2017 Specialized Allez Sprint LTD II (Now Red Hook Crit)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Was that response meant for me? I'm not from Australia at all, not sure where that came from.... and yes, I'm agreeing with you that Specialized made some choices in terms of materials and design that in order to meet their goals to make an inexpensive, aero, crit killer bike. The idea actually was a morph form the Venge Lunch Race bike, but I think they realized that the carbon Venge wasn't a hugely popular choice amongst the crit cows due to price when/if the bike gets crashed. In terms of your racing experience, I was bringing it up because to me, someone that has gotten to a Cat 3 has put in a fair bit of miles and race time and is usually in pretty good shape. They're more fit and flexible and able to adapt pretty easily to riding a more extreme position... compared to someone that is just a general rider, doing a group ride on the weekend and maybe 1 or 2 fondos a year.

It was but I got your usernames mixed up. I question what you're saying simply because your approach contained a personal jab that was contrary to my point, which agreed with yours. There is nothing inherently "crit" about it's geo. It is aggressive, but a Felt F1 and Speci pro geo used to be as well. The geo is well within what bikes have been made around for decades. It's more aggro than the Tarmac, which has a decently tall stack in many sizes. Nothing about it has anything to do with fitness, crits, or comfort unless one slams too much.

This whole idea of crit rider or crit bike seems to be a phenomenon that has taken place in the past few years as riders that are too unfit/heavy to actually contend any race that requires them to be out of the draft, climb, or have fitness thus pigeonholes them into one style of race. Speci picked up on this nicely and made a bike designed for American racing- even most RRs are just really long crits.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

KWalker wrote:P2M Speci is baller- light, stiff, and looks damn nice. Plus no magnets....

+1 on the P2M. Those newer Sworks cranks look great.

I'm a big fan of frame matched cranks though. Cannondale, Specialized, Look.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Yeah thinking that is the most logical decision, its not the newer arm vriant but is still damn tidy looking and just sell the 9100 crank and praxis BB.
Using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KWalker wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Was that response meant for me? I'm not from Australia at all, not sure where that came from.... and yes, I'm agreeing with you that Specialized made some choices in terms of materials and design that in order to meet their goals to make an inexpensive, aero, crit killer bike. The idea actually was a morph form the Venge Lunch Race bike, but I think they realized that the carbon Venge wasn't a hugely popular choice amongst the crit cows due to price when/if the bike gets crashed. In terms of your racing experience, I was bringing it up because to me, someone that has gotten to a Cat 3 has put in a fair bit of miles and race time and is usually in pretty good shape. They're more fit and flexible and able to adapt pretty easily to riding a more extreme position... compared to someone that is just a general rider, doing a group ride on the weekend and maybe 1 or 2 fondos a year.

It was but I got your usernames mixed up. I question what you're saying simply because your approach contained a personal jab that was contrary to my point, which agreed with yours. There is nothing inherently "crit" about it's geo. It is aggressive, but a Felt F1 and Speci pro geo used to be as well. The geo is well within what bikes have been made around for decades. It's more aggro than the Tarmac, which has a decently tall stack in many sizes. Nothing about it has anything to do with fitness, crits, or comfort unless one slams too much.

This whole idea of crit rider or crit bike seems to be a phenomenon that has taken place in the past few years as riders that are too unfit/heavy to actually contend any race that requires them to be out of the draft, climb, or have fitness thus pigeonholes them into one style of race. Speci picked up on this nicely and made a bike designed for American racing- even most RRs are just really long crits.

I think you're misinterpreting something I said... I didn't take any jabs at you. If you think I was making a crack at you as a Cat 3, that was not my intention, not at all. As someone that's been racing for 3 seasons and is still a Cat 5, I know that getting up to Cat 3 requires a fair bit of time and dedication. I race mostly TT's, so I get no points, but there are a few guys that I started racing with that chose to focus on crits and road races and they've put in their time and have moved up, as you have. I know what it takes and I know those guys are all in good shape. As I said in my previous post, I think that as someone gets more fit, they're able to get into more aggressive positions and stay in their for longer. I think you're trying to place some false definition of crit riders on me and that's not what I said or meant. No where did I say crit riders weren't fit or couldn't climb

I would disagree though in saying that there is nothing inherently crit about the sprint. That is what the bike was designed for. I was designed to be light and stiff and aero. They chose that seat post and seat tube to be aero, not for comfort, because the idea was that people wouldn't be riding them for LONG races, they'd be using them for crits. That's why the initial batch was 1x, because the idea was that people don't need a climbing gear for a crit. It wasn't until after the 1x was launched and they say the popularity of the frame and the requests for a 2x version that they decided to launch that. Additionally, the head angle has a steering angle that's more quick, allowing the bike to be a little more agile, and maybe not quite as stable. Does any of this mean you couldn't choose to ride it for 100 miles, no.. anyone could if they wanted to, but understand that certain choices were made in this design, given its intended purpose that may not be the best choice if you want to do 100 miles and hit some gravel.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Are there any stem options out there similar to the SL Sprint but in -6° ??
Using Tapatalk

