Which veloflex tubular for HED Stingers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I've got some NOS HED Stinger 7s on the way and am wondering what width tire to run. So far I've narrowed it down to either the Veloflex Criteriums at 23mm wide or the Veloflex Roubaix at 25mm wide. I have a lot of experience with their clinchers and love them. Just unsure of the optimal width since the HED Stingers have a 28mm rim width. These wheels will be used mainly for time trials and occasionally criteriums. I weigh 63 kg so extra width for comfort is not much of an issue.

ab01ns

by ab01ns

I really like the criterium. They seems to subjectively roll a bit faster than the Roubaix.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Here's a little whisper from the barn...use the 25s at a minimum. The issue is not the width of the rim, it's the height of the rim sidewalls.

One of the features of the 'new' wheels is that the sides of the rim come up higher than on 'traditional' tubular rims, which is an important part of the aero improvements over the previous generation of wheels. One of the pieces of advice that I got from my pro friends was to use the 25 on the rear to preclude pinch-flatting. At the time, I got a selection of prototype Conti 25s from them. Today, you can buy them stock.

I run my Stingers 23/25 front/rear and have never had a problem (although, I do have a mysterious slow-leak on a 23 following a bumpy TT...) I prefer the feel and steering of the 23s, even though I know it is slower.