Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:26 pm 

So, more than half a year ago Scott as expected released info about their new Scale and Spark bikes. Around the same time xc felt more fun than ever, so I both decided to train way more serious and most importantly - build one of each!
Being a weightweenie for years and years of course I started looking at numbers, especially since new lighter forks etc also was released, and a quick summary said that it should be possible to build a sub 7kg hardtail with a "real" suspension fork (not a rigid/Lauf/something without lockout). I quickly ordered two of the old but light MCFK seatposts before they sold out and so the journey started. The plan was a hardtail below 7kg and no specific goal for the fully except that it would be light.

Way too much waiting for frames and parts, tons of time considering everything down to screws and what's maybe a slightly unhealthy passion for building/modifying bikes since being a kid resulted in that you can summarize the last 6 months with the following picture...

The project has turned into being quite crazy with sanding, drilling, modifying and custom parts made for the bikes so the latest weight goals is:
Scott Scale RC 900 SL size medium - sub 6,6kg (with pedals and bottle cage)
Scott Spark RC 900 SL size medium - around 8kg depending on setup (with pedals and bottle cage)
Plan is to build them strong enough for up to 85kg (I'm around 75kg in the summer) and hold up for lots of training and a few comps.
No tires like MaxxLite or Furious Fred, but Thunder Burts "as worst" since that is the lowest I personally consider being an actually useful mountainbike tire. (But everyone is of course welcome to think otherwise)

I'm still waiting for parts and lots of work left to do on the builds, and with life being otherwise very busy at the moment they're probably 6-8 weeks away from being finished. But since I got the frames this week I thought it was time to start a thread!

I'll put a speclist in this first post that I'll update everytime something has reached it's final weight, and hopefully I'll get below the goals I've set!

SCALE:
Frame: Scott Scale RC 900 SL size M ---------------------- xx g
Rear axle:
Fork:
Remote:
Headset:
Starnut:
Topcap:
Stem:
Handlebar:
Grips:
Brakes:
Caliper bolts:
Discs:
Disc bolts:
Wheels:
Tires:
Tubes:
Rear derailleur:
Shifter:
Wires/housing:
Cassette:
Chain:
Chainring:
Crankset:
Bottom bracket:
Pedals:
Seat clamp:
Seatpost:
Saddle:
Other:

TOTAL:

SPARK:
Frame: Scott Spark RC 900 SL size M ---------------------- xx g
Rear axle:
Fork:
Remote:
Headset:
Starnut:
Topcap:
Stem:
Handlebar:
Grips:
Brakes:
Caliper bolts:
Discs:
Disc bolts:
Wheels:
Tires:
Tubes:
Rear derailleur:
Shifter:
Wires/housing:
Cassette:
Chain:
Chainring:
Crankset:
Bottom bracket:
Pedals:
Seat clamp:
Seatpost:
Saddle:
Other:

TOTAL:

Last edited by Gullholm on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:26 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:31 pm 

Following

Cervelo SLC 5960g/13.13 lbs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:51 pm 

I'll start right away with the frames.
Been nervous about putting them on the scale since the day I ordered them, and unfortunately the hardtail was a disappointment.
Completely stripped frame including Sram/Shimano hanger and brake caliper bracket was 867,1g and to that you have to add about 15g for cable ports which makes for a total around 882g compared to the claimed "849g including all hardware". I've seen another one within a couple of grams of this, so seems they are around this weight.

The Spark on the other hand was impressively accurate. Frame including rear shock (but no remote), Sram/Shimano hanger, brake caliper bracket, cable ports for a "regular" setup and 3 bottlecage screws was 1752,2g compared to the claimed "1749g including all hardware).

So it sucks about the Scale since that bike is my number one priority and this put my calculations a bit off, but with some tricks up my sleeve it should all work out in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:13 pm 

Sir, you got my attention!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quite impressive weight for the Scale anyway! Really curious to see how they perform! I built a 2014 Scale 900 SL which weighted 1040gr for the frame naked and i considered it a light frame...

Please keep us updated, this is a mandatory thread to subscribe! What wheels are you building? My guess would be something like 77composite rims, laced to some extralite hubs with some cx-super spokes?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:42 pm 

damond wrote:
Sir, you got my attention!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quite impressive weight for the Scale anyway! Really curious to see how they perform! I built a 2014 Scale 900 SL which weighted 1040gr for the frame naked and i considered it a light frame...

