S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

flafonta

by flafonta

morganb wrote:R9100 brakes on both of those?

I could not find them anywhere, so I temporarily got an ugly mismatch of prev gen DA in back and brand new Ultegra model upfront. I'll fix this once I find DA brakes.

meeRoad

by meeRoad

Yes - R9100 on mine
S-Works Tarmac SL6
Colnago C59
Canyon Ultimate
CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flafonta

by flafonta

meeRoad wrote:

Yes - R9100 on mine

Any issue between the red shifters and the Shimano brakes, which apparently have different pull ratios?

ollie3856

by ollie3856

flafonta wrote:
meeRoad wrote:

Yes - R9100 on mine

Any issue between the red shifters and the Shimano brakes, which apparently have different pull ratios?

I have the same setup (eTap with DA brakes) and they work exceptionally well, considerably better than the eebrakes fwiw

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

ollie3856 wrote:
flafonta wrote:
meeRoad wrote:

Yes - R9100 on mine

I have the same setup (eTap with DA brakes) and they work exceptionally well, considerably better than the eebrakes fwiw

I have the same setup eTap with DA brakes and it has been flawless

nonamed

by nonamed

What etap crankset is needed for SL6 ? BB30 or GXP version?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

nonamed wrote:What etap crankset is needed for SL6 ? BB30 or GXP version?

Same as every other Specialized. BB30 "natively" or GXP with a more substantial conversion BB.

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

are there any good reviews yet?

chrisbint

by chrisbint

Pschnei3 wrote:are there any good reviews yet?

Not a particularly in-depth reivew, but I have had my Ultralight for a week or so now and can honestly say it has exceeded my expectations in every way. My last bike was an s-works with DA 9100, Zipp 404 NSW, Aerofly bars, Power meter. The ultralight is stock at the moment, but I do intend to add the quarq spider to the s-works crank and change the bars back to Aerofly with 25mm rise. (I have shoulder issues that need more stack but don't like having a high stem!)

Ultralight is lighter (obviously) approximately 800g.
Ultralight is subjectively faster.
Ultralight handles subjectively better, it at least has not lost the handing characteristics of the last model, which was my main concern with the frame change.
Ultralight is subjectively more comfortable. Yet to do anything over 60 miles as yet, but feels good up to that.
Climbs better.
Sprints better.

How much of the above is in my head I do not know, but it is definitely one hell of a bike.

Thanks

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

chrisbint wrote:
Pschnei3 wrote:are there any good reviews yet?

Not a particularly in-depth reivew, but I have had my Ultralight for a week or so now and can honestly say it has exceeded my expectations in every way. My last bike was an s-works with DA 9100, Zipp 404 NSW, Aerofly bars, Power meter. The ultralight is stock at the moment, but I do intend to add the quarq spider to the s-works crank and change the bars back to Aerofly with 25mm rise. (I have shoulder issues that need more stack but don't like having a high stem!)

Ultralight is lighter (obviously) approximately 800g.
Ultralight is subjectively faster.
Ultralight handles subjectively better, it at least has not lost the handing characteristics of the last model, which was my main concern with the frame change.
Ultralight is subjectively more comfortable. Yet to do anything over 60 miles as yet, but feels good up to that.
Climbs better.
Sprints better.

How much of the above is in my head I do not know, but it is definitely one hell of a bike.

Thanks

thanks, appreciate the write up! :D

morganb

by morganb

Glad to hear that the handling characteristics are similar. I was worried that they would mess with what was already close to perfection. The trail figure looks only 1mm different on my size. I'm leaning towards waiting for the disc bike if they can be built up sub 15 without too much difficulty.

flyingbink1

by flyingbink1

Built up completed : super sagan frame
sram e tap
ee brakes
Roval 40 mm wheels
Stem en Aerofly bar Specialized
Saddle specialized
Quarq power meter
AB oval rings
Garmin 820

Having the bike for over 2 weeks now : first ride impressing : the frame is a whole improvement compaired with previous SL4 . Regidity of the frame at the back is very well , accellerating after a corner is very good , comfort as mentioned by others on bad road has improved a lot . AB oval rings are compaired to Rotor q rings also an improvement . Ee brakes function very well together with S ram leviers.

pierrot

by pierrot

Mine in size 56

6380 gr.

Very fast bike...

Resized_20170916_093308.jpg

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

flyingbink1 wrote:Built up completed : super sagan frame
sram e tap
ee brakes
Roval 40 mm wheels
Stem en Aerofly bar Specialized
Saddle specialized
Quarq power meter
AB oval rings
Garmin 820

Having the bike for over 2 weeks now : first ride impressing : the frame is a whole improvement compaired with previous SL4 . Regidity of the frame at the back is very well , accellerating after a corner is very good , comfort as mentioned by others on bad road has improved a lot . AB oval rings are compaired to Rotor q rings also an improvement . Ee brakes function very well together with S ram leviers.

Appreciate the write up

morganb

by morganb

pierrot wrote:Mine in size 56

6380 gr.

Very fast bike...

Resized_20170916_093308.jpg

I love that color scheme, I've been tired of red/white/black bikes but they managed to pull that one off well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com