Wheel poll (help a WW out!!!!)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

witch one?

Corima winium
38%
Shimano 7801 carbon
11%
Bontrager XXX-lite
25%
Speed composites
26%

Total votes: 53

tommy

by tommy

Witch would you choose??
I'm thinking on buying a low profile tubular.
I want a wheel that is:

1: Stiff, i can't ride on noodly wheels.
2: Strong, i don't like a wheel that cracks the rim three times a year. (zipp??)
3: Great hubs
4: Light ofcourse!

I'm 63kg
Last edited by tommy on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

I would chose the Speed Composites. They look very well made and the rims are very light, you would also be supporting a company in Belgium.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boonen

by Boonen

I voted for the speedcomposites as well. (bikemessenger; they are dutch :wink: ) I haven't tried them but IMO they look very nice and it looks like they are durable as they get used for cyclocross as well. They aren't crazy expensive either. I like the look of the winiums as well, maybe you could consider having a custom set made with only the rims?

bb46

by bb46

bikemesenger wrote: supporting a company in Belgium.

The Netherlands. :wink:

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

Sorry, I was going off of memory and thought they were in Belgium, I guess that shows how good my memory is.

993flo

by 993flo

I voted to the corima because they mess beautifull :P

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Speedcomposites as well here. The best wheels of the four of the poll in my opinion.

tommy

by tommy

strange, i never expected that speedcomposites would get so many votes!
why do people vote for speedcomposites, are there people with first hand experience???

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

tommy wrote:strange, i never expected that speedcomposites would get so many votes!
why do people vote for speedcomposites, are there people with first hand experience???

The reason I voted for them is because I look at the construction method that they use on the rim and it is much better then all of the others except for maybe the Shimano rims.

by 711977

Speedcomposites gets my vote to. Belgium was almost right. It only 10 km to the belgium border. They are used in cyclocross and the one who was riding them, would want to ride them again he's only not allowed to.

And at 1130 gram very light. Never riden them only holding them in my hand with the dugast cross tubes on them gives me a big smile on my face.

Bas

tommy

by tommy

When to the LBS today to take a look @ the wheels, i just want to give my impressions, so correct me if i am wrong or missing something.

1 corima winium:1300gr
+: reliable, stiff because of 24 cx spokes in the back, cheap
~ : questionable hubs
- :The heaviest of the 4

2 Shimano carbon:1290gr
+ Light rims, super hubs, Nice spoke pattern, assymetric rear wheel
~: stiff and reliable wheel???
-: most expencive

3 Bontrager xxx lite: 1200gr
+:good hubs, light rims, almost the same price as corima.
~: Strange spoke pattern
-: bad braking??

I realy don't know witch one is better... prices are about the same so it all comes down to witch is the stiffes, most reliable wheel. I am a bit scared on buying the speedcomposites because nobody seems to have used these so no revieuws on these

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

how much is the shimano carbon wheelset(price)?
is this the deep rim or the like 35 or 40 mm rim?
is this a real weight or claimed?
wasn't there an article about pro bikes of t-mobile and gerolsteiner in tour last summer that said the shimano wheels with deep rim are damn stiff?
don't know of the 35-40 mm wheelsete though and i had to throw away some tour mags while moving last winter, so i can't find it out anymore.

tommy

by tommy

simon wrote:how much is the shimano carbon wheelset(price)?
is this the deep rim or the like 35 or 40 mm rim?
is this a real weight or claimed?
wasn't there an article about pro bikes of t-mobile and gerolsteiner in tour last summer that said the shimano wheels with deep rim are damn stiff?
don't know of the 35-40 mm wheelsete though and i had to throw away some tour mags while moving last winter, so i can't find it out anymore.

They are about 1150€ (the same as the bonty's) it is a front 28mm rim and a rear 24mm rim with ofset.
Claimed weight but shimano is never far off with claimed weights

breeze

by breeze

i vote for the Bonty´s.

I had an experience with them and the US women T Mobile Team before Olympia 04 they were in Germany for training. The mech told very good things about bontrager, even if they just received the first carbon shimano wheels at that time. It was a nice comparison between the xxx lite an the brand new carbon shimano, but i would take the bonty´s. Very smooth bearings, very light rims.

Here some real weights from 2004, from the above mentioned session:

DA 7800 Carbon front 28.8mm high 586g, rear 24.3mm 740g
another front wheel: 549g, also 28,8mm high

DA Carbon special for E. Zabel (directly imported to Germany from the tour de france from a Giant mech.) 50mm, front 16 round spokes 764g, Rear 20 spokes, round left, 2.8mm aero right 1092g (with 11-23 DA 10speed cassette!)

Bontrager Race xxx lite with the first carbon hub body, 23.8mm rim, front 20 DT aerolite spokes 518g; rear 24 DT aero right / aerolite left 698g

EDIT: Triple X Lite with 22mm width, 24mm high Rims, OCLV 120 hub body, front 521g, rear 701 g

I hope, this helps a little bit
Last edited by breeze on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

drjones96

by drjones96

I misread the poll I guess when I made my vote. I voted for the winium but I was thinking only about the rims. If I were going to build up a set of wheels It would be winium rims, cx-rays, and tune hubs. If I were to choose between the wheelsets mentioned it would probably be the Bonty's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com