Please keep us updated, this is a mandatory thread to subscribe! What wheels are you building? My guess would be something like 77composite rims, laced to some extralite hubs with some cx-super spokes?

Same here, been a long time since I've been this excited to simply try a new bike and see how it rides! Actually my last hardtail was also a 2014 Scale 900 SL, great bike and had it down to 7.97-8,3kg depending on setup. But it's a huge drop down to 6,6kg hence my excitement haha.

That is a scary good guess. :shock: :lol: I do have some surprises when it comes too looks though, so stay tuned.

In the meantime I can show some work I've done on the XX1 derailleur for the Spark. From 245g down to 208,4 with some tuning, Extralite pulleys and a Fibrelyte backplate. Quite disappointed on the Fibrelyte though. On the stock Sram cage the threads for the upper pulley wheel inserts a bit into the wheel itself and uses a shorter screw than the lower that is flat. On the Fibrelyte both threaded inserts are flat though, so the upper screw that is shorter only grabs the threads for maybe 1,5 turns. Feels like they've taken a quite sketchy shortcut, even though people seem to run it like that and they give no info about it in any product description I've seen. So gonna get a longer screw and then I think it's finished for now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:36 am 

Well this is going to be one hell of an interesting thread!! Seriously sexy frames!! And nice tuning work already, can't wait to see more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:51 pm 

Getting one of the new Scale RC framesets to build up is definitely on my wish list so I'm excited to follow this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:30 pm 

When you're in, you're ALL IN!

As a Scale 29er Pro owwner, I'm definitely following your build to see what's possible.

For perspective, your Scale frame only weighs 1/3lb or ~150g more than my Addict road frame. My Addict won't see a tenth of the pounding that your Scale will see on the trail - and all for just 1/3lb or ~150g more. I think that's borderline amazing (either mine should be lighter or yours should be heavier).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:47 pm 

Thanks for the interest guys!

And speaking of all in - there's no turning back now... :lol:

The paint seems to be way heavier than I expected and if this continues I'll hopefully drop 60 grams or more!

Johnny Rad: Yes it certainly is an amazing weight either way, truly getting down into roadbike territory. Happy with your Scale Pro?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:05 pm 

Yes, I have a lot of fun on it. The trails are beautiful.

I wanted it bad, but rarely ride it. The allure of MTB is strong, but I sadly don't dedicate any time to it.

Too easy to roll out of the garage and immediately be on a road ride vs loading up my car with the MTB and driving there / back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:17 pm 

A guy posted his stripped Scale on R2Bike's Facebook page in January, I thought I saved a picture of it but apparently I didn't. It looks good though and I'm sure yours will too. Good luck removing the paint! Looking forward to both of your builds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:44 pm 

Johnny Rad wrote:
Yes, I have a lot of fun on it. The trails are beautiful.

I wanted it bad, but rarely ride it. The allure of MTB is strong, but I sadly don't dedicate any time to it.

Too easy to roll out of the garage and immediately be on a road ride vs loading up my car with the MTB and driving there / back.

Sounds great, but I fully understand this. Luckily for me the trails start not even 1km away from home along with a vast network of gravel roads.

tonytourist: Thanks! Yeah I saw that, he has a thread going on mtb-news.de forum and I think he has it down to about 7kg by now. He lost 91g stripping it if I remember correctly, but mine will be a bit less since the SL has decals instead of painted logos like the others. Still baffles me though that bike companies spend tons of R&D money and time shaving grams off their frames and then put paint on adding almost 10% of weight.
But I don't know, maybe the lighter paint options are that much more expensive or there simply aren't enough people/weightweenies around who cares haha.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:11 pm 

Having seen the claims by Scott that the new Scale would be 849g I was looking forward to seeing some 770g+ frames appearing, but it appears that the weight is similar to other yrs. I sanded down my Scale Premium 2011 M and managed to get it down to 816g from 892g with decals and a waxed finish. I also just got a NOS Scale RC 2014 in a small that I plan to do the same with as the medium was just a little too big for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 pm 

poynt: Yes a bit disappointing, but paint stripping and something special when it comes to mech hanger and cable ports and I still hope to get just below 800g, we'll see.

Busy days so I still got a lot of work left on the frame, but here's some sanding and polishing from a couple of weeks ago.
Sapim CX Super (and yes, the work was just as time consuming and tedious as you imagine it to be haha)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:24 pm 

Maybe a stupid question but why not just get silver spokes?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:24 pm