YungLegs

by YungLegs

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

This one is in since last Friday, spent a good 120km (74,5miles) in 2 different rides. More on that later.
Weight as pictured is around 7.8kg. Set up is with full Sram Force 22 with the Shimano Ultegra pedals of my former bike. Specialized SL Sworks Stem (120mm), Specialized Toupé Sport and Specialized Aerofly bars. Wheels are cheap Veltec 42mm AL, with 25mm Continental Grand Prix 4000 II's. I'm waiting to upgrade to full carbon next year. Buying houses & becoming a parent are more important to my wallet right now.

On the ride:
I am not a professional cyclist, I haven't been on a bicycle since I crashed the Canyon in an accident July 2016. I live in Belgium, my usual rides are 30k flats from Ghent to Oudenaarde and back.
Around Oudenaarde, I tackle some legendary Flanders classic hills (Berendries, Koppenberg, Kapellenberg, Ladeuze, Molenberg, etc etc.) and loads of small short ascends, descends & cornering.

First impressions: this is stiff. This is really effin' stiff. To put things into perspective: I come from a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0, one of the mid-range carbon Canyons.
On the flats & going downhill there is a giant difference in what I have to put in to gain & maintain speeds, it's waaaay easier, this thing goes fast... wow. Uphill: probably my pancake legs but punching through small uphill climbs feels harder maintaining speed/gear.
Still getting used to & dailing the SRAM Force to perfection, I come from a full Ultegra set-up so double tap shifting uphill still feels a bit weird. Paint scheme on this is spot on. When it hits the sun, it's impressive to say the least. Wheels are boat anchors, 42mm full alloy coming in at about 1,8kg (3,96832 lbs) but do their job well, all reviews online state 2000km before the anodized rim starts turning silver... forget about that, I managed to do that after about 100km, it's full on silver now after the rainy 2nd ride.

Also, question:
First ride was 28°c sunshine all the way. Loved every second of it. 2nd one was a early morning rainy ride with over 3h of rain. No idea if this is normal but turning my bike up to fit in the elevator made the frame lose a small amount of water from the back end?
Last edited by YungLegs on Tue May 30, 2017 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

That is pretty normal for water to find its way in the frame. Generally the frame manufacturers place small holes in various tubes for gas to escape during the welding process but they also serve to allow the frame to drain water.

Vermu

by Vermu

Pics are not working :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YungLegs

by YungLegs

Vermu wrote:Pics are not working :(

Re-upload. Click the pics for full size.

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

I also converted from Shimano to SRAM - once dialled in the SRAM is fantastic.

I believe that the reason I was finding SRAM a little harder to push than Shimano was due to not being able to dump a whole load of gears at once. In addition, because I was moving one gear at a time, and seeing whether I was shifting the right way, I was more cautious of cross chaining. Now that I've figured out how to dump gears, and I am not looking at my chain, it's starting to feel familiar :)

The other thing I noticed was that the bottom bracket, along with the SRAM crankset are super stiff, so there's no flex and it feels stiffer/harder under foot.

Not sure how it would go handling Belgian cobbles. All road shocks comes straight up that seat post!

This is my Sagan Sprint. I'll get some better photos soon. So far put about 200k's on it since last friday :)

ImageIMG_4512[1] by Donny Dino, on Flickr

YungLegs

by YungLegs

thedonnydino wrote:I also converted from Shimano to SRAM - once dialled in the SRAM is fantastic.

I'm dailling it in this weekend, last nights ride on flats still had some chain rattling. Frustrated.

Not sure how it would go handling Belgian cobbles. All road shocks comes straight up that seat post!

Did some small sections, not too much yesterday. This might hurt going up Koppenberg, but who sits down going up there anyway. Paddenstraat might hurt a bit more I guess.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

My Specialized rep is saying my Red Hook Crit Allez Sprint should be here end of this month or beginning of July. The build will be the exact same, it will just be a straight frame swap. I expect this frame to be a little heavier than the blue as the paint appears thicker. Of course I'll have a frame weight for you guys so we can see the difference.

titaniumdan

by titaniumdan

My now defunct Allez Sprint DSW that I owned/raced for three months. Pretty much podiumed every second race it entered. Lightning fast, very responsive and very fun. Sold to make way for a steel bike, but I think I want another one already.

Road: Pegoretti MxxxxxO Ciavete
CX: Gellie Custom
Instagram: @titanium_dan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Can I hi-jack this beautiful topic for a moment? I'm also building up an Allez Sprint Sagan Edition but can't mount my FSA Powerbox. It has a BB386EVO BB but I don't know how to convert it for my Allez Sprint. Which BB do I have to buy? Thanks!
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook