Thoughts on the 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Conza

by Conza

stormur wrote:that weight is not gonna happened. Have CX01 ( frame & fork weight +-50g same as SLR01 :shock: ) , with 1500g wheelset, sram red + trp spyre slc, pirelli 28mm tires, latex tubes, 187g aliante r3, 200g easton ec90 slx3 bar , 110g stem, keo blade ti pedals .... weight is 7550g .

So add 150-200g for heavier cockpit/ saddle , 500g+ for Ultegra vs Red22 and you'll have your number.

If memory serves well GF01 disc (1200 frame, 400 fork, 202 post) with full ultegra hydro and 1600g wheels was advertised by BMC as 8.1kg without pedals. In that claim I believe.

8.1kg? Dannng. :shock:

wingguy wrote:Just off the top of my head you've missed out BB, headset, expander plug, spacers, bartape, inner tubes, thru-axles, maybe mech hanger, maybe seatpost clamp, maybe flatmount adapters and bolts, any grease and paste used.

That stuff adds up. The stock innertubes alone would account for upwards of 200g

True. Thanks. I'm new to being a weight weenie as you can probably tell; haha. Much appreciated :thumbup: .

I actually have the BMC Team Machine on order. Debating whether to change that though. :shock:
It's all about the adventure :o .

TonyM

by TonyM

Conza wrote:(...) I actually have the BMC Team Machine on order. Debating whether to change that though. :shock:

What would be the alternatives that you are considering?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaF8

by PinaF8

I’m still awaiting for my frameset.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

wingguy

by wingguy

Conza wrote:I actually have the BMC Team Machine on order. Debating whether to change that though. :shock:

If you like everything else about it then why not keep it? There's not much else out there that's going to make a big weight difference.

That said, the new Cervelo R5 disc has been designed with very similar geometry, handling and ride quality ideas, with an <850g frame and <350g fork. It's about £1k more than the R8070 BMC for R9170 and Enves. Otherwise the Giant TCR Adv SL 1 should also be a significantly lighter system than those stated weights for the BMC, and about £1200 cheaper than the BMC for R8070 and Giant carbon wheels. Its more of a standard, sharper handling road race geo with steep angles and short wheelbase than the other two though.

Conza

by Conza

TonyM wrote:
Conza wrote:(...) I actually have the BMC Team Machine on order. Debating whether to change that though. :shock:

Honestly—I looked at every brand I knew of; and nothing really pipped the idea of the those clean lines, disc brakes, di2, carbon wheels, and it being a BMC. Also liked the colours; black/grey - timeless really. Any suggestions for something similar? :o

I just didn't realise the weight is probably going to be about 8kg? Like for $7.5k ($RRP 9,999) I'd have thought it'd be far lighter than that :? . It is meant to arrive in January.

What has brought this to the fore (I just build up a temp bike to use until then; with the plan of selling it when the BMC arrives) I can give more info if need be but don't want to hijack this thread from BMC - but ended up about $3.4k;

Merida Scultura 7000-E (CF4) frame
    DA 9100 mechanical groupset w/ pedals
    Campy Zonda wheelset
    Selle Italia SLR Superflow 145mm saddle
    3T pro alloy stem
    3T pro alloy 42cm handlebars

It turned out to be 6.99kg and I didn't even try :lol: . Alloy heavy everything else parts wise and they're alloy training wheels.

Obviously no disc brakes, or di2 which is what I want long term but I am built to climb, and whilst never really focusing on weight before—this has me asking - what am I getting above this with the BMC? Better brakes, electric shifting, more aero(?), but its 1kg heavier and is $4k more... :unbelievable: . Worth it?

:lol:

wingguy wrote:If you like everything else about it then why not keep it? There's not much else out there that's going to make a big weight difference.

That's true. I can handle the 500g difference between ultegra di2 and DA di2. I just mistakenly thought that was pretty much it. I know disc adds a bit more weight, just surprised all the little things that add up to so much. Didn't think that'd need to be a focus with the BMC team machine.

wingguy wrote:That said, the new Cervelo R5 disc has been designed with very similar geometry, handling and ride quality ideas, with an <850g frame and <350g fork. It's about £1k more than the R8070 BMC for R9170 and Enves. Otherwise the Giant TCR Adv SL 1 should also be a significantly lighter system than those stated weights for the BMC, and about £1200 cheaper than the BMC for R8070 and Giant carbon wheels. Its more of a standard, sharper handling road race geo with steep angles and short wheelbase than the other two though.

This Giant https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tcr-advanced-sl-1-disc-2018? Not such a fan of the colour. Before I got taken out by a car (and the bike with it); really liked the Giant TCR Advanced 2 (w/ DA). Definitely get the short wheelbase they have. Good point. Have you got any other suggestions?

I find it hard to comprehend that there doesn't seem to be much in this specific space? Because disc is still not yet legal in most places racing wise? Too high end?

Edit: Canyon was another brand I liked. This: https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road/aeroad/aeroad-cf-slx-disc-8-0-di2.html 7.8kg, and with pedals 8kg. For $1k less. But not fully integrated cables.

