S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Samklee15

by Samklee15

mbdurham17 wrote:Wow got me excited I ordered my 54 UL frame in first of July and wasn't expecting delivery until October. Gonna follow up with my LBS tomorrow to see if there are any updates on shipping.

Can anyone tell me where is a good place in the US to order ee brakes? I may neeed tonorder them earlier than I thought. I'd hate to have to ride with no brakes of the frame comes in early lol

Ultralight frames are still estimated to be October. The only ultralights being delivered now are complete bikes.

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

Samklee15 wrote:
mbdurham17 wrote:Wow got me excited I ordered my 54 UL frame in first of July and wasn't expecting delivery until October. Gonna follow up with my LBS tomorrow to see if there are any updates on shipping.

Can anyone tell me where is a good place in the US to order ee brakes? I may neeed tonorder them earlier than I thought. I'd hate to have to ride with no brakes of the frame comes in early lol

Ultralight frames are still estimated to be October. The only ultralights being delivered now are complete bikes.

Well crap not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the info

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

QBP (pretty much every bike shop in the US has an account with them) is now a distributor, you should be able to get them from the shop you got the frame. I haven't seen them discounted anywhere online that I can think of.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

If you saying that you can get a new Specialized frame from an aftermarket vendor, I think you are mistaken. If I was a Specialized dealer, I certainly would voice my concern.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

He's talking about EEs since they're sold by Cane Creek now

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

morganb wrote:

QBP (pretty much every bike shop in the US has an account with them) is now a distributor, you should be able to get them from the shop you got the frame. I haven't seen them discounted anywhere online that I can think of.

Great thank you

cho00010

by cho00010

Has anyone managed to get their hands on the Tarmac Pro yet? Looks like a decent spec, although I'd imagine a little on the heavy side. Anyone got a weight?

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Not sure if you've ordered them yet, but you should order two direct mount "front" brakes. That's what the UL ships with and it's actually recommended on the EE website. I didn't know and ordered a "front" and "rear" set for my SS frame. The "rear" brake fits the frame fine, but the cable touches the frame when the brake is pulled. I'm using Jagwite Elite cables and added a couple of links to move the cable away from the frame. It still touches the frame but not as much. I also put a piece of vinyl to protect the paint.

The "rear" fitment is meant for under the BB frames, not in the traditional seat stay mount. The setup works fine, but the UL doesn't have the same issue with the housing touching the frame. I actually prefer the spring tension of the "rear" brake, the front spring is definitely weaker, at least on my set.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

polzag10 wrote:Image

Can I install the rear eebrake direct mount on the rear at the seat stay of sworks tarmac sl6? Because I saw the photo of ultralight ver., they install two front eebrake on front and rear.

I just wanted to clarify this after seeing 2 Ultralights in the flesh on Friday. The 56 I saw had the carbon bridge you see in pictures and had the EE brakes directly mounted to the seat stays. The 54 had an aluminum adapter that spaced and angled the brakes away for the seat stays. This doesn't look as bad as it sounds, but it is not as svelte as the carbon bridge that has been posted in pictures. This would probably mean that if you rode a 54 or smaller you would need to buy this adapter piece from specialized if you wanted to run EE brakes.

Delorre

by Delorre

pyrahna wrote:
Can I install the rear eebrake direct mount on the rear at the seat stay of sworks tarmac sl6? Because I saw the photo of ultralight ver., they install two front eebrake on front and rear.

I just wanted to clarify this after seeing 2 Ultralights in the flesh on Friday. The 56 I saw had the carbon bridge you see in pictures and had the EE brakes directly mounted to the seat stays. The 54 had an aluminum adapter that spaced and angled the brakes away for the seat stays. This doesn't look as bad as it sounds, but it is not as svelte as the carbon bridge that has been posted in pictures. This would probably mean that if you rode a 54 or smaller you would need to buy this adapter piece from specialized if you wanted to run EE brakes.[/quote]

And loose part of the weight savings from using the EE's :?

orange

by orange

as we're discussing the brakes .....

I'm still not sure if I should get the EE brakes of just stick to Dura-ace but I notice that shimano DO make a different brake front and rear. This is in addition to their chainstay mount rear brake. So you need:

BR-R9110-F (front)
BR-R9110-RS (rear seat stay)

The differences are listed as the pad shoes and "internal components" - although I suspect two BR-R9110-F will work too.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

Delorre wrote:And loose part of the weight savings from using the EE's :?

I don't know for a fact, as I didn't tear apart the bike to weigh the individual component, but I would hazard the guess that the EE brake w/ the adapter is still significantly lighter than the Dura-Ace direct mount brake. Yes it cuts into the weight savings, but the option on a smaller frame is to run it with the adapter or not be able to run it at all.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

pyrahna wrote:
Delorre wrote:And loose part of the weight savings from using the EE's :?

I don't know for a fact, as I didn't tear apart the bike to weigh the individual component, but I would hazard the guess that the EE brake w/ the adapter is still significantly lighter than the Dura-Ace direct mount brake. Yes it cuts into the weight savings, but the option on a smaller frame is to run it with the adapter or not be able to run it at all.

When I swapped my Venge from DA9000 brakes to eebrakes, the weight went from 285, down to 156.

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

Went by my LBS this morning and he called specialized to check on the status of my frame. The good news is I am number 18 in line so no worry about not getting one of the first ones but the ship date is still the end of October. Also he can order the ee for $283 each (fronts) and have them in 2 weeks. Now looks like I need to make sure the adapter mentioned is included with the frame since mine is 54 or if it's something I need to purchase seperatley from specialized or cane creek. Thanks all for the info
Last edited by mbdurham17 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

53x12

by 53x12

^ You can order them yourself for $283 as well.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Cane-Creek-Ee- ... s?cs=Black
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com