Aero wheels for around $1000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Since my rear wheel died I am considering getting some aero wheels.
I found Profile Design 38/TwentyFour for $1200 and weigh about the same as my current aluminum wheels.
Reynolds Assault SLG look another good option.
A friend of mine recommended these also. Any other to consider? Would like to avoid buying from Chinese dealers unless there is a good reason to do so.

dim

by dim

I was in the same predicement as you and I spent several months researching a wheelset ... really wanted 50mm aero but ....

I ended up getting HED Belgium Plus rims with Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearing upgrade) with Sapiem C-XRay spokes

not the lightest .... not the most aero, but tubeless ready and I'm flying on these .... very solid wheels and they are as true as the day I bought them .... well pleased.... I'm running tubeless now but before tubeless, I used Specialized Turbo Cottons with latex tubes .... very fast especially on hills
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vanillaflyweight

by vanillaflyweight

Wiggle have 'Prime' carbon clinchers for sub $1000. Reviews seem positive

Seedster

by Seedster

Velomine has Bora One Tubulars in the 50mm depth on sale for 999 a set. http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=3671

Im not affiliated with them. I have had great experience buying all my campy components from them. Ben is great

morganb

by morganb

You can find HED Jets (alloy with a carbon fairing) but one of the best aerodynamically for around that.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

any aero wheels around $1000 are rebranded open mould stuff anyway

53x12

by 53x12

waltthizzney wrote:any aero wheels around $1000 are rebranded open mould stuff anyway

Nope. Not Flo Wheels.

OP, check out the Flo Wheels. They are quality.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

53x12 wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:any aero wheels around $1000 are rebranded open mould stuff anyway

Nope. Not Flo Wheels.

you really think it is that hard to mold a circle? its all the same

Mtek

by Mtek

Dt240s, cx ray spokes... pretty good deal for your price point.

https://ffwdusa.com/product/road/carbon ... er/f4r-le/

53x12

by 53x12

waltthizzney wrote:
53x12 wrote:

Nope. Not Flo Wheels.

you really think it is that hard to mold a circle? its all the same

Flo's wheels are not rebranded open mould stuff. They have done their own moulds.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

LouisN

by LouisN

I have a couple friends who bought Light-bicycle wheels and are very pleased (One of them uses an Enve set and usually bashes non high end stuff). Around $1000. With DT240S hubs.
Louis :)

morganb

by morganb

LouisN wrote:I have a couple friends who bought Light-bicycle wheels and are very pleased (One of them uses an Enve set and usually bashes non high end stuff). Around $1000. With DT240S hubs.
Louis :)

I have looked at their rims only for mountain bike rims, but didn't realize how cheap that their completes are. You can get a complete CC wheelset for <600 if you use Bitex hubs which are pretty fantastic for the money. I wonder if there is any actual aero testing on any of their rims though. After seeing some of the data recently what looks aero and is aero are pretty different things.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I bought these a month or two ago with a 20% off coupon ($799). Not the lightest wheels in the world, but all things considered, you’re not going to get aero, light, and well built for under $1000. I’ll take aero and well built for $800. I am sold on the 25mm wide rims and am looking to find a pair of Ardennes+ (what the Jet is without the fairing) in the near future.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

bikebreak

by bikebreak

I found Bontrager Aeolus tubular for under $600 lightly used. ebay plus patience.
Great wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com