best/lightest road cranks?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I went to the crankset listing and the stork team power arms looked like the lightest. What should I use for a bottom bracket?
I've given up on ever getting the fly-sports cranks so I need to know which ones to go to that can deliver the cranks they promise.

Mantra

by Mantra

You could use Tune, TA or Raceface

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andysklein14

by andysklein14

I dont remember what the Storch cranks weight in at but there are also some nice looking Carbonlord cranks on E-Bay regularly that are suppose to weight 380g for around $375.

nikh

by nikh

My Storck MTB weigh in at 326g I'm going to pair it with an Action Tec Ti BB or Phil Wood.

by Guest

andysklein14 wrote:I dont remember what the Storch cranks weight in at but there are also some nice looking Carbonlord cranks on E-Bay regularly that are suppose to weight 380g for around $375.

Avoid Carbonlord cranks !

Everyone who owns em has problem, its not made right... over priced junk.

And theres no such thing as warranty on his product. It just another carbon version fly sport cranks.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

When Andysklein14 posted that message I didn't even look at them.
After dealing with fly-sports for sooo long I went ahead and bought the
Storck cranks with a Tune AC 38 spindle.
They should be here soon.

CP

by CP

What length axel do you need for the power arms crank?
CP

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Each bike is different. Well not each bike, but there are different lenths
based on the width of the frame where the crank goes through. I can't remember the name right now. So there's that dimention plus the width of the chainstays where the crankarms have to clear as they rotate.
I asked the guy at Starbike where I bought them. I bought the BB from also. I got the Tune AC 38. The guy at Starbike was very helpfull.

Cyco

by Cyco

Popa it is good to see you are finally riding on some nice light cranks.

Next question is what nice light chain rings are you bolting on to them?

popawheelie

by popawheelie

You are such a teaser Cyco. :roll: :roll: I suppose you have a suggestion? I'm open to your input. I'm using a Campy drivetrain.

Cyco

by Cyco

Wasn't ment as a tease, I was hoping to hear a report of some colour coded Tiso's (and how well they work) or of a set of TA's attacked with a Die-Grinder or Dremel Tool...

After playing with the '04 Dura-Ace ones at the Shimano trade show I'm thinking of a new custom frame with a BB shell machined to press a cartridge bearing straight in and save weight there (But your set-up would be lighter).

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I was kidding Cyco. :lol: :lol: I'm going to put Campy record on it for now. I like TA's, Maybe I will pick up a set.
Since I live in a flat area of the country I use rings close to 50/44.
I can get TA's in most sizes and if you get rings within about 10 teeth you don't need ramps or pins to help shift.
I've ground on some alau. to make Ti hardware work but haven"t really gone after alau. parts.
All the weight reduction I've done has been in buying light parts and/or replacing steel bolts/nuts/hardware with lighter optimized bolts/nuts/hardware so far.
I'm getting to the end of this project and just want to get it done and weigh it.
I still want to take some pics and stuff for the site.

MrDemon

by MrDemon

rembember to send me spec/pic of your bike pop for my www.bestbike.co.uk site

popawheelie

by popawheelie

No problemo mi amigo!

Cyco

by Cyco

Long Live the 44t inner ring!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see I'm not the only one using these. Sydney is also very flat, but it can cause some pain when I'm not fit and head along the coast and start getting into the 10-12km climbs.

If you feel the need for speed (like bunch sprints) as I do you can mate them with a 54t outer (standing starts in this and the 11 build some serious strength...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com