Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:22 am 

Hi,

I am riding a Colnago C60 for the last two years (summer bike) and a few months ago some creaking noise was noticeable. And then this nasty creaking noise was louder and louder. So much that it didn't only annoy me but it really came as a warning signal whenever I was about to pass some riders, especially in the short climbs over here; It always appeared whenever I was out of the saddle. For example a guy last week (with a Dogma F8 or F10) said as I passed him on a short climb that my bike/ frame did't sound very healthy etc....

I decided then to check where it could come from....The noise was definitely (!) coming from the cockpit. So I checked everything, bar, stem, fork, re-greased everything with carbon paste. But still there!; Actually even more than before and also then also it seemed to come from the bottom bracket. Or the carbon shoes. And always whenever I was out of the saddle. I decided to google and to read all the threads on WW. So many threads and posts with everything from loctite, to Campagnolo specific, to oil in the spokes, etc... So it could be coming because of so many possible reasons! I figured out BTW that the C60 should not have many creaking noises coming from the BB because of its threaded BB etc... but my C60 was creaking like crazy! And the noise was so loud that I just could not ignore it. It was just upsetting to have such a nice bike (and such expensive :( ) and to have these frustrating creaking noises :evil:

Today I decided to really take time and to check everything, methodically. So by using different pairs of shoes, different pairs of wheels, different QR, checking the torque of the chain bolts, of the crankset, of the BB shells, of all other screws like RD, FD, saddle mount, etc....and to test ride the bike after each modification.

AND I found it !!! :thumbup: It came from the QR in contact with the frame dropouts! :!: I used some carbon paste between the QR and the dropouts and the noise disappeared! :thumbup: (Let's hope now that it will now stay silent also :( )

So guys, whenever you have some creaking noise, look for it and check everything systematically...be patient and you will find it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 am 

Yeah, pleased you have silence again, QR's do seem to be a common cause for weird noises. They are often suggested as the first place to look.

BB

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 am 

Thanks for sharing your story. Even as I read the thread title, I said to myself, "another damn QR creaking".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:04 am 

Same happened to my friend bike when he replaced his Campagnolo Skewers for ultra light Tune or something.. So he switched back, and that's how i give up of changing my Capagnolo Skewers.

I wonder what kind of QR u use on ur bike?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:35 am 

3Pio wrote:
Same happened to my friend bike when he replaced his Campagnolo Skewers for ultra light Tune or something.. So he switched back, and that's how i give up of changing my Capagnolo Skewers.

I wonder what kind of QR u use on ur bike?

I am using on my Bora Ultra 50 the Lightweight skewers (actually made from Tune) with the CrMo Steel axle. That's also the one which came with my LW Meilenstein.
https://shop.lightweight.info/tag/schnellspanner/
They work fine but they just need now some carbon paste :wink:

I personally would be careful with the tune skewers with aluminum or titanium axle but maybe I am too cautious.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm 
Shop Owner

Dura Ace or Campagnolo skewers ftw. Lightweight and similar style skewers tend to lack the clamping power necessary to prevent slipping or creaking. Great call on checking the skewers, most bikes that come into the shop with a "Bottom Bracket" noise end up being a loose rear skewer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:51 pm 

["bearsdidit"]Dura Ace or Campagnolo skewers ftw. Lightweight and similar style skewers tend to lack the clamping power necessary to prevent slipping or creaking. Great call on checking the skewers, most bikes that come into the shop with a "Bottom Bracket" noise end up being a loose rear skewer and a $50 repair charge.]

Fixed it for you. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:23 pm 
Shop Owner

Asteroid wrote:
["bearsdidit"]Dura Ace or Campagnolo skewers ftw. Lightweight and similar style skewers tend to lack the clamping power necessary to prevent slipping or creaking. Great call on checking the skewers, most bikes that come into the shop with a "Bottom Bracket" noise end up being a loose rear skewer and a $50 repair charge.]

Fixed it for you. :mrgreen:

:beerchug: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:17 am 

This is why i try to use Campy skewers on all my wheels

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:55 am 

I had used the Extralite Aliens 4 QRs. No funny noises but they lack the clamping power to keep the wheels centered. And I'm no heavyweight at 62kg. So I went back to the Campy QRs. But they are too heavy and psychologically they are a burden especially when I make a PR attempt on Strava. So I found some very nice Mavic QRs that use a titanium rod and interval cam. They are around 80g a pair but they work exceptionally well. I liked them so much I bought a second pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:13 pm 

Those Mavic skewers are excellent. What I do with the "tune style" skewers from ebay is clamp them closed then rotate another 90 degrees or so to assure enough force.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:22 pm 

I had a very similar issue (different bike) and greasing the QR helped a bit, though the noise kept coming back. I think I've fixed it now - I *think* that it was an ever-so-slightly loose cup on my cartridge bearing wheel. I tightened that up and the creaking seems to have gone away (knock on wood).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 pm 

Same thing when I tried Tune skewers, never used them since! Drove me nuts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:49 am 

interesting

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:49 am