2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Hellgate

by Hellgate

Fromme's Dogma isn't half the bike my Teviso was. POS...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

borist wrote:Lance made an interesting point in his latest podcast - he only got one puncture during his 7 TDFs.

Given this, it's odd that Froome has had so many issues with his bikes this Tour and other races. The gear isn't radically different to other teams (other than the O rings), so why does it keep happening?

I don't think Sky uses the same Continental tires that the other pro teams use, the Pro LTD. I think they use the Competition.... this article is old though, not sure if it's changed since then.

http://www.velonews.com/2015/05/news/sky-tests-new-tires-following-wet-weather-crashes_370474

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

ave wrote:
ooo wrote:
Multebear wrote:BTW did anyone manage to find pics of Kwiato being the domestique of the year carrying like 15 bidons at stage 15?

gif link

Wow, almost perfect loop! Towards the end of the loop he passes a lot of AG2R guys. It would be perfect if he would only pedal past them in the gif. :)

sorry, no time to make it perfect. and one more gif:

sagan heli vs earth footage

gif link
gif link slow
gif link very slow
'

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Pretty sure Sky also using latex pro version Competition ALX in a 25 day to day, same as everyone. Conti really need to sell those, they are great tubs. Maybe they're just a 'halo' thing and too expensive to produce and make margin on.

Stages are ok, Lance does have a different take and he's been in so many situations it's interesting to hear. His 're-acceptance' is b/c people realize now that prob all top sportsman dope in some context so he gets more slack. When his story broke it was an outlier rather than norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ichobi

by ichobi

I don't condone what Lance did, but i enjoyed his daily commentary. The Tour de Pharmacy cameo was just hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

re: punctures

didn't USPS store tires in some humid belgian basement for months or years to make them more 'whatever' thus puncture resistant?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

oh, this is yummy. learn from other's mistakes they say... :roll:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-launches-rant-against-cyclingnews-journalist/

maquisard

by maquisard

Yeah, they did. It is in that 'Road to Paris' documentary on Armstrong. How much difference, if any, storing them in a humid Belgian basement actually made is anyone's guess!

Tires now are lighter and have lower rolling resistance than in Armstrong's era. It is more likely that Armstrong's tires were simply over built and more puncture resistant that is the case nowadays.

Vermu

by Vermu

When team risks punctures and other mechanical issues to gain speed and then complain about waiting?!
Even with 6,8kg limit the chase for marginal gains is getting out of control.

If this is starting to be new trend, then racing should be like in 1 day races. No waiting and just racing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I somehow can't imagine teams puting up with lesser puncture resistance, they'd switch back to old ones in a jiffy. besides I'd wager we don't see that many punctures in crucial moments happening to key riders.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

maquisard wrote:Yeah, they did. It is in that 'Road to Paris' documentary on Armstrong. How much difference, if any, storing them in a humid Belgian basement actually made is anyone's guess!

Tires now are lighter and have lower rolling resistance than in Armstrong's era. It is more likely that Armstrong's tires were simply over built and more puncture resistant that is the case nowadays.

I don't know about that. Old school tubs were pretty light and all the puncture resistance belts are a fairly recent development for tubulars.

dominikk

by dominikk

Simon Špilak adds two years to KATUSHA ALPECIN contract

https://teamkatushaalpecin.com/news/sim ... n-contract
Riding Paniagua - The Future of cycling!

KB

by KB

BdaGhisallo wrote:
maquisard wrote:Yeah, they did. It is in that 'Road to Paris' documentary on Armstrong. How much difference, if any, storing them in a humid Belgian basement actually made is anyone's guess!

I don't know about that. Old school tubs were pretty light and all the puncture resistance belts are a fairly recent development for tubulars.
Agree. The tubs i used in the 60 and 70's were poor compared to what's on the market today. Modern tubs are similar in lightness if a little less supple, but that's a reasonable trade-off given how much better the puncture resistance is. The only benefit I notice from the old tubs was that they folded up smaller than what we have now.

Back then the general consensus was that the longer you let tubs age the better they were. Not sure there was any proof in that, but that was also the era when drinking lots of liquids was perceived to be bad for you!

wingguy

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:re: punctures

didn't USPS store tires in some humid belgian basement for months or years to make them more 'whatever' thus puncture resistant?

From a basement in Belgium...

Caption: Team Sky age the tubs for at least a year in advance for the races. (Decent stock of both retail and Pro LTD version Competitions in there too, plus some FMBs for Roubaix.)

Pretty sure every team does this still, tbh.
Last edited by wingguy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

wingguy wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:re: punctures

From a basement in Belgium...

Caption: Team Sky age the tubs for at least a year in advance for the races.

Pretty sure every team does this still, tbh.

And that's probably not even a grand tour's worth of tubs for them!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com