Uber Weenie Aluminum Bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nvroadie

by nvroadie

KC wrote:Looking at your list. Any old sram red cassette will save 100 grams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll find one on eBay for special occasions!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nvroadie

by nvroadie

I have an update on the build. I began to price things out, and found that while many components are budget options, there are several parts (brakes) that cost way to much. I'm still going to build up a CADD10, but from my cycling team's parts bin. And for fun, I'm going to tune as many components as possible. I've figured that it will weigh around 6.6kg with my Zipp 303 copies. In the future I plan to get new wheels and upgrade components to make the bike sub 6kg. For those of you taking away ideas for your own build, the spreadsheet below labeled "CAAD10 WW" has the bike around 5.9kg. I'll put in my new spreadsheet as well, labeled "CAAD10 Crit". I'll keep updating the thread and I have some interesting plans for a home anodizing bath, and will definitely post that adventure!

CAAD10 WW

CAAD10 Crit

nvroadie

evan326

by evan326

Home anodizing?! I'm intrigued

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

nvroadie

by nvroadie

evan326 wrote:Home anodizing?! I'm intrigued

I'll also be doing some laser printing (not at home) and possibly some CNC work. It pays to be a high school student that made friends with the vocational teachers.

nvroadie

by nvroadie

I got some more cool stuff today:

The SiSL crankset came in and is in better condition than I expected! I'm still going to polish it, and then laser print the "SL" back on. I have to meet a gear restriction, so I'll post the 130bcd and MKV no nuts chainrings on eBay, and leave a link here. Here's a picture of the crankset.

My Ultimate USE Evo seatpost also came. The claimed weight of 108g for a 300mm post is way off. My 400mm came in a 169g, and I will cut it to 350mm. Should be around 140g with a carbon cradle from eBay. Pictures:

I'll post more pictures of the crankset once I polish it,

nvroadie

evan326

by evan326

You know that's not an sisl, it's a SL crankset. Which was replaced by the si. The sisl still said sisl on them

nvroadie

by nvroadie

No need to quote above.

My possibly flawed understanding is that the crankset with SL printed on it and the crankset with SiSL printed on it are the same, but the latter has updated graphics. I could be wrong though. Let's have a friendly battle to find information to disprove each other.

evan326

by evan326

I honestly don't know how to prove or disprove it! I know I have seen sisl cranks on the net. I very well could be wrong. Of course I don't think I am though!
I may try after I finish my daily post work beers.

evan326

by evan326

http://fcdn.roadbikereview.com/attachme ... s-sisl.jpg that's what I'm referencing

109er

by 109er

The SISL and SI are different. The SI will be a little heavier. The SISL has a little more machining done to it. I do not know how much heavier but would speculate anywhere from a measly 20g to 50g. That crankset couldn't be much lighter just by altering the crankarms. Which is all they did from the SI to the SISL. STILL, one of the best cranksets to this day.

Upon a second look at your crankset, it looks like the newer, SISL. The machining was done around the bolt that attaches it to the spindle. The regular SI crankset did not have the heavy machining there.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

TimmS

by TimmS

@109er, you are absolute correct

nvroadie

by nvroadie

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

aqualelaki

by aqualelaki

nvroadie wrote:Did some more tuning on the lever blades today. Got the right down to 14g and the right to 14.2g with clear coat. I finished the left unit by cutting out the shift paddle. I then put heat shrink over the paddle cutout, as it is ugly. I'll finish the right tomorrow, and get new mounting hardware. ImageImage
nvroadie

That shifter doesn't look like it can function properly after you cut out the paddle. I'm curious about the ride report after you're done putting it all together

KC

by KC

On the Si crank arms here is my experience on rough estimate weights

Regular SI 165 grams per arm
SL or SISL 140 grams
SISL2 124-134 grams.
SI forged version 220 grams

An SISL2 with compact Mk2 rings with spindle can come in around 454 grams on a good example. Pretty darn light. Still 100 grams under a new SRAM red bb30

All versions can share the same bottom brackets and rings. You could put a Spidering on a forged version if you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

One more small thing. SL (the version you have) and SISL (with the newer graphics) are NOT the same thing. The SISL has a different arm offset and uses the newer 109mm spindle as opposed to the SL which uses the older 104mm spindles.