Colnago, please explain the appeal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Hello,

I read a lot of posts here about colnago and how most of you like them. I just don't get it. Can someone please explain the appeal to me?

I like the new concept but the classical designs like the C60, Cervelo Rs and Canondale Synapse just seems like a bike that was designed 10-20 years ago. Is this like a whiskey thing where you have to keep drinking it till you eventually get it?

Any who, I just don't get it...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

For me: nice paintwork; classical design; rides nicely.

silvalis

by silvalis

fabriciom wrote:classical designs like the C60, Cervelo Rs and Canondale Synapse

:shock: how did you manage to group a cervelo R and cdale synapse with a C60?
Chasse patate

fabriciom

by fabriciom

silvalis wrote:
fabriciom wrote:classical designs like the C60, Cervelo Rs and Canondale Synapse

:shock: how did you manage to group a cervelo R and cdale synapse with a C60?

Because they look like the same sloppy frame design with different paint jobs...

You still did not explain whats the appeal...

samuelcfadams1986

by samuelcfadams1986

I would say that a hand made (created by Italian artisans) C60 shape and Lugged style is completely different to any other frame. Plus the C60 boasts some of the best bike reviews any road bike have ever received, along with a ride quality and brand heritage unrivalled by others. However in fairness every single review states that they didn't get the bike till they rode it. The chief editor of cyclist magazine could have any road bike he wanted but owns a C60 .....................

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Lets try this...

Do you understand my point of view? I mean there is no way I would go for the colnago or the cervelo. Which by the way they look like the same thing to me or at least the do the same for me. Which is nothing...

wingguy

by wingguy

fabriciom wrote:Because they look like the same sloppy frame design with different paint jobs....

Please put your glasses back on! :lol:

Without throwing aero into the mix it would honestly be quite difficult to find 3 more different designs than those....

fabriciom

by fabriciom

samuelcfadams1986 wrote:I would say that a hand made (created by Italian artisans) C60 shape and Lugged style is completely different to any other frame. Plus the C60 boasts some of the best bike reviews any road bike have ever received, along with a ride quality and brand heritage unrivalled by others. However in fairness every single review states that they didn't get the bike till they rode it. The chief editor of cyclist magazine could have any road bike he wanted but owns a C60 .....................

So its a whiskey thing then...

fabriciom

by fabriciom

wingguy wrote:
fabriciom wrote:Because they look like the same sloppy frame design with different paint jobs....

Please put your glasses back on! :lol:

Without throwing aero into the mix it would honestly be quite difficult to find 3 more different designs than those....

I think that the only way I would buy either would be with some thick beer glasses on...

wingguy

by wingguy

fabriciom wrote:Do you understand my point of view? I mean there is no way I would go for the colnago or the cervelo.

Oh ok, so you like aero bikes. That's fine, buy and aero bike. Other people don't care about aero frames and prioritise some other combination of weight, stiffness, handling and ride quality instead.

But aside from being non-aero, there is nothing the same about the design of a C60 and an R5. The design and build of the R5 is actually closer to the DeRosa you pictured. For real.

samuelcfadams1986

by samuelcfadams1986

I think it might be an attention to detail thing. Maybe your better off on a supersix, save the cash and leave the elitist bikes to the pureist fans [emoji106] lol all joking aside it's modern aero styles vs traditional brilliance, brought up to modern standards. The C60 is all about the attention to details

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Yes I'm really thick, I do not get the appeal at all.

Its on the details, its a tradition thing, its a design thing, its the ride quality...
Last edited by fabriciom on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuelcfadams1986

by samuelcfadams1986

wingguy wrote:
fabriciom wrote:Do you understand my point of view? I mean there is no way I would go for the colnago or the cervelo.

Oh ok, so you like aero bikes. That's fine, buy and aero bike. Other people don't care about aero frames and prioritise some other combination of weight, stiffness, handling and ride quality instead.

But aside from being non-aero, there is nothing the same about the design of a C60 and an R5. The design and build of the R5 is actually closer to the DeRosa you pictured. For real.

I completely agree, I've owned a shed load of road bikes including 2 Pinarellos a de rosa a lynskey and have a C60 on order. I don't believe there is another bike made in the same productions process as the C60. The lugged construction is quite individual.

samuelcfadams1986

by samuelcfadams1986

Chap if you don't like Colnagos then you don't like them. No one has said one bike is for all. Any type of bike purchase should be bordering on obsession. Find a bike you love, buy it, ride it , obsess over it, otherwise it's not worth the money. Another great reason to buy a Colnago is the huge range of different sizes and have sloping and traditional styles

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fabriciom

by fabriciom

samuelcfadams1986 wrote:Chap if you don't like Colnagos then you don't like them. No one has said one bike is for all. Any type of bike purchase should be bordering on obsession. Find a bike you love, buy it, ride it , obsess over it, otherwise it's not worth the money. Another great reason to buy a Colnago is the huge range of different sizes and have sloping and traditional styles

I'm trying to understand the appeal of it. Yes you are right I do not like them but I have never ridden one. But to tell you the truth I think if it does not appeal physically I doubt the ride confort could ever fix this.