GiantTCR project finished....for now.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

I know I could save weight on pretty much every part of the bike, but I built it to withstand daily riding without spending(relatively) a ton of money.
Parts spec
Giant TCR composite, small
Full Dura Ace package(less cranks)
Topolino AC29 wheels
Michelin pro race 2 tires
Stronglight Pulsion cranks
FSA platinum Ti BB
Look Keo pedals
Ritchey WCS stem 100mm
3T 199 prima bars 42
Thomson Masterpiece 27.2X330 post
San Marco Aspide FX TI saddle.
BTP carbon cages
A lot of carbon spacers
Polar CS200cad
Total weight 15.4 pounds (did not have the camera with me when I weighed it, but I have witnesses 8) )
Looks like Herbert and I have the same BB to seat ratio. :lol:
Also, it rides really nice. Accelerates quickly and feels light,nimble and stiff.
Attachments
GiantTCRcarbon 008.jpg
GiantTCRcarbon 011.jpg
GiantTCRcarbon 006.jpg
GiantTCRcarbon 005.jpg
GiantTCRcarbon 004.jpg
GiantTCRcarbon 003.jpg
GiantTCRcarbon 002.jpg

peterb_bt

by peterb_bt

:shock: Damn some bast*rd has bent your seatpost....! Cool looking stealthy ride.
You can never have too much carbon fibre....!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oclv150

by oclv150

A very impresive build although i would use a non setback seatpost and a silver bar tape
http://www.cb-nanashi.com/prt/bartape/d ... artape.jpg
enjoy your ride!

flying

by flying

Good Job on the frame refinish
Congrats on a nice solid ride

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

oclv150 wrote:A very impresive build although i would use a non setback seatpost and a silver bar tape
enjoy your ride!

Pretty sure he's using a setback seatpost to make the bike fit him. Contrary to popular belief, light means nothing if you can't ride the bike comfortably, in a good position, and produce optimum power.

ProParadox

by ProParadox

RollinOn27s wrote:
oclv150 wrote:A very impresive build although i would use a non setback seatpost and a silver bar tape
enjoy your ride!

Pretty sure he's using a setback seatpost to make the bike fit him. Contrary to popular belief, light means nothing if you can't ride the bike comfortably, in a good position, and produce optimum power.

Ya, but if he used a ritchey wayback post, that bike would look way hotter. ;)

Kaliffen

by Kaliffen

ProParadox wrote:Ya, but if he used a ritchey wayback post, that bike would look way hotter. ;)

No way ... don't change a thing ... exept the stem to Thomsons X2 :lol:

marathon

by marathon

CaptainWilier you bike turned out really nice, especially the frame. I would only change the seat post to straight one because all other lines are very straight and clean. You seem to have enough space to adjust your position either way. But even how it is now, really stands out like something a little different, well done.
Climb, climb, climb ...learn to like to climb!

www.mojTrener.com
www.mojPortal.com

Emmanuel

by Emmanuel

Sad to say, but I don't realy like the bike. Small frames are always good, but really small sloping frames just don't work for me. Also the enormous amount of spacers needed and the seatpost with the awkward bend in it.... just doesn't do anything for me aesthetically.
Technically though, nice bike.

Boonen

by Boonen

Hi CaptainWilier, I think you did a very nice job! I really like how the frame turned out 8) If it fits you don't change the seatpost or remove any spacers! I'm with RollinOn27s on this one, if saving weight would make your position on the bike uncomfortable I would never do it!

Have fun riding it :D

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Capt. W.

I am in the league with Emanuel. Slooping isn‘t my kind of frame.
But You did a very good job Capt. W.!

And the bike is still UCI legal.

All the comments are just a matter of personal taste. So are mine.
I like your black Devil. It is different and that is good thing!

Although; Personally I wouldn’t build a bike in this way. Because I do like a straight seat post with a set back in the head of that post.
To match with the stem a Ritchey with set back would be nice.

O yes of course you can win a few ounces by fine-tuning but then you have to spend a lot of money. It is light enough not pure WW stuff but a very nice bike (and keep the Ritchey stem).

Well Capt. W. don’t change anything.
It is build to your preferences. That is what count's. And because it is different this bike is a very personal statement (that is even more important IMHOP).

The only two things I would like to see is a shiny coating on the crank set and just one small spacer over the stem a small one up tp max 5mm will do.

So take a nice fine grid of sandpaper. Softly polish the crank with that (do not remove al the original coating leave a little) and then spray the carbon cranks with a nice shiny coating. Reapeat the sanding an spraying 2 to 3 times. Then the Stronglight cranks will be nice and shiny black an match perfect to the TCR frame.

I am curious about these wheels. How do they perform?
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

oclv150

by oclv150

Boonen wrote:Hi CaptainWilier, I think you did a very nice job! I really like how the frame turned out 8) If it fits you don't change the seatpost or remove any spacers! I'm with RollinOn27s on this one, if saving weight would make your position on the bike uncomfortable I would never do it!

Have fun riding it :D

Of course that the bike have to be comfy, but the seatrails seem to be forward enough to have non setback post which i find more aesthetic.
Anyhow, a very lovly ride

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll try to answer all of the questions. I am in between sizes for the Giant frame. I could/should fit on a medium but I wanted to try the small frame for weight, stiffness, and because I found it cheap on Ebay. It does have a little too much seat post and too many headset spacers but I don't notice this when riding, only when I look at it. :lol: I bought the Thompson setback because I thought I would need it: I don't: I again could/should switch to a straight post but that's another $150. I think OCLV suggested Deda bartape, which I do really like, but I found this "carbon" look tape online and deceided to give it a try to contrast with the black. When I have to chage it I'll go with something else. The Topolino wheels are very nice. They are less rigid than my Ksyriums and roll smooth and fast but, as expected, they catch crosswinds. I recommend the wheels. I will probably be "tweeking" the bike as time goes on;m2 racer skewers; things like that, but need money first. :(

oclv150

by oclv150

:beerchug: :no1:

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

Bike looks great. I really like the Giant frames - got 2 myself! One small thing - again personal taste - stem mounted computers! They look far better on the bar in my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com