Accidentally bought a counterfeit Look :(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I keep passing over this thread because I thought it had no interest. Since we are at 4 pages I was wondering whats up.

You had a private sale, you paid cash, you found out you got the short end of the deal. It does not take an American or European to say you lost. No one is going to care. Rip offs happen every day, what makes the police thing your the special one to get all their support? What the heck, What do you think Look would do? You should of paid with counterfeit money. Some of the best money I ever spent was with a brick and mortar store.

Do like every American would do, list it on Craigslist and sell it to some other schmuck. Meet them in the back alley of any city you are at. Make certain it's cash [no paypal deals]. Then keep an eye on the internet for threads like this.

Or you can ride it with good medical insurance [not purchased by a back alley agent].

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spiceybadger

by spiceybadger

OP back! To echo the comment of someone, leboncoin is a very normal manner for selling 2nd hand bikes in France, I've done it for other bikes without problems.
How did I notice the problem? - a skype call to a friend in a bike shop was very quickly able to spot it as a fake - apparently there were many around a few years ago, and the BB is the wrong size.
Stolen? It's not stolen. It's just not what it claimed it was.
Update: I've contacted the seller, and he has agreed to pay me back some money for the frame, and take the frame back. He was equally p'ed off. I'll keep the wheels and the groupset and put them on another frame. However, as yet, I do not have any money back!
Meanwhile, I am still riding it, it's a good and fast frame, but as many of you have stated - I just don't have the confidence in it for handling or exploding on a descent.
I'll throw a photo of it online if you like!

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah photo please :P

mattr

by mattr

That's a result so far!
Just hope he comes through for you.

Time to start another thread. Best VFM road frame to replace a fake look.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Shrike wrote:Yeah photo please :P

You want to see what a fake look "looks" like?

This is what I had for 2 years until I changed it last year.

spiceybadger

by spiceybadger

Here's a picture
Attachments
20170324_213845sm2.jpg

NiFTY

by NiFTY

That must be a good copy as that is just as eye searingly ugly as a real 795. Seriously though i hope you get back some coin from the seller. The real question is if he is pissed where did he guy from?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wookski

by Wookski

NiFTY wrote:That must be a good copy as that is just as eye searingly ugly as a real 795. Seriously though i hope you get back some coin from the seller. The real question is if he is pissed where did he guy from?

Echoed my sentiments exactly! I'm not even sure why I'm following and contributing to such a stupid thread :noidea:

Shrike

by Shrike

I actually think that 795 would look amazing in a smaller size. Fabricom, that bike looked boss. I'd ride the hell out of that. Personally I'm a bit of a fan of how Looks look. I'd have even got one when I was frame shopping in Jan if I wasn't put off by some comments about them being a bit flexy.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Shrike wrote:I actually think that 795 would look amazing in a smaller size. Fabricom, that bike looked boss. I'd ride the hell out of that. Personally I'm a bit of a fan of how Looks look. I'd have even got one when I was frame shopping in Jan if I wasn't put off by some comments about them being a bit flexy.

That copy did not flex. I sold it cause the paint wasn't great and the white started to turn yellow because of the amount of sun light it was getting daily. I tried polishing it but couldn't get it as it just to be. So I just sold it.

My new setup is not as confortable but its much "faster".

wingguy

by wingguy

NiFTY wrote:That must be a good copy as that is just as eye searingly ugly as a real 795.

For giveaways the stem's wrong, the mast topper is probably wrong (though tbh I wouldn't be surprised if it was better than the real one) and I'd imagine the BB is BB30 or something instead of Look's gigantic shell for the Zed3 cranks.

But yeah, aesthetics wise the real ones are just as wrong! :lol:

Cheers!

by Cheers!

How much did the original poster buy it for? It might not be a total loss. If the cost was not that high... you could probably salvage parts off of it that are not fake. Pretty hard to fake a Sram rear derailleur/shift/front D for example. Same goes for perhaps the wheels?

I'd just consider the frame disposable, and go buy another frame of something else (used) that is legit.

I've bought crashed bikes off of Ebay just to salvage parts off of it. That was how I got my Dura Ace 7900 back in the day super cheap.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

ghisallo2003 wrote:
rainerhq wrote:I heard Team Sky bought their trispoke wheels from Paris.

No. Couriered over from Manchester. No point in buying locally when you can pay someone to travel for a day.

Oh my Good :D :D :D
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

magnetalb

by magnetalb

There must be a fraud in France too. In fact, Chinese counterfeits seem to have reached the point where it is difficult to distinguish them.

KarlC

by KarlC

fabriciom wrote:
Shrike wrote:I actually think that 795 would look amazing in a smaller size. Fabricom, that bike looked boss. I'd ride the hell out of that. Personally I'm a bit of a fan of how Looks look. I'd have even got one when I was frame shopping in Jan if I wasn't put off by some comments about them being a bit flexy.

That copy did not flex. I sold it cause the paint wasn't great and the white started to turn yellow because of the amount of sun light it was getting daily. I tried polishing it but couldn't get it as it just to be. So I just sold it.

My new setup is not as confortable but its much "faster".

De Rosa SK Pininfarina NOT comfortable ?? Is it a fake also ? All reviews say it has a very comfortable ride.

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com