2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Delorre

by Delorre

jkarbel wrote:I haven't figured out how to post bigger pics. I'd love to share the beautiful pics I took but the site says the max file size is 160 KB.
Depending on the wheel you choose you may have difficulty getting a 28 in this frame. I have 25s on these Specialized wheels and they measure out to 28 mm. There is a good amount of clearance as shown but a 28 would end up over 30 and would be a tight squeeze if it fit at all.
The Defy SL would totally take a 28 on wide rims.

Thx!! What make you think a Defy will clear 28 tyre? The fork seems to be the same as The tcr. Could you do one last favor? With your 25mm conti's on the same wide Rovals I have, how much mm do you have between the top (and the side) of tyre and the fork. Very easy to check with an allen key :wink: Clearance at the back seems more generous as at the front, so don't mind to measure that. Thx again!!

Delorre

by Delorre

jlok wrote:
Didn't count all the grams but still...

Frame: 955g size S, ISP uncut
Fork: 329g uncut
Seat mast: 131g with all spacers
Headset cap: 27g with all spacers and bolt
Expander: 48g (tempted to try the AirCap glue on expander...)
Front/Rear wheel axles: 64/75g

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Is the headset included in the frame weight? Every bit of the frameset is there, exept the headset baerings :wink: I ask because I saw a real weight (for a painted production frame incl all alu bits) of 915gr for a (supposedly heavier) Defy SL in size M and 370 for it's uncut fork, not clear if that is incl expander or not... Seat mast was 140, so not far off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

I think the bearings were not counted given the way I weighed the frame. Sorry I forgot and not sure but I think not included.

Heard that the Defy Adv SL Disc frame has been designed lighter than TCR. Maybe I read that from BikeRadar.

Anyway, the current gen of TCR Adv SL Disc is an me-too stop gap solution IMO. Look forward to seeing next gen TCR Adv SL Disc.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Delorre

by Delorre

jlok wrote:I think the bearings were not counted given the way I weighed the frame. Sorry I forgot and not sure but I think not included.

Heard that the Defy Adv SL Disc frame has been designed lighter than TCR. Maybe I read that from BikeRadar.

Anyway, the current gen of TCR Adv SL Disc is an me-too stop gap solution IMO. Look forward to seeing next gen TCR Adv SL Disc.

OK, thx! I see you use a160mm rotor at the front. I suppose you simply reversed the Shimano adaptor to do so?

jlok

by jlok

@Delorre yea just reverse it.

I do like the newer designs that forgo the adaptor, like BMC and Open UPPER.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

alpinestar

by alpinestar

That is such a nice bike! Reaaaaaly dig the blue/orange! :D

What topcap are you running? Looking for a lighter one then the original Giant OD one.

jlok

by jlok

alpinestar wrote:That is such a nice bike! Reaaaaaly dig the blue/orange! :D

What topcap are you running? Looking for a lighter one then the original Giant OD one.

Thanks~ I'm using the original cap. Light cap for that steerer tube size is difficult to find...

damond

by damond

Cheaper Giant models have a nicer and much lighter cap. I am using one on my TCR adv SL. Fits perfect and very important for me, it has 0 stack!

The same as this one:

addict

by addict

jlok

by jlok

Yeah I think it’s time to put that Aircap on to lose weight.

JS300

by JS300

jlok wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 am
alpinestar wrote:That is such a nice bike! Reaaaaaly dig the blue/orange! :D

Thanks~ I'm using the original cap. Light cap for that steerer tube size is difficult to find...
I see you're already using a Ritchey stem, but FWIW, I just swapped my stock Contact SL stem for a carbon Contact SLR. The SLR stem came with a flat top cap that was a good bit lighter than stock.

spartan

by spartan

great build. have you investigated replacing the heavy stock thru axles ?

cheers
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

jlok

by jlok

I wanted to change them but after a crash I realize that the axle lever actually saved the frame, it took the hit tgt with the saddle and sadly the shifters. I think I won't change it.......