Campagnolo now made in China!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tids0009

by tids0009

Will all campy now be made in China? I received this water bottle-carrier and bottle last night to notice the quality of the box was not the same, then I saw 'Made in China'. Opened it up, looked ok, then I weighed it, 29 grams for the cage, weighed the Italian version and that was 20 grams!!!!!!!! NOT HAPPY!

rossjm11

by rossjm11

are you sure this should be under introduce yourself?
and are you sure you bought authentic campy?
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tids0009

by tids0009

Yeah, good call, sorry wrong section. How do I move this to another section?

It should be legitimate, I got it from ProBikeKit here: https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-ac ... 9PG8dya0xA

I got my previous one from ProBikeKit too.

Sam

by Sam

For that price, I would also be pissed....!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Perhaps OP got the date wrong and intended to post this tomorrow :P

If that's not the case, then OP would have found the first ever example of a Campagnolo part stated to be made in China.

There have been occasional discussions in the forums over the years on the topic of "where Campagnolo manufactured?"

Romania is well known and acknowledged by Campy. I had suspicions that there was manufacturing of shifters in Taiwan, and similar to OP's example, one poster had a parts box with "Made in Taiwan" on it.

Also of course, it's understood that some Fulcrum parts and assembly is in China.

Mind if I repost elsewhere tomorrow?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

fogman

by fogman

I just bought a Super Record group but threw away all the boxes except the crankset. Mine says "Made in Italy". I also have a new in box Chorus Cassette and Record Chain that say "Made in Italy" as well. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

uraqt

by uraqt

I have seen the price drop big time on the cages, and it looks like the weight has gone up ? it's possible that they move the cages only to china? When I noticed the price drop I was very surprised.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

The door has been opened, first the cages, then SR EPS components.

China can make good stuff, lets hope Campagnolo's QC is still good, with that weight, it does not appear to be that way.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

It has been years Campy components are made in Taiwan , China or Romania by contractors before shipping them back to Italy for decals, packaging and the 'made in Italy' sticker. I would not be surprised more Campy stuff show up say 'made in China' as more consumers started accepting the reality. After all millions of people happily paid almost US$1,000 for their MIC iPhone last year.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

ipenguinking wrote:It has been years Campy components are made in Taiwan , China or Romania by contractors before shipping them back to Italy for decals, packaging and the 'made in Italy' sticker. I would not be surprised more Campy stuff show up say 'made in China' as more consumers started accepting the reality. After all millions of people happily paid almost US$1,000 for their MIC iPhone last year.

Don't talk rubbish.

The European Union has laws where sellers must state the origin of their products, or where they are mostly made.

I've had Campag products made in Taiwan and Romania ... and Italy. The label on the box simply states their true origin. No-one is trying to trick anyone.

Antoine

by Antoine

On the other end around 40000 chinese are working in Tuscany , making "made in Italia" clothes.
Working conditions are as bad as they are in China, they don't pay taxes and the profit goes to China.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/2017/03/30/01003-20170330ARTFIG00255-chasse-aux-clandestins-a-prato-le-plus-grand-chinatown-d-italie.php

https://www.pressreader.com/france/le-figaro/20170331/281535110829533

stormur

by stormur

Valbrona wrote:
ipenguinking wrote:It has been years Campy components are made in Taiwan , China or Romania by contractors before shipping them back to Italy for decals, packaging and the 'made in Italy' sticker. I would not be surprised more Campy stuff show up say 'made in China' as more consumers started accepting the reality. After all millions of people happily paid almost US$1,000 for their MIC iPhone last year.

Don't talk rubbish.

The European Union has laws where sellers must state the origin of their products, or where they are mostly made.

I've had Campag products made in Taiwan and Romania ... and Italy. The label on the box simply states their true origin. No-one is trying to trick anyone.

But ITALIAN LAW says that last layer of clear coat is enough to put sticker "made in Italy" ( last stage of manufacturing process ). AFAIK Campa never "cheated" about country of origin, "Italian" frame "manufacturers" do it religiously.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

RussellS

by RussellS

Valbrona wrote:The European Union has laws where sellers must state the origin of their products, or where they are mostly made.

Assuming Europe "Made In" laws work the same as US "Made In" laws, its very possible to have a Made In Italy sticker on a product manufactured in China. The law says the country of origin is where a majority of the product's cost comes from. So its easy to have an entire product manufactured in China using Chinese parts and labor. All very cheap. Then ship it to Italy on a Chinese ship, and have the final polishing and coatings applied in Italy using Italian labor and box it in Italy. The Italian finishing and labor is more than the Chinese costs so it can officially and legally say "Made In Italy". Even though everyone knows its made in China using Chinese parts and Chinese labor. More of the input cost comes from Italy so its "Made In Italy". Not sure how marketing and advertising costs apply. They would be done by Italians and likely allocated to the products so they would add to the Italian costs to make it even more "Made In Italy".

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

All my bikes except my MTB and track bike have Campag and I keep all the boxes so I have dozens stored in the garage. I've just checked them all and the labels all say 'Made in Italy' except some EPS parts which say Switzerland and a couple of chainsets which say Romania.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seedster

by Seedster

I only ride campy and all of my components have said either italy or romania (Bora One).

It is possible that some accessories are made in China. Not a big deal from my perspective.