2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jooo

by jooo

Not sure why pleb clothing is even being discussed in this thread? It has nothing to do with 'Pro' cycling...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

It was discussed in the context of Sky switching to Castelli and BMC to Assos.

JamieL

by JamieL

I don't really get why Qatar have given up cycling, they also cancelled the Tour of Zubarah, a 2.2 race scheduled for December.
They had a couple of good races, a good local scene with a few young Qataris actually going quite well and it's like they've decided to pull the plug on everything.
It's a shame because i quite liked racing there even if it was always proper hard and i think the Tour of Qatar was a good race with a nice spot on the calendar.

Rondje

by Rondje

But with out any spectators, and sports is still about spectators as much as athletes.
The locals didn't seem to care and true fans don't bother to travel that far to see a boring race.

Norregard

by Norregard

Maybe the big goal of all that investment was to host the World Championships and there's not much to aim for now they've done that?

TeslaOsiris

by TeslaOsiris

Norregard wrote:Maybe the big goal of all that investment was to host the World Championships and there's not much to aim for now they've done that?

That's probably the nail on the head. Seems like the goal of any Worlds event is to drive cyclists to the area. It worked here in the US last year as the Richmond Worlds was a huge hit and there was a surge in interest in American cycling afterwards. With Tour of California going WT status this coming season, I think there will be a steady rise here in the US.

Sadly, it didn't pan out for Qatar... It was always a unique race.

Sent from my HTC 2PST2 using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

TeslaOsiris wrote:
Norregard wrote:Maybe the big goal of all that investment was to host the World Championships and there's not much to aim for now they've done that?

That's probably the nail on the head. Seems like the goal of any Worlds event is to drive cyclists to the area. It worked here in the US last year as the Richmond Worlds was a huge hit and there was a surge in interest in American cycling afterwards. With Tour of California going WT status this coming season, I think there will be a steady rise here in the US.

Sadly, it didn't pan out for Qatar... It was always a unique race.

Sent from my HTC 2PST2 using Tapatalk

I hope the USA Pro Cycling Challenge (aka Tour of Colorado) comes back. My in-laws live in Fort Collins and it was always a huge draw.

The hardest part, in my opinion, will be balancing the spectacular scenery with bringing the race to large population centers. I mean, you could very easily have a stage go from Grand Lake, over Trail Ridge Road, down through RMNP and Estes Park, and finish in Loveland or Fort Collins. But you'd have next to no one on the route, until the finish. Absolutely mind blowing scenery, and incredibly brutal course, though.

Norregard

by Norregard

romalor wrote:Sven works for Trek also ( plus taking care of his team )
So he seems logical that he must test the new products

He could use a H2 head tube
But he still got it , he will race this week at his CX race even if retired , against the bests
He has kept a good shape but still :mrgreen:

He won't though?

His son wil ride the GP Sven Nys for the first time in the age group 15-16.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

While it's sad ti see races go away, I won't miss those flat boring races all that much.
Colnago e Campagnolo

maquisard

by maquisard

This thread is so last year...

Happy New Year everyone!

DaReef

by DaReef

Vagabond wrote:While it's sad ti see races go away, I won't miss those flat boring races all that much.

While I agree, it was interesting to watch how the several teams of the top contenders in the WC race split (shattered, demolished, annihilated, etc) the peloton in the cross winds and the desperate chase from those who didn't make the gap. Problem was it happened not much more than half way through (as I recall) an otherwise boring race sans the finish.

Wookski

by Wookski

maquisard wrote:It was discussed in the context of Sky switching to Castelli and BMC to Assos.

Now that the Hubbards can't replenish their team sky kit at Waffa, what will their new uniform be? The only people in castelli over here are crusty old Italian dudes on colnagos.