beer and cycling

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

saletel

by saletel

ok, so i like my booze a lot. and i was curious as to how often everyone on here drinks and how it interferes with their training. i'm just recreational and a college student (hence the booze)

kite flyer

by kite flyer

I don't. Alcohol and me do not mix (medical reason).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yoko

by yoko

No alcohol and no nicotine in my body !!!

bobalou

by bobalou

saletel wrote:ok, so i like my booze a lot. and i was curious as to how often everyone on here drinks and how it interferes with their training. i'm just recreational and a college student (hence the booze)

I love beer and think it's a fine source of carbs as long as you're sensible about it (as long as it's not before the ride!). In fact I think a little alcohol is good for you, particularly wine with the antioxidents. But dude, if you're in college you aint sippin no wine are you? Are you talking beer bongs and shots with beer chasers?? LOL. It's not going to help the training!

saletel

by saletel

beer bongs (until my roomate threw it away by accident). shots and chugging. i mean campagnolo deserves it right?

Tippster

by Tippster

I once had 8 pints of stella and cycled 6 to 8 miles back home from the pub down some back lanes at midnight without lights.

The training effect I was after was increased concentration and speed.

The training effect I achieved was to fall off into a road side verge while looking behind me for traffic, as I pulled out to over take parked traffic.

Nothing bruised but pride!
Last edited by Tippster on Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Did you say you are a recereational college student :wink:

I don't drink either but it's a personal choice and nothing to do with training.
However I would imagine the hangovers would cause problems for training/racing.

Brian

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

alcohol is a cell venom. Thats why the liver is on red alert and taking out all alcohol first. All processes the liver normaly does after a hard training/race are blocked while the alcohol is inside the blood. Thats why yu regenerate slower. More alcohol means just more time to regenerate. Shouldnt be a problem. Yu dont lose performance cause of one or two beer. :oops:

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

every pro I know likes to drink, at least a little. Seems most of the European based guys drink wine, the domestics(US) drink beer.

I've never been a heavy drinker, but I did have one night of serious boozing and whoring the night before a collegiate crit. Events went like this: drank like a fish, had our "recreation", passed out, woke up, and had the best collegiate race of my career. Who says booze is a bad thing? ;)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Racing Aardvark wrote:Who says booze is a bad thing? ;)

Who says alcohol makes your blood more fluid?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

guys, there's a guy in South Wales who actually rides better if he's had a skinful the night before.

In the recent P&O Tour of the North, he went on a bit of a bender the night before the prologue. The next day he looked like death warmed up but he broke the record for the Prologue course.

www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/20 ... 4/north041

That night he went out again to have a few jars and started the next stage slightly the worse for wear. The chief commissaire radioed this rider's team car.."Energy cycles; can you confirm that the rider off the front is the same rider in the Hotel Nightclub at 2.30am this morning".

"yes that's him".

He didn't win overall but he wouldn't have won overall had he been sober.

He has also run a half marathon in under 90 mins the morning after the night before.

Proper hero.........

saletel

by saletel

awesome. a real hero to the college athlete :lol:

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Saletel, you need to complete your studies here in South Wales. The rider in question is also a sports science lecturer of all things!

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Another reason for studies in South Wales. Over a 3 week period I was doing the same race on a Saturday.

wk1. Teetotal for previous month, meticulous preparation, lasted 2 laps before getting dropped.

wk2. Trained as usual, but called home from Uni the night before the race and had a few gins with tonic. Lasted until last time up the big climb before getting dropped.

wk3. Went to an event called "Drink the bar dry" at the Students' Union the day before, started drinking at 11am. Drank gin and tonic for 13 hours straight, conusmed a pizza. Come race day I lost by 1/2 a tyre. I would have won if someone hadn't put me on the grass in the sprint.
Next day I won the Espoir section of my first competitive hilly TT.

There's something in the water around here. In vino veritas!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

regopsp22

by regopsp22

saletel wrote:ok, so i like my booze a lot. and i was curious as to how often everyone on here drinks and how it interferes with their training. i'm just recreational and a college student (hence the booze)

saletel I live about a mile away from the Newcastle Brown Ale brewery :) Can smell the hops when I am working into town sometimes!

Still don't drink the stuff though!