CAAD12 Disc Fram + New Campy Disc = Compatible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NewYorkNick

by NewYorkNick

So, today we have news of Campagnolo's new disc offerings, which look pretty sweet.

I have just bought a CAAD12 Disc frame (yes, in that sparkly purple) and had planned to build it with Dura Ace disc (mechanical shifting), which isn't really available yet.

I also grabbed the Hollowgram SI w/ spideRing.

Ever since Super Mario & the Saeco squad days, I've dreamed of a Cannondale with Campy rigging.

Any speculation on whether this will all be compatible or not? I'm guessing frame compatibility will not be a problem, but doubting the Campy will work seamlessly with the SI cranks...

Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

byron505

by byron505

if i was a betting man, id wager on everything fitting fine.
flat mount is pretty much standard with post being heavily phased out.

as for crank - i really imagine this being one of those 'campy says it wont work, but then i did it and everything works fine.'
lets be real, front derailleurs either go to the highest or the lowest limit points with nothing in between so im not sure why it wouldnt go.
FS 2018 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap with 90's Cannondale Track paint | 60cm | ??kg
2017 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap | 60cm | 6.7kg
Instagram: @byron505

wingguy

by wingguy

byron505 wrote:if i was a betting man, id wager on everything fitting fine.

Or you could dispense with wagering by simply looking at the bike.

The frame is flat mount but the fork is post. So you can't run a Campag disc caliper on the front unless you changed the fork.

byron505

by byron505

wingguy wrote:
byron505 wrote:if i was a betting man, id wager on everything fitting fine.

Or you could dispense with wagering by simply looking at the bike.

The frame is flat mount but the fork is post. So you can't run a Campag disc caliper on the front unless you changed the fork.

shit, good catch. i knew the frame was flat and assumed the fork was as well.
not sure whats up with campy's post mount drillings, but arent there post to flat mount adapters?
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shim ... ke-adapter
FS 2018 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap with 90's Cannondale Track paint | 60cm | ??kg
2017 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap | 60cm | 6.7kg
Instagram: @byron505

NewYorkNick

by NewYorkNick

Yea, this was a tough revelation, though unless there's a good excuse to NOT use an adapter, I don't see it being a huge deal.

If an adapter is out of the question or won't work for some reason, at least SRAM makes a dedicated post-mount caliper. Always been a DA guy but might guess I could try out RED....

wingguy

by wingguy

NewYorkNick wrote:If an adapter is out of the question or won't work for some reason,

That adapter won't work because the Campy front caliper is designed to bolt directly to the fork flat mount drillings, which are a different spacing to the adapter drillings which Shimano calipers are designed to fit on to.

NewYorkNick

by NewYorkNick

wingguy wrote:
NewYorkNick wrote:If an adapter is out of the question or won't work for some reason,

That adapter won't work because the Campy front caliper is designed to bolt directly to the fork flat mount drillings, which are a different spacing to the adapter drillings which Shimano calipers are designed to fit on to.

Ah, so at least the Shimano DA calipers will work and I won't have to use a different model? Unless someone can convince me to switch teams and get SRAM but that's for another discussion...

userfriendly

by userfriendly

wingguy wrote:

Long shot maybe, but can you not use a caliper that's nominally for a 140mm rotor in the rear in the front instead, with an adapter & 160mm rotor?
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

NewYorkNick

by NewYorkNick

userfriendly wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Long shot maybe, but can you not use a caliper that's nominally for a 140mm rotor in the rear in the front instead, with an adapter & 160mm rotor?

We may have to just wait a bit and see if Campy offers their own adapter to make their calipers compatible with post mount setups.

Like I said, personally, I'm not in a huge hurry because the new DA isn't even shipping yet :twisted:

userfriendly

by userfriendly

NewYorkNick wrote:We may have to just wait a bit and see if Campy offers their own adapter to make their calipers compatible with post mount setups.

I doubt that's possible, at least in the front - the front caliper is only for 160mm rotors already, an adapter would make that 180mm or worse. I can see it working with the caliper for 140mm rotors in the rear (although I don't think there is such an adapter just yet), but not in the front.

The only "way out", as it were, would be post mount versions of their calipers. Apparently they initially said they'd offer both, post and flat mount. Now they're coming out with flat mount only. Might need some pressure put on them to add post mount?

joejack951

by joejack951

byron505 wrote:not sure whats up with campy's post mount drillings, but arent there post to flat mount adapters?
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shim ... ke-adapter

Regardless of Competitive Cyclist's claims, I do not believe a flat mount caliper to post mount frame adapter exists. Competitive Cyclist may talk about such an adapter but if you look to buy one, none are offered in the drop down menu. Hmmm...

userfriendly

by userfriendly

If one existed (or if you were to make one) it would be one flat piece with four drillings - and one possible problem could be that the flat mount caliper might obstruct the drillings used to fit the adapter to the posts. So such an adapter might not even be physically possible.

Afraid the only solution is either a new frame, or post mount calipers. Not counting on the latter, to be honest. And starting to consider just selling the frame. Really quite disappointed with all this.

Broady

by Broady

FWIW Hope have said they're going to test their post mount calipers with Campag levers when they're available, could be a good solution to people with post mount forks as the RX4 calipers look great.

Broady

by Broady

And for reference, flat does fit on post with a bit of thinking / engineering but no one makes an adaptor as a stock item, you'll need to go the custom route.

NewYorkNick

by NewYorkNick

Yikes. This is all getting more dim and disappointing. I'm going to email Cannondale, maybe they'll sell me a SuperSix series disc fork (which is flat-mount). Maybe I can shame them since they're essentially making it impossible to use any full grouppo but SRAM, and who knows if they'll even offer both caliper mount styles for that much longer...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com