Light and stiff clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Hi guys!

I got something for yu.
A nice light and stiff wheel for climbers/Sprinters (up to 85 kg no problems)

All build up around the DT swiss RR 1.1 rim.
Here we go.
Rims: 415 x 2 = 830
60 Alu nipples ~ 18 gr
60 spokes: DT Rev spokes and right side rear wheel
Dt Comp Spokes ~ 300 gr.

hubs= tune Mig 66 r/200= 292 gr
or Dt Swiss 240 = 329 gr

On a webpage they claim the one with tune hubs with 1380 gr. So the Dt Hügi one must be just a little over 1400 gr. Not bad huh?
The rim is really good and stiff. Yu get that thingy over here around 500 Euros.
I really think i gonna sell my SL`s and buy this thingy... :oops:
Attachments
RIM_VAR_31001151065.jpg

divve

by divve

Got some very recently myself with CX-Ray spokes and 28h Record hubs. Total weight should be in the region of 1500 or a little less....
Attachments
RR1.1.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Care to give us a little review? :wink:

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Hmm looking good.... :shock:
The heavy part of your wheels are the hubs 385 gr for record hubs. The spokes are a little lighter maybe 10 gr overall. So the difference isnt that big.
What about stiffness? Ive heard the sapim spokes are a little..lets say naughty..hehe.

Oh and please post a full pic of the wheels...thx 8)

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Hey guys...i just ordered my new wheelset. (now i am selling my Ksyrium SL`s ..heh)

This set is stiff, solid and damn good locking.

Rims: Dt Swiss RR 1.1 <<<830 gr (2 pcs)
hubs: Tune Mig 66r/200 <<292 gr
nipples: Dt prolock <<<<< 18 gr (56 pcs)
spokes: DT aerolite<<<<<244 gr (56pcs)

~ 1384gr

I talked to a wheelbuilder and he said the aerolite spokes are the best spokes out there right now. Light and really stiff and very well made.
I post some pics if they are ready.

divve

by divve

Personally, I haven't heard of anything stating the Aero Lites are better than CX-Ray. I would have tried them however for this set if they were available in silver as well.
I haven't ridden the wheels yet as they're for my new bike I'm currently building up. I got an almost similar set but with OP rims instead. They're quite stiff yet smooth riding, stay very true, and are strong. However, in comparison the DT Swiss rims are definitely of a higher quality. They are rounder, more consistent, the weld is much smoother, and general finishing is of a higher standard. Nice touch are also small wear indicator dimples in the braking surface.

I'm not a real weight weenie but like quality stuff that's reasonably light and still durable. In that respect the Record hubs are almost unbeatable in my opinion. You may wonder why I read this forum then? Simply put, because weight weenies tend to know their stuff very well and are often aware of the latest developments :)
Attachments
Cx-Rays.jpg

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Well i dont know if the spokes are better i just can tell yu what this guy told me.

Btw i chosed 28 spokes for front (radial) and rear (3x/2x)

divve

by divve

I went for:

28h RR1.1
28h Record F+R hubs
CX-Ray spokes + Polyax alloy nipples
Lacing 3x everywhere

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Very solid too. Can yu take a full pic of your Wheels please? Curious... :oops:

divve

by divve

Not sure what additional info you will see :?: Maybe you just want me to prove I actually own the wheels :lol:

....full wheel pics normally don't look very good unless you use a typical studio background and line them up like Mavic does for instance.

BTW, haven't gotten round yet to taping the rim and sticking on the rear tire.
Attachments
rear.jpg
front.jpg

divve

by divve

BTW, for what it's worth make sure your builder gets the lacing right on the rotor side. The trailing spokes inside flange and leading outside. Reasoning is that when you torque down the inside trailing spokes will pull straighter and leverage the leading spokes to the inside so there's less chance of the derailleur getting caught when in the large cog. The other benefit is that if you over-shift (shouldn't normally happen :) ), the chain will tend to pull out instead of in due to the outer spoke direction.

....this is just general theory...some say it makes no difference....but why not rather safer than sorry?

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Hey thx for the full pics. I just wanted to see the whole wheel with all spokes and stuff for the general look. and impression that wheelset got and it looks jolly good. My

Yu can have a look at the builders webpage ...well its german but well...
www.whizzwheels.de

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

HäddaFahn wrote:
This set is stiff, solid and damn good locking.

Rims: Dt Swiss RR 1.1 <<<830 gr (2 pcs)
hubs: Tune Mig 66r/200 <<292 gr
nipples: Dt prolock <<<<< 18 gr (56 pcs)
spokes: DT aerolite<<<<<244 gr (56pcs)

~ 1384gr

Why the Dt Swiss RR 1.1??

Is it stiffer than de mavic open pro? Or other rims?

With the open pro it would be 1404gram for the wheelset.

With the mavic CXP 33 it would be 1494gram. Yeah to heavy but they are stiff just like the ksyrium SL

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

Alot stiffer than the Open Pro....
btw divve what about the stiffness of yopur wheelset? And whats your weight? :?

divve

by divve

HäddaFahn,

I've heard about the Whizz guys. They build excellent wheels.

I don't know whether the DT rims are stiffer. They have a slightly higher box section than OP so it might be. I did noticed that the spoke tension on my DT set is a bit higher compared to the OP set. From what I remember Mavic doesn't recommend you go over 110Nm, which is a little low when compared to "system" wheels, haven't noticed any problems with OP however. I weight about 167lbs and am 6' 0.6"

Paul, the DT rims are on average 10-20g lighter than the OP rims. Grab a series of 10 at a shop and weight them. You'll find that the DT weights are much closer to spec than OP. The latter are sort of all over the place. General manufacturing quality of DT rims is also better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com