with a super light S-Works Tarmac. I may just get the rim brake version. Thanks for your response.

TonyM

by TonyM

If the road goes up you will definitely feel the 350-400g due to the discs. AND your bike will feel less responsive also.
BUT you may be faster downhill :mrgreen:

Feddesman

by Feddesman

Also still waiting for the disc version.my LBS tought the disc will arrive in july with the TDF.
I hope it will be allot sooner because i want my new bike before june.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TonyM wrote:If the road goes up you will definitely feel the 350-400g due to the discs. AND your bike will feel less responsive also.
BUT you may be faster downhill :mrgreen:

A 400g difference up an 8% 5km climb At 275W and a system weight around 160lbs is like... 7 seconds off of 19.5min. If you can really feel that, I applaud you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com