Removing PF30 adapter, need the wisdom of WW!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

I bought a Parlee Z5 last fall and installed a Parlee PF30 to standard 24mm adaptor (so I could use my Quarq crank set). The drive side bearings felt kind of rough, but I thought it only needed to get worn it. Well, it's getting worse and worse to the point where the crank spins about 1 revolution if you spin it by hand and let go. Obviously, I need to replace the drive side adaptor. Said and done, ordered another set of Parlee PF30 to HollowTech adaptors and the Park Tool to remove the BB30/PF30, not thinking about the fact that the diameter of the adaptors I have is of course smaller, so the tool won't fit. How the heck do I remove the adaptors from the frame? Can I tap it out somehow? Any special tool I need for that?
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Don't you need one of these? http://www.parktool.com/product/pressfi ... t-bbt-90-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You know, I wouldn't fancy the chances of the replacement adapter fitting any better than the first. With each adapter fitting/removal the fit must get looser and looser.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

That's probably the tool for it.

It really has nothing to do with the fit of the adaptors... that's not the problem at all. The bearings in the drive side feels more square than round, hence the need to remove the adaptor and replace it.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

nhluhr

by nhluhr

There's also a tool from problem solvers called the "TL0099" that is meant for pressing 24mm adapter bottom brackers out of PF30 frames. The possible issue with just using the Park Tool 90.3 is it could push the bearing itself out of the adapter cup. I'm sure by now you've long since accomplished this but I figured I'd post just in case somebody else finds this in a search.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

When I spoke with Parlee about their cups, they suggested that once they are pressed in to a frame, there was no actual need to remove them. If the bearings needed changing, he suggested simply pressing them out of the cups and pressing new bearings in, leaving the cups in place.

What tools could one use for that?

nhluhr

by nhluhr

So just the Park BBT-90.3 to push out the cartridge bearing itself, leaving the Parlee aluminum piece in place. Then, if one needed to remove the Parlee pieces you'd use a normal BB30 removal tool (like the Park BBT-30.3) Cool.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Thanks Nhluhr.

simplemind

by simplemind

Reviving this older thread because I have the same question. I need to remove the Parlee Adapter to put it in another frame. The 90.3 will get the bearing, but way too small for the adapter. Has anyone actually removed a Parlee adapter? If so, how and what tool? Btw, I would like to re-use the adapter. Muchas Gracias
Last edited by simplemind on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

BdaGhisallo wrote:When I spoke with Parlee about their cups, they suggested that once they are pressed in to a frame, there was no actual need to remove them. If the bearings needed changing, he suggested simply pressing them out of the cups and pressing new bearings in, leaving the cups in place.

What tools could one use for that?

that is correct. you can use the Enduro BRT-002 and just extract the 30mm bearings out of there. that's what i do. and since all my bikes are PF30, the Enduro tool has been great.
the Park Tool is a little rough as you need to strike it with a hammer to knock it out. i suppose you can do it gently. the Enduro BRT-002 uses a expandable collet. that fits in the 30mm bearing...and you just extract it out by screwing in the bolt.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc