Chorus or Record??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

syplam

by syplam

anyone considered using shimano/sram cassette instead of using chorus? ultegra is cheaper and lighter than chorus, on the other hand sram red is a good light option?

Im considering switching to ultegra or red cassettes when i get my new wheel

fabriciom

by fabriciom

syplam wrote:anyone considered using shimano/sram cassette instead of using chorus? ultegra is cheaper and lighter than chorus, on the other hand sram red is a good light option?

Sram is lighter but the tradeoff is that parts do not last as long as other brands. Also the distance between the rear cogs on Shimano/sram is different than campagnolo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zirxo

by zirxo

I'm running Ultegra on my race wheels with Chorus 11-speed. It's working just fine.

callumghilton

by callumghilton

Geoff wrote:Funny. I remember that debate when I was a Junior (although, then the debate was Nuovo Record or Super Record!). I decided on Nuovo Record and regretted it all season (kids). Forget the naysayers and get what you want. So you'll have to sweep-up at the LBS a few more nights instead of going out with your gal, so what, she'll get used to it. Oh, yeah, use a Chorus cassette...

I'm a cyclist, what girlfriend? :D
Bikes:
TCR 2003
Battaglin Racer - Build about to get underway

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/coffeefueledrider/
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/7927957

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Look595 wrote:i always able to use the ultrashift function and move up 3 to 4 gears and have a sudden breakaway easily in my group and i like this function alot, whereas no other brand allow me to do so.

Man, that is so true. I just found out the new Dura Ace 9100 group can't do multiple up/down like my Record group can. That's just pathetic for sure. I can navigate my Record group as fast as an electronic group-set.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

if you have the cash then SR all the way otherwise Chorus. To me it feels the same as my SR but I live the look of the SR and in theory it should be quicker because of CULT. Really can't see what Record would offer over Chorus...
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

moonoi

by moonoi

fabriciom wrote:
syplam wrote:anyone considered using shimano/sram cassette instead of using chorus? ultegra is cheaper and lighter than chorus, on the other hand sram red is a good light option?

Sram is lighter but the tradeoff is that parts do not last as long as other brands. Also the distance between the rear cogs on Shimano/sram is different than campagnolo.

I use a SRAM red cassette with SR, and the distances between the cogs on 11 speed drive chains are pretty much exactly the same, it was the old 10 speed that was significantly different.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

moonoi wrote:
fabriciom wrote:

I use a SRAM red cassette with SR, and the distances between the cogs on 11 speed drive chains are pretty much exactly the same, it was the old 10 speed that was significantly different.

I believe the campagnolo cassette separator is 1.5mm while Shimano is 1mm. What's the price difference from a shimano cassette vs a chorus?

syplam

by syplam

fabriciom wrote:
moonoi wrote:
fabriciom wrote:

I believe the campagnolo cassette separator is 1.5mm while Shimano is 1mm. What's the price difference from a shimano cassette vs a chorus?

I think ultegra is half the price of a chorus cassette? With little weight penalty and red is more weightweenie at similar prices.

I suppose some cog alignment would be off but unless u index ur gears before every ride there shouldn't be that much noticeable difference?

Probably better resale value for ur wheels as well if you use a shimano freehub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonoi

by moonoi

Nope, cog spacing has no real difference, you can check Leonard Zinns article on drivetrain compatibility (from 2013)

http://www.velonews.com/2013/09/bikes-a ... ght_303199

There is also a bikerumour article with a picture of a Campagnolo and Shimano Cassette side by side to show they are pretty much identical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

I vote Chorus.... And let us know how the build goes!

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

I swap wheels between my chorus and Ultegra bike and I don't even touch the barrel adjuster. Glides up and down across the full cassette in both chainrings