Campagnolo H11 - with regular crank?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bananapls

by bananapls

Hi

I'm building a bike over the winter, and getting a Campagnolo Chorus H11 group set. It will have a 12x142 rear thru-axle and H11 specific derailleurs, but i'm keen on just buying the "old" 4-arm Chorus crank instead of the new H11 crank because of the vast price difference between the two and also the looks of it. Will the difference be huge in terms of adjusting the gears, chainline etc? The price difference between a Chorus 2017 50-34 and a H11 2018 50-34 is 130 dollars + 25% VAT, so it its a considerable amount - atleast for me :E

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Yep, the chainline will be off with the old crankset. There is a reason the h11 was designed. [emoji6]
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

I'm using h11 with a quarq and no problems with gears so far.
My problem is that the brakes aren't powerful enough (I am very heavy right now) and campag don't make it easy to upsize the front rotor.

bananapls

by bananapls

Will the length of the chainstay on my new frame affect this? (Longer chainstay, less chainline problems?) And yea Frankie-B, i know why they made the H11 specific cranksets, thats why i ask.

"Campagnolo didn’t say how far their new chainrings were moved outboard to maintain ideal alignment, so we did the simple math. 5mm wider hubs. That moves the cassette 2.5mm outboard. So the chainrings just need to move the same 2.5mm outboard to again line up with the cassette. Ok, that is small, and explains why Campy said they were able to make the change without impacting the 145.5mm Q-factor of their cranks."

"Clearly with that little difference it probably doesn’t make sense to sell your Super Record cranks and buy a new set of H11s"

Miller

by Miller

I'm running a bike with a normal Chorus chainset and a 12x142 rear hub. Rear shifting is just fine.

Admired the H11 chainset but ouchy price.

titaniumconfidential

by titaniumconfidential

bananapls wrote:Hi

I'm building a bike over the winter, and getting a Campagnolo Chorus H11 group set. It will have a 12x142 rear thru-axle and H11 specific derailleurs, but i'm keen on just buying the "old" 4-arm Chorus crank instead of the new H11 crank because of the vast price difference between the two and also the looks of it. Will the difference be huge in terms of adjusting the gears, chainline etc? The price difference between a Chorus 2017 50-34 and a H11 2018 50-34 is 130 dollars + 25% VAT, so it its a considerable amount - atleast for me :E

used Campy EPS with regular Record Crankset and 142x12 rear hubs and EPS derailleur no problem..
When you on big chainring / smallest cog the chain is kinda close to crank arm but never had any issue...depends also by your chainstays length.. The shorter the chain stay the more likely to have clearance problem..but i wouldn't be worried too much. it was never an issue for me

BigPoser

by BigPoser

So I assume that with 135 rear spacing then it would be even less of an issue, such as in my case.

AJS914

by AJS914

The chainline on 12x142 thru-axel is the same as 135mm quick release.

joejack951

by joejack951

Another normal Chorus crankset user with 142mm dropouts and no issues. 410mm chainstays on my frame as well. I assumed I would have issues at the extremes but it's just as good as my 105 5800 bike that has a 130mm rear hub: no noise using big/big and some using small/small due to the chain hitting the big ring (50/34 rings and 12-29 cassette on the Campy bike).

duende

by duende

I splurged for the H11 crankset. As others have said here the normal Chorus would have worked, but I wanted the ceramic bearings.

To the poster with braking issues. Really surprised to hear that! I’d been having major braking issues BEFORE I went to campy. None so far since I switched.

Miller

by Miller

duende wrote:To the poster with braking issues. Really surprised to hear that! I’d been having major braking issues BEFORE I went to campy. None so far since I switched.

What are the Campag discs like to use?

c60rider

by c60rider

Miller wrote:
duende wrote:To the poster with braking issues. Really surprised to hear that! I’d been having major braking issues BEFORE I went to campy. None so far since I switched.

Early reviews like these were positive but I think they were all on the same test ride and sounds like they written by the same person by the way they read. But you can probably expect them to perform fairly close to the competition.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/campagnolo-ergopower-h11-disc-brakes-review-51269/
https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/campagnolo-launch-first-disc-brakes-compatible-six-groupsets.html#TUvrAIlYz04oE6dL.97
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/222057-first-ride-campagnolo-finally-announces-disc-brake-lineup

duende

by duende

Miller wrote:

I'm non disc brake expert by any means, but have used other brands like Shimano, Avid, and TRP. The campy's modulate better than any I've tried with no squeals. I also really like the ergo-ness of the hoods. Their super confidence inspiring. Rock solid system in my experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Miller wrote:

What I like about Campagnolo discs is that no matter how long and steep the downhill is there is no rub due to dilatation and barely any noticeable change in bite point.

From that point of view it feels much more like a mechanical system.

To me the best system by far, considering I live half of the year only 100 km from the Stelvio pass, for example.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk