Colnago C59 ADWH 59cm - 7.3kg - the finishing touch applied

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rjaync

by rjaync

So after watching a friend build up an EPS through Facebook I made the mistake of trawling eBay idly. To my surprise a 59cm C59 showed up. After promising to sell my old SWorks SL2 first, Santa brought me a very lightly used frameset in ADWH. It really had only been ridden a handful of times and was almost mint condition. The seller even included a pair of arundel mandible cages and with the matching post it was too good to refuse. A quick check with Colnago confirmed the serial number as a 2013 dual use mechanical/electronic

The ADWH art decor scheme seems to polarise people but I love how the lugs are meant to mimic the arabesque frames. That coupled with the paint finish means that it's amazing in the daylight.

I've got some weights for bits but my LBS is building it up so will have partial weights then final build.

The seat is an eBay find selle San Marco regale carbon fx. I have the urban (suede) version on my Festka http://theradavist.com/2014/03/2014-nahbs-festka-union-jack-di2-disc-road/#1 and like the shape. Lightly used for a fraction of new price.

The frameset with the seatpost, seat, cages, headset, seat collar and an old DA BB comes in at a mere 2205g making it by far the lightest I'll have owned (won't set any records on WW but...)

Next post will be wheels etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rjaync on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rjaync

by rjaync

Next up is wheels. I was toying with shamal ultra but wanted to a little more aero. Also with lots of reports of tight rear clearance I decided to play safe and get an older wheelset. Officially 24mm is max tyre size and so I played safe.

Found some NOS Mavic Cosmic 40SSC on eBay for a bargain and the seller included the campagnolo freehub for conversion.

I managed to find some 24mm open corsa SR on closeout for $27usd which I couldn't refuse (stockpiled some too). There seems a little variance in the tyres so put the heavier one on the rear. The pic below has a 3mm Allen key with some room to spare. 25mm would probably be possible but tight.

With tyres installed front is 981g and rear is 1205g. The mavic skewers are 107g per pair. I have some Tune ti ones I may install in the future.

ImageImage

ImageImage

rjaync

by rjaync

Steering. I have the Enve bars on my festka but decided to try something different. Opted for the Thomson carbon bars in 44cm. The shape looks awesome and I like the feel of the top section and 206g is scary...

Stem is still TBD - I had an old SWorks 120mm spare which we will use to build up and then I can measure. It really needs a wet white stem. Currently the Ritchey C260 seems to be leading favourite. Might need to order a 110mm depending on how we finish position.

My friend with the EPS very kindly sent through the coloured spacers to add some Italian to the 'american' cockpit.

Last edited by rjaync on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjaync

by rjaync

So the rest of the build will be mechanical chorus ordered and supplied by my LBS. The eBay mission needs to be balanced with keeping them in business. Build is partway done and likely to be finished this week.

rjaync

by rjaync

I realised there are a couple more frameset pics I could include too. The paintwork really is special up close.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Love it :thumbup: when I first started cycling the first colnago I ever saw was a C59 in ADAR and now I have 4 colnagos :lol: can't wait to see this finished as these paint schemes are among my favourite from colnago.

Look565w

by Look565w

:thumbup:

Great find & looking forward to the final build!

P.S I like how you blended in the brass door knob into the stem in your image :mrgreen:

TomColnago wrote:Love it :thumbup: when I first started cycling the first colnago I ever saw was a C59 in ADAR and now I have 4 colnagos :lol: can't wait to see this finished as these paint schemes are among my favourite from colnago.

Do all Colnago owners suffer from this illness of owning multiple Colnagos, there is obviously a few like you Tom on this forum :D
I too am suffering from this symptoms as I also managed to get my grubby hands on a used but very good condition "Extreme Power" just before xmas :mrgreen: having already acquired my first one - a C60 last February!

Cheers

rjaync

by rjaync

Ha! The brass door knob was to stop the bike leaning with no bars. Less the aesthetic and more the practicality :)

As for owning more than one Colnago - that could get dangerous although the reissue arabesque is calling to me....

