Modolo Kronos

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Hi guys, thought you might like to see these little jewels I bought for my timetrial bike, there was a Ebay link to these in the for sale section and I was the winning bidder. Pretty light don't you think? Weight is without the back nuts. I'm under no illusions about the stopping power compared to modern brakes, but they sure look sweet! They are gonna go on my CAAD7 timetrial machine which I've nearly finished updating for this year, I'll post pics in the next few days.
Attachments
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommy

by tommy

what are those??? :D

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Modolo Kronos brake calipers.
Ti or dye!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

CAADHEAD wrote:I'm under no illusions about the stopping power compared to modern brakes, but they sure look sweet!

Stopping power was crap compared to most brakes at the time! Check for cracks frequently as they're prone to failure.

Nice and light though!

Villadsen

by Villadsen

I have a pair myself. Not sure I would call them "brakes" though. They don't brake your bike it only slows it down.

marko

by marko

I have the shift levers and had the brake levers. Couldn't afford the calipers back in 85-86.

Gold Knight

by Gold Knight

I remember quite well using these in a time trial (my one and only time). The time trial was 20 miles (10 up and 10 back). I was in pretty good form back then and during the 180 degree "turn" I applied the brakes--or lack of!!!! as I tried to turn a 180 at almost full speed. I didn't make it as my body forced a "snap" to my Vitus carbon frame top tube right in half as I tumbled into a creek that was on the side of the road.

I urge you WWs to be carefull with these little black critters!!!
:smartass: DO NOT RIDE AN AX-LIGHTNESS FORK :smartass:

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Crikey!I'd better be carefull then. Mind yoy, I've been using Profile bullet brake levers for the last few years, so am well used to lack of brake power on my timetrial bike!
Ti or dye!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

CAADHEAD wrote:Crikey!I'd better be carefull then. Mind yoy, I've been using Profile bullet brake levers for the last few years, so am well used to lack of brake power on my timetrial bike!
Bear in mind that Kronos levers were plastic, so it was hard to exert a lot of pressure. Hence the lack of power but also I seem to remember that the ones I saw crack were mated to Dia Compe aero levers in metal.

FORT TT

by FORT TT

CAADHEAD wrote:Crikey!I'd better be carefull then. Mind yoy, I've been using Profile bullet brake levers for the last few years, so am well used to lack of brake power on my timetrial bike!

Profile bullet? What is that?=
turbo pepper wrote:
You have to question the UCI. If someone had invented the wheel today, the UCI would be banning it !

mises

by mises

Where's your nerve? I used them for a number of months years ago when my weekends always included a 6 km 7.5% switchback descent. I was young and foolish but it was possible - at least until they cracked!

As long as you check them regularly they should be ok for a TT. Then you can retire them to use as artwork without the rubber covers. Their miniature mechanical guts are very cool.

Pantani

by Pantani

velocity adjusters

wally318

by wally318

A few words of experience. I have these on my TT bike and don't find them to be a problem for the intended purpose. Mind you I also have a road bike with the CLB compact calipers that have aluminum center bolts that I take through switchbacks. In the early 80's In a conversation with Gary Klein of Klein bicycles he brought to my attention the low mechanical advantage of the short caliper arms and short internal pivot linkages and suggested they would work best with most of the pads ground off, which I have done. Also instead of using the stock sintered pads I found that some CLB pads retro-fit with a bit of grinding and the softer rubber grabs better.
AEROLITUS-defender of the faith

PNuT

by PNuT

FORT TT wrote:

Profile bullet? What is that?=

profile quickstop levers :lol: they got discontinued over safety fears :lol:

i cant find any pictures on the net which is probably a good thing
21 for road 27 for mtb :D

FORT TT

by FORT TT

PNuT wrote:
profile quickstop levers :lol: they got discontinued over safety fears :lol:

i cant find any pictures on the net which is probably a good thing

Has nothing to do with Quickstop 2, I hope??? :shock:
turbo pepper wrote:
You have to question the UCI. If someone had invented the wheel today, the UCI would be banning it !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com