Focus Izalco Max eTap starting weight 6.62kg current weight 6.46kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

btothec

by btothec

Back in 2014 I got myself a Focus Izalco Max. Fast forward 3 years to one day when I was cleaning it and found cracks through both chain stays.

It was sent back to Focus Australia to see if it was a warranty claim or not. Unfortunately Focus Germany ruled that it wasn't but Focus Australia were kind enough to offer me a frameset for half price and even more fortunately my old frame was covered under the home contents insurance.

So after a long time and with no further ado I wish to reveal the newest member of my family.

Not a super light build by any means but there's a lot of room for the weight to decrease. I've got some titanium spindles and bow ties coming for the pedals as well as a few other bits and pieces.

Any ideas and suggestions about the build or weight savings are muchly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by btothec on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Man, that's CLEAN! Nice build. I would ditch the orange cable protective rubbers for black electric tape trimmed nicely, and remove a link from the rear brake cable to tidy up the cable line a touch. Other than nit-picking, this build is perfect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btothec

by btothec

nd2rc wrote:Man, that's CLEAN! Nice build. I would ditch the orange cable protective rubbers for black electric tape trimmed nicely, and remove a link from the rear brake cable to tidy up the cable line a touch. Other than nit-picking, this build is perfect.

Hit me with any an all nit picking that you want. Seeing I was building it up completely from scratch I didn't have any old brake cable to judge length by. I thought the rear brake length may have been a touch long but also I've never setup an eeBrake before. They worked and it was getting late so I left it at that.

Never thought of using electrical tap instead of the rubber bumpers. Thanks for the tip.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

thats a great bike (nevertheless i personally am not the biggest fan of elctronical groupsets).

what i dont understand:how could focus-germany rule, that those cracks in the chainstays are no warranty claim?

otherwise fantastic build, only the heavy bb would bother me a little bit!

nd2rc

by nd2rc

I feel you on late nights and saying "good enough for now". Ha!

btothec

by btothec

reedplayer wrote:what i dont understand:how could focus-germany rule, that those cracks in the chainstays are no warranty claim?

otherwise fantastic build, only the heavy bb would bother me a little bit!

Focus Germany was of the opinion that the frame had been impacted or compressed in some way.

I'd never crashed it but there was on day when I was putting it on the back seat of my car and the wind blew the door closed hitting the back wheel.

That's the only time I could think it may have happened.

On the heavy bb setup. At some stage in the future I'll swap to a bb30 power meter. I just can't justify the cost when it is in perfect working order.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Build looks good. It looks like you could go to a smaller frame and longer stem. You have the stem slammed and almost no seatpost - but that is purely aesthetics. Also I have used shrinkwrap around the cables to eradicate the orange bumpers or use generic black bumpers.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btothec

by btothec

NiFTY wrote:It looks like you could go to a smaller frame and longer stem. You have the stem slammed and almost no seatpost - but that is purely aesthetics.

Yeah I'm probably right on the border between an xs or s frame with most bikes. I'm only 168cm (5ft6in) but a very solidly built (and too fat at the moment) guy. So on a smaller bike I just look and feel strange.

I'd love to have more seat post showing but alas it isn't to be.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

btothec wrote:
On the heavy bb setup. At some stage in the future I'll swap to a bb30 power meter. I just can't justify the cost when it is in perfect working order.

absolutely comprehensible-those few grams, peanuts. just for the paper! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btothec

by btothec

Have had a few different part arrive over the last week. So spent some time last night fitting them.

Swapped out the ultegra chain and 105 cassette for a kmc x11sl chain and a sram red cassette that I got for a reasonable price on eBay.

Stock stem got changed over to a kalloy uno with regular bolts and change the seat post clamp over to a lighter one.

Brought the weight down by around 200 grams. Other than changing the speedplay spindles and bow ties over when they come I think the build will stay like this until I can justify upgrading the wheels and crankset.