PinaF8 wrote:I’m still awaiting for my frameset.

What do you plan to build up? :o

ODC

by ODC

Pfft i'm going from the one problem to the other with my new BMC...

First had a lot of problems with brake rub with my new 4.5 enve wheels (those are sended back to ENVE and they will check what is the problem with the wheels).
Then i had a vibrating feeling in my crank and pedals. For sure on the drive side. Vibrating feeling is still a little bit there after rinding more then 50 hours on the bike.
And since today i have a ticking noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBQbq7dvbKk

Dammit this bike is cursed!

benjaminm3

by benjaminm3

ODC wrote:Pfft i'm going from the one problem to the other with my new BMC...

First had a lot of problems with brake rub with my new 4.5 enve wheels (those are sended back to ENVE and they will check what is the problem with the wheels).
Then i had a vibrating feeling in my crank and pedals. For sure on the drive side. Vibrating feeling is still a little bit there after rinding more then 50 hours on the bike.
And since today i have a ticking noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBQbq7dvbKk

Hmm,
I think I have a similar noise, if you look at the vertical bolts that hold the saddle, are those touching it by any chance?

ODC

by ODC

benjaminm3 wrote:
ODC wrote:Pfft i'm going from the one problem to the other with my new BMC...

Hmm,
I think I have a similar noise, if you look at the vertical bolts that hold the saddle, are those touching it by any chance?

Nothing to do with the saddle.
Have it also out of the saddle.

benjaminm3

by benjaminm3

Oh hmm, it sounds like it's coming from the drivetrain. Can you reproduce it when the bike isn't moving?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Play in the pedal body or spindle. If you have spare pedals, swap them in briefly and see if the tick goes away.

bilwit

by bilwit

Conza wrote:
TonyM wrote:

Honestly—I looked at every brand I knew of; and nothing really pipped the idea of the those clean lines, disc brakes, di2, carbon wheels, and it being a BMC. Also liked the colours; black/grey - timeless really. Any suggestions for something similar? :o

I just didn't realise the weight is probably going to be about 8kg? Like for $7.5k ($RRP 9,999) I'd have thought it'd be far lighter than that :? . It is meant to arrive in January.

Sounds like you're looking for the 2018 Emonda instead? Tobin's Emonda disc is ~7.1kg and they have some pretty deep wheels on it. Shallower wheels (maybe 40mm or 45mm) could make up the SRAM->Shimano difference and could also go WW on the bars & stem if need be. I myself preferred the sharp semi-aero lines of the Teammachine but weight wasn't a big concern for me with the rim brake version.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bilwit wrote:Sounds like you're looking for the 2018 Emonda instead? Tobin's Emonda disc is ~7.1kg and they have some pretty deep wheels on it. Shallower wheels (maybe 40mm or 45mm) could make up the SRAM->Shimano difference and could also go WW on the bars & stem if need be. I myself preferred the sharp semi-aero lines of the Teammachine but weight wasn't a big concern for me with the rim brake version.

I've got a set of Alto 40mm hookless wheels coming in tomorrow that should get the weight around 6.9kg. If I swapped saddles and bar/stem, I could drop the weight another 180g or so.

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

How would you describe the handling on this bike? I'm interested in it but after reading the geometry chart to see the fork trail of 76-63mm depending on size, I'm worried that it'd be too 'stable'. I'm used to riding a bike with 58mm trail.

Conza

by Conza

Hi,

Thanks for the email.

The SLR01 Disc ONE weight is 7.4 kg

I believe this is for a 54cm, but there’s not a massive difference in the sizes being only small amounts of additional carbon fibre.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Dave
BMC Brand Manager

:o . How did we end up with thinking 8kg again? :lol:

I guess pedals +200g, and cages +50g. I can live what that though now... I think :oops:

cpark

by cpark

g32ecs wrote:
AndreLM wrote:
Well done! Rim brakes for me until this whole mess is sorted out...

See, I'm itching for a purchase right now. I have a Canyon thread + Allez Sprint thread + revived my old Felt thread.

I just don't know which direction to go. I want new wheels, but the newer ones are too wide for my 2yr old Felt. I want a Canyon disc Aeroad, but this whole disc thing is still a mess right now. I want an Allez Sprint, but the frame I want isn't available where I live + not sure about the tire clearance.

Looks like I'd have to stay with my current set up or get some Zipp 404s which will solve my tire clearance issues. I can also wait for Canyon to arrive in the US and get in the disc bandwagon with the Aeroad.

Anyway, going back to the BMCs - having ridden 3 models (SLR01, RM01 and my RoadRacer), they produce top notch bikes. I have no doubt they're putting a brilliant product here and Greg's been winning a ton this year (I believe he was riding a prototype in one of the races?).

Their retail price is another story though. Riis' gotta pay GVA, TJ, Ritchie and the band of reliable domestiques.

Chiming in little late.
Which one did you end up getting?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com