Look Keo Carbon Ti weight restriction

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Remdog

by Remdog

Does anyone know of any weight restrictions on the Look Keo carbon ti pedals? I've had 1 lbs says max of 150 lbs, another claim 175 lbs and another say no restriction that he can think of.

The Look website is silent on this subject & I can't find any reference to it on the forum.

I'm currently using Campy Record & looking to lighten up.
Pinarello Prince
Look 386i
Moots Smoothie
Triumph Daytona 600

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kAb

by kAb

I would suggest no more than 180 pound for Ti axel pedals of any sort.

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

honestly, weight shouldn't be a factor with pedal spindles. It's more a power thing. A 150lb rider who can put out big watts is more likely to break a pedal spindle than a 250lb dude who isn't that strong...But I guess it's more likely that a bigger person will put out bigger watts, and maybe that's why they'll have a standard.

Rockies Rider

by Rockies Rider

If you are concerned about weight restrictions or you crank out an ungodly large amount of power try Time RSX Titans. Claimed weight is 5 grams more than the Keo Ti and the cleat is about 4 grams more. Mine are 201 actual (6 grams over claimed weight). On the other hand the stack height is only 8mm compared to Looks 15mm. And...the product literature that came with the pedals makes no mention of weight limits. :wink:
"God lives in the details." Lou Kahn

KB

by KB

ElDuderino wrote:honestly, weight shouldn't be a factor with pedal spindles. It's more a power thing. A 150lb rider who can put out big watts is more likely to break a pedal spindle than a 250lb dude who isn't that strong... .
Agree 100%. The criteria shouldn't be weight, it should be power outage. I'm heavier than when I was 17/18, but I could certainly crank up twice the power I can now. It becomes an issue for a track sprinter of course because they have both size/weight/power. They are the ones likely to break equipment, not old farts like me who are 90kg.

peterb_bt

by peterb_bt

Look don't have a weight limit. My LBS called the UK importers for me (I weighed about 88kg at that time) and was told that the ti spindles didn't have any restrictions on them! Now, how far you'd want to push that theory, is well up to you. I did buy the pedals and used them for a bit, but couldn't get used to them, so I switched to Speedplay SS Zeros.
You can never have too much carbon fibre....!

divve

by divve

I'd be careful with discounting weight limit over power output too easily. I'd like to first see how much pressure someone with a lot of power is putting on the pedals. Then, compare that to what a pedal experiences with a 250lbs person standing on them and hitting a bump.

daved

by daved

Rockies Rider wrote:If you are concerned about weight restrictions or you crank out an ungodly large amount of power try Time RSX Titans. Claimed weight is 5 grams more than the Keo Ti and the cleat is about 4 grams more. Mine are 201 actual (6 grams over claimed weight). On the other hand the stack height is only 8mm compared to Looks 15mm. And...the product literature that came with the pedals makes no mention of weight limits. :wink:

Stack height is actually 13mm on RSX pedals. Pedal platform is 8mm but plate is 5mm thick!

Remdog

by Remdog

Great point on the power output. Makes a lot of sense.

So, a 200 lbs rider who puts out 150 watts is putting as much stress on the pedals as a 150lbs rider putting out 200 watts. Sounds right?

Also, if Look has a lifetime warranty on the axle does it really matter if it breaks?
Pinarello Prince
Look 386i
Moots Smoothie
Triumph Daytona 600

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Divve is right again,

Exactly that's why there is a weight limit. For instance a 200+lbs rider hitting a bump or riding through a hole in the ground at 35kmh could easily crack your Ti axle. The momentum would be extremely high for a very short moment. But the Ti axle will crack.

If the same heavy rider would be able to ride 450+ or 500 watts for a longer period on a Ti axle. No problem! The power at the beginning of each pedal stroke will be les high and slowly build up to the max ad say 500 watts and then ad the end of the pedalling cyclus there will be less power. It will not really be problem (maybe a little flex). It is about the extremes you reach in critical situations like riding over a bump or riding through a hole in the road. That you should take in consideration.

Remdog:

It matters if it breaks. Because this kind of breaking does often result in a nasty fall. Which is a sudden event, that probably would not be to dramatic if the rider is alone on the road .... But it gets messy if it happens when de rider is next to a truck or car..... Warranty is not taking in concern the damage done to your precious body....
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

Frasertri

by Frasertri

Yep, Diive is right on this. Shock load is what breaks pedals (or wheels, mostly), not input power. Think about it.... Even if you heave on the bars as you bear down on that pedal, you will only apply ~1.5X your body weight, or thereabouts, and you're applying it gradually as Amadeus describes. But when you hit a pothole, with all of your weight on one pedal, you might easily exceed 2g acceleration downward (2X your body weight or more...). This is the largest force the pedal shaft will see, and it's applied instantaneously.

I wish I could apply that much force on my pedals all the time..... 8)

bb46

by bb46

Amadeus wrote:Which is a sudden event, that probably would not be to dramatic if the rider is alone on the road ....

I think it is pretty dramatic in all ciccumstances. This guy was alone and almost ran into a cement light post from coming out of his pedal (on the upstroke though). Because it is a direct part of the drivetrain any complete breakage is a pretty big deal due to the momentum of your body.

http://www.timesportusa.com/blog/images/release.wmv

spytech

by spytech

bb46 wrote:
Amadeus wrote:Which is a sudden event, that probably would not be to dramatic if the rider is alone on the road ....

I think it is pretty dramatic in all ciccumstances. This guy was alone and almost ran into a cement light post from coming out of his pedal (on the upstroke though). Because it is a direct part of the drivetrain any complete breakage is a pretty big deal due to the momentum of your body.

http://www.timesportusa.com/blog/images/release.wmv

Very close, nicely recovered. but he pulled out of the pedal, if the ti axle would break it would be pressing down towards the floor. either way it would not be easy.

i have Ti keywin pedals, very light came in at 190g a pair, but you have guys in the forum that weigh over 210lbs, riding them with no problem.

divve

by divve

That was great. I saw that live on TV but never could find a pic of it again. :D

Amadeus

by Amadeus

bb46

SO MUCH FOR BIKE HANDLING!!!!! Great!

Off course it could be pretty dramatic. But I think you all got my point.

I also remember a sprint in the TdF where Zabel in a downstroke came loose from the pedal. He managed it as wel. But this is more spectacular!
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com