How do you carry your smartphone ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

destinationwarmth

by destinationwarmth

How do you carry your phone on a ride...without dropping it ?
I've been carrying mine in a back jersey pocket for years without any issue, but changing for a bigger phone + a new jersey with smaller pockets = phone ejected and glass broken !
Caught a bump, and even didn't felt it fly away. I was lucky to have someone drafting behind me to warn me !
So, how do you carry your new Plus-sized smartphone ? In a XL saddle bag ? with a rubber, sticky case in the back pocket ? Or do you ride without one for 200km rides far from home to save some weight ?

eyedrop

by eyedrop

I use my smartphone as a cycling computer. I have my Stages power paired with it, and have Strava record and collect all the data. Its not as nice as a good Garmin, but the benefit is carrying less overall weight. And the mount surprisingly holds the phone very solid, so there is no fear of it flying out of my small pockets like before. It also has the benefit of seeing whos calling or texting, making sure Strava is still running, using a big touchscreen for GPS and maps without having to stop, etc... There are a couple downsides. 1 is that I havent found a way to get an actual CSV file from the ride to get an in depth analysis. But strava does the main basics... Also, the mount is very ugly, and with a big phone on it, it does take up alot of space on your bar area. Finally, the battery is dead after a 4 or 5 hour ride. But I think getting a case with a built in battery solves that issue. Heres what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FZ ... UTF8&psc=1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

island

by island

In winter - zipped in the breast pocket of gillet or jacket.
In summer in the back pocket of a jersey (unzipped).

The dhb jerseys have a zipped back pocket - I might try that.

Unlucky on the ejecting phone!

RyanH

by RyanH

I use these which makes it more difficult to get out of the pocket:

ALOKSAK Waterproof Pouch, 5X4" (2PK) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018RA5WUM/re ... SybEVWVHVP

gsindela

by gsindela

Quad Lock Bike Kit: Stellar.
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

This is WW for goodness sakes! I leave my smartphone in the car, and simply put a $10 burner phone (an AT&T ZTE Z222 pay-as-you-go) in my jersey pocket. It weighs 91.85 grams. My Galaxy S7 + otter box case , back in the car, weighs 171 grams.

Shrike

by Shrike

Strange that modern jerseys still haven't been designed for holding phablets. Something like a stretchy pocket-in-pocket would do.

evan326

by evan326

HAHA
I never even thought to weigh my phone! I wear my Samsung gear s2 watch. It remotely connects to my phone, so I can make calls for an emergency, and it's a watch!

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

evan326 wrote:HAHA
I never even thought to weigh my phone! I wear my Samsung gear s2 watch. It remotely connects to my phone, so I can make calls for an emergency, and it's a watch!

Look, I'm not proud. I even remove my wedding ring if I'm expecting the ride to include a bunch of climbs. The sickness has no limits...

evan326

by evan326

Dedication

trimenc

by trimenc

I carry it in my jersey pocket and never had an issue with it coming out. Sorry for your loss!

sungod

by sungod

hardly ever take it with me

usually it's only if i want to take pictures, or maybe going on a long route i've not done before, but even then i prefer a map or route notes - i don't use satnav either :)

aside from weight, i'm riding, a phone is a burden not a comfort

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I put my phone and $10 in a "leather" phone sleeve. The sleeve keeps the sweat off it. It all sits in my jersey's rear center pocket. I don't pull out my phone for mid-ride pics partly because it's a tight fit in the sleeve and partly because I like to look at pics more than snap them myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sleeve-Pouch-PU ... ds6cN8vPDw

Miller

by Miller

Put my phone in a small plastic bag to keep sweat off it and stick it in a back pocket. Look at it if need be which usually does not occur. Just need to be contactable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hambini

by hambini

I use 2 drink bottle holders and put the smartphone in a carry case that looks like a water bottle.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...