A couple of Mavic UST wheel questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Can the Mavic UST (tubeless) wheels be run as regular clinchers with an inner tube?

Also, I take it that if you do run them tubeless you need to use Mavic's Yksion UST tires only? I can't use another brand's tubeless tire?

Thanks.

c60rider

by c60rider

I can only speak for the new open pro UST rim that mavic say is tubeless (UST) compatible and tubed clincher tyre compatible. I'm going to be running veloflex master 25mm with latex tubes on them and no plans to run tubeless. Although according to ETRTO tables a rim with inner width 19c that these are should be compatible with 28mm plus tyres. I can say the 25mm veloflex, which generally measures up small amongst other 25mm like the GP4000 and Corsa G+, they've actually come up huge compared with fitting them to a 17c rim.

From what I know of UST is that the tyres need to be UST compatible and only Mavic make tyres that are compatible so they won't guarantee performance otherwise ie that other tubeless tyres won't blow off the rim. I believe Mavic want to make UST a tubeless standard in the industry and will release the data about the tolerances they use eventually. There's sure to be others who know a lot more about tubeless tyres but it's something I don't want to run.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jspaceman wrote:Can the Mavic UST (tubeless) wheels be run as regular clinchers with an inner tube?

Also, I take it that if you do run them tubeless you need to use Mavic's Yksion UST tires only? I can't use another brand's tubeless tire?

Thanks.

1) You can run regular clinchers with a tube. No tape is required since there are no rough edges / spoke holes to cover up.
2) You can run any tubeless tire. Most tires are slightly smaller diameter to ensure a tight fit.

The current fastest tubeless tire is the Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR, a race-day only tire that only has a few hundred miles worth of tread life. The best all-around tire is probably the Schwalbe Pro One. It's fast, has decent tread life and readily available anywhere. It has minimal puncture protection, but that's what Orange Seal is for. Buy Pro Ones one size smaller than you normally would.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Those ERTRO table are really starting to annoy me. dont look at them use your common sense people. back in the ninties I had MTB rim of 17mm internal width with 2.0" tyres on them. I am still here as is most who rode MTB's back in the 90's none has have died because out tyre where too wide for our rims.

Pro one are a race tyre too you know not an all rounder the way I define it. Sealant is good but it does not fill every hole and getting my bike sprayed with selant means I would have to clean it. I hate cleaning my bike I really hate doing it so any tyre that make me do it I hate with a passion.

you can use any brand of clincher or tubeless tyre say mavic. I have talked to them. again use your common sense please they would not release something that would be dangerous with non UST tyres as that would be terminal for them.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I consider Pro Ones best all-around because they are the closest analog to the Conti GP4K SII on the tubeless side. They tick most of the boxes. They're inexpensive, widely available, roll fast and have decent tread life.

Running tubeless without 30mL of sealant makes little sense to me. My bike gets almost as dirty riding through a single puddle. The only hard places to clean off Orange Seal are the tough angles right at the FD braze-on. I'd rather get a little spritz on my butt or frame than spend extra time putting in a tube on the side of the road in the cold or under a sweltering sun.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think the conti gp 4000s are out dated tyres with o. K grip, insufficient wear life, insufficent puncture resistance and passable comfort. Like you said the pro one is similar. You get what you pay for.

I put sealant in my tyres too. I never said i did not. i would rather have tubeless tyres that rarely puncture if thdy do at all. I have such tyres. I also never carry a tube. Flexible superglue and worms can get me out of trouble but the last time i needed them was last november.

saba

by saba

jspaceman wrote:Can the Mavic UST (tubeless) wheels be run as regular clinchers with an inner tube?

My Mavic Ksyrium Allroad Pro's came with tyres that were mounted with tubes. Yes, they can be run as regular clinchers with inner tubes.
jspaceman wrote:Also, I take it that if you do run them tubeless you need to use Mavic's Yksion UST tires only? I can't use another brand's tubeless tire?

Any tubeless tyre works. I'm using Schwalbe G-One Speeds setup tubelessly without any issues.

simplemind

by simplemind

How are you guys liking the Allroads? My new Parlee came with them and I am curious whether to keep them or sell while new.

saba

by saba

simplemind wrote:How are you guys liking the Allroads? My new Parlee came with them and I am curious whether to keep them or sell while new.

They're brilliant. Even better now that they are steeply discounted. 40T star ratchet hubs, stiff and strong rims. They're 19mm internal... for 2018, Mavic moved many of their rims over to the Allroad rims (17mm previously to 19mm now).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com