Post mount Disc options

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Hey everyone,
Ive got a Stevens CX frame with postmount I haven't built yet, its the version previous to last year when they went flat mount...
Anyways, I was looking at the newly announced Ultegra group, but see the brakes are only listed as flat mount ..
My plan was to get the R785 Di2 shift/post mount setup before the new Ultegra was announed, but I sense this is about to become obsolete..

I have to admit, I know NOTHING about disc brakes so questions are....

1) If I get a set of 785 postmounts, are parts generally interchangeable... by that I mean are pads pretty well the same across the board and easy to get, not one offs specific to THAT model
2) Setting them up... there should be no reason why the new Ultegra shifters won't work with the 785 brake??
3) Are the disc brake units themselves pretty sturdy (ie, they aren't gonna self destruct in a season) what I'm getting at, if I can get a spare set, might be worth it??

Thanks!

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Incidentally I just got off the phone with Shimano about this since my bike is post-mount as well. They confirmed that the new shifters will be compatible with the 785 calipers.
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Awesome.. thanks for the followup!!! :thumbup:

vinuneuro wrote:Incidentally I just got off the phone with Shimano about this since my bike is post-mount as well. They confirmed that the new shifters will be compatible with the 785 calipers.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've been running my 685/785 combo for two (going on three) CX seasons. Those brakes (both the calipers and levers) are damn near indestructible. Keep in mind, the post-mount calipers use mountain bike brake pads, as opposed to the flat-mount pads, which use the smaller "road" pads. Personally, if I'm using the brakes for CX/off-road use, I definitely want the larger pads. Also, I would stay away from the new Dura Ace/Ultegra rotors. I think they're going to get clogged up with mud (my opinion - let's see what develops this season).

I wouldn't bother with a spare set of calipers. These things are built to last!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hope RX4 postmount calipers made to work with 785 shifters is probably most interesting.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

justaute

by justaute

XTR calipers can also be used with R785 levers. Several pro cx racers use this combo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

Shimano have 2 different designs to connect hose with caliper:

BR-R785 - banjo connector (same as XTR, XT, SLX)
BR-RS785 - straight connector (same as Dura-Ace, Ultegra and Deore, Alivio, Acera)

for straight style caliper-hose connection: in future you may not found BR-RS785 caliper replacement and your best PM option will be Deore
(or you have to replace hose to use XTR/XT/SLX, it's hard to find mechanic who can change connector from straight to banjo on old hose)
'