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Ohhh, that's really sweet! What a nice ride! (on my fifth Colnago...)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Very nice... yes, I remember the mini backlash about painting Arabesque type "lugs" on top of the real lugs, but this is beautiful. I can't remember seeing one in this color scheme... really like white bikes. And I gotta say... I'm liking the lines of that S-Works stem just fine, and I'm thinking I would want it to be black just as is. If you really want a "wet white" stem, then there's the Deda Zero 100 stem, but they're kinda hard to find now, and maybe too heavy on the logos. Is that a -10 for the S-Works? Ever think about just stripping the logos off if they bother you? At this point everything looks like it's coming together perfectly.
Will you be swapping out the BB for some Campy Ultratorque cups? If you do, might want to think about a light facing of the BB shell first as it doesn't look like that's happened there. Not to remove material, just any paint that is covering the shell face.
And is there a story with the headset... might the cups have been replaced at some point? They look very angular, like the Acros on the C60, but I don't remember the C59's having that. The Colnago headset cover that sits on top looks like it doesn't quite match up with the cups, and they're usually pretty good about that. Just wondering if there's a story there or not. Actually, now that I'm jogging my memory, Colnago did use a wedge type headset cover when they first switched to the Acros headsets. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the original headset cups were the Acros model with that "wedge" compression system, which forced apart the two piece cone underneath the stem to press against the headset and bottom of the stem. It was not a very good design imo and would often come loose. They went back to a more standard arrangement (but still Acros) after a very short time. In fact, now that I think about this more, I'll bet this is the story... The original headset was in fact that very Acros headset, which also came with the wedge type top cover. But I'll bet the previous owner swapped out the top cap for the one that is on there now. It's not a perfect fit, but it allows the more conventional bung in the steertube and pre-load being applied from the top cap above the stem. Yes, that's what I bet happened.

In any case... this is going to build up really nice. As for tire sizes... I can fit a 25mm tubular (using the new 2015+ Boras). Clinchers can be a different story depending on the rim being used. Those 24mm tires on those rims are looking just fine in the rear... but I found the clearance issue on the C59 was more noticeable under the fork. Now that Specialized have some nice tires in the 24mm width you could always use those. But a 25mm clincher on an even slightly wider than standard width rim might pose some clearance issues, especially if it is a Conti 4000sii, as they tend to sit the tallest of any clinchers I've used. Width is not an issue on that frame... lots of room.

Enjoy!... Looking forward to seeing it built up.
:beerchug:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Durisic

by Durisic

very nice bike!! :thumbup:

rjaync

by rjaync

@Calnago - thanks. The SWorks stem is currently set at -8 degrees. It's adjustable down to -16 but I need to see where the measurements finish. I run about 9cm drop to the bars. I don't want to trim the steerer any more so it could be a case of playing with the final position to 'look right'.

You're right about the headset - good spot. The previous owner switched out the original acros wedge one for the one off the C60 I think. It was mainly to get the conical spacer but also helped prevent the slipping. I have a box of spare headset parts - it could be there's something to adjust. That said, now it's properly fitted and installed it seems a lot better (I didn't put any pre-load on to settle it down).

For the tyres - yes the specialized turbo were plan B. One of these days I'll be man enough to switch to tubs but as I do most of my riding solo I've never mustered the courage. Ironically this has the fork off the C60 and the front has way more clearance than the rear. I tried a 25 in the front and it was fine but needed 24mm on the rear so that stuck.

As for the BB - yes it now has record BB cups in and no, I didn't think to ask them to face the surfaces (I knew I missed something lol)

I'll see how it looks with the black tape and make a final decision on the stem - the ritchey c260 is relatively graphics free which is the appeal but we will see. Hoping that I can pick it up Thursday....

rjaync

by rjaync

Johnny Rad wrote:Your Italia-themed spacers are perfect "as is."

Subtle and well-played! I love it.

:beerchug:

Thanks so much. I have to confess that it was a friend who thought of this and supplied it but it's a nice touch to set off the bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dpkinard

by dpkinard

I love this bike

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk