disaster- almost

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

7 hrs in the rain.

No breakfast before hand.

Limited munchies on the road.

Blow big style half an hour away from home. :oops:

How was everyone else's day?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyco

by Cyco

Work most of the day.

Get on MtB for 1 hr sunny ride afterward.

To many chips at lunch.

Still fat.

But not such a bad day......
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Wasn't happy with my race yesterday as I blew up ony km's into the race. Went Lactate Treshold training at the local mountain today.

Did two laps both in record time (Scott frame is a sweet climber) but blew up on the second (only 7 seconds slower but my heart rate was through the roof).

You missed Breakfast? I just couldn't leave home without breakfast.
Sounds like you bonked, what did you eat during the day?

Brian

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

If I was being at all sensible I would have waited and eaten some cereal but I had to leave the house at 7:45 to get to meet some people some 40 miles away.

I picked on a few muesli bars throughout the day and had 2 bottles of Maxim and a bottle of lucozade at a garage.

Considering it was my longest ride since 2002 it was
a: Stupid (that's stupid with a capitol 'F') not to have eaten breakfast.
b: encouraging that I only blew 30 mins away from home.

Knowing Aussie mountains it was a huge lap!! Good effort mate.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Sugarloaf is only 400m above sea level, the laps took

10'10, Ave 176bpm, max 187bpm,
10'17, Ave 183bpm, max 187bpm,

I'm no climber but I got dropped in the first lap on Sat so I need to work on my Lactate Threshold and high speed work.

When I do long rides I ride along the Freeway from Newcastle to Sydney, should I have trouble I can jump off and catch the train home. It's reasuring though I've only caught the train to reduce the trip home.

Brian

Ivan

by Ivan

Not quite happy lately. I am doing my master thesis (should be finished in 2 weeks) and as a result i am under a lot of stress. Went for a training ride this morning but it didnt felt good so went home after just one hour. Tomorrow its my very first race and i dont know what to expect from it.
The problem is pure mantally 'cause i am in good shape (around 7000 km last winter). I guess i just stop training until my thesis is finished, there will be less stress then i guess, better for training and just two weeks wont hurt my fitness level i hope ... wont it ?
Oh well ... just some thoughts that came up ... should be telling this to a psychiater but this forum is cheaper :D

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ivan wrote: Tomorrow its my very first race and i dont know what to expect from it.

Don't expect anything, you'll probably not ride good. just relax.

Ivan wrote:I guess i just stop training until my thesis is finished, there will be less stress then i guess, better for training and just two weeks wont hurt my fitness level i hope ... wont it ?

Dont stop training. Go out and make light rides at 60% of your HF max for about an hour or so. you have to do something to keep relaxed and empty your brain! :D

good luck!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Ivan

by Ivan

Thanks for the advice Frankie !
I'll let you know how i ended the race.

Yeah maybe i can keep on training about 2 - 3 times a week during that two weeks ... after that i've got a lot more time. I am working about 4 hrs a day on my thesis ... time i cant put in my training.

Tippster

by Tippster

Could you not fit in the training around your normal day.

I ride a 15 mile commute into work every morning.

Thats 30 miles a day on road.

Time taken is similar to travelling by car. The traffic really is that bad here. I shower at work and therefore I'm exercising at no real cost in terms of time taken from the standard day.

Ivan

by Ivan

But my days look very different i am sure. I only have lesson three days a week. The rest of the week i am working on my thesis (writing, making technical drawings, taking pictures, ... ) Just this two weeks are stressy 'cuase there is a lot of work thats have to be done in just two weeks time ... thats all.
The rest of the winter i could at least train an hour or so every day.
But anyway thanks for the interest.

Cyco

by Cyco

Marlboro Man wrote:I picked on a few muesli bars throughout the day and had 2 bottles of Maxim and a bottle of lucozade at a garage.

All the food you have listed here is high GI - lots of raw sugar - giving you a suger high/suger low situation during the ride -> no suprise that you blew.

Stopping at a bakery and getting some brown or multi grain rolls would have serverd you better.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Ivan, try riding quality miles rather than quantity.
Do a small number of (short possibly) high intensity rides and use your thesis time to recover.

I race on Sat, train hard on Sun, limp around the office Mon and Tues, do a ride on Wed and dream about riding Thurs, Fri. Basically I bludge during the week as my legs recover from the weekend.

I vary my Sun training to ensure that my legs are sore and require resting during the week.

I rotate:

Hill Climbing (Lactate Threshold and High Performance Cardio)
Intervals (Sprint Training),
Time Trial (Lactate Threshold)
1hr of cross country running (Cross training)

With a Time Trial, run or weight session on Wed (pending on my leg recovery).

I'll intergrate Track Motorpacing (Lactate Threshold) training into the routine soon.

I hope that helps

Brian

Ivan

by Ivan

About the race: had to give up in the 3rd round out of 18 rounds. A little bit ashamed about it :oops: allthough its not entirely my fault. A fellow rider fell and i got hindered by the ambulance.
In the winter i did mostly long slow rides and only now and then a quality ride. I think thats a good base to start from but now it is indeed time to put in more quality rides as i need tot work on my explosivity. Power and endurance are ok, i noticed.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

On my first ride with my CR1 I got dropped on the first lap.
So long as you train harder in response it's not an entirely bad thing to be demoralizingly spat out the back.

Brian

Cyco

by Cyco

Getting beaten can be a good thing to spur the training on.

Being uncermoniously spat early on, for me, is nothing but demoralising.

For me the most fun is winning, but the most motivating is to be beaten narrowly...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com