Lightest ANT+ compatible head unit for a power meter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ave

by ave

The Garmin's GPS can be switched off* - I'd imagine this way it would have more than a full days worth of battery?
*At least the 705's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

JN2Wheels wrote:No. That's my point. The device has the capability to record .fit files. Then wirelessly transfer after the event. No computer/phone/display needed. All you carry is the heart rate strap. And power meter, if desired.

Nice! I missed that little gem tucked into the end of the review. Very promising! That it gives HR as well is a plus.

claus

by claus

Long time ago...

Has anyone already used the Lezyne Micro? Supposedly 30g, which seems to be the lightest head unit that can store/display power data etc.

RyanH

by RyanH

The Lezyne Micro looks interesting as it looks to have all of the features of a 500. They also make a watch that is supposedly 29g (not sure if that includes strap). Any feedback on the Micro or watch would be appreciated too.

claus

by claus

So I bought the Lezyne Micro (to give it a try).

The good: it is light: 29g.

The bad: it doesn't store power data... oops.
at least when I tried it on a trainer -- with a PowerCal as "PM" (and no GPS).
I contacted Lezyne and after some back and forth they asked me to be a "beta tester".
Hmm...

Does anyone (successfully) use this head unit with a PM?

glepore

by glepore

Hmm. Their lit says it stores data as a .fit file-I'd be curious as well as the unit seems to tick all my boxes at a price well below garmin. I want phone display and turn by turn. I can set up a cheap rflkt to do both, but only through ride with gps, and I lose power data when using ride with gps.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

glepore

by glepore

claus wrote:So I bought the Lezyne Micro (to give it a try).

The good: it is light: 29g.

The bad: it doesn't store power data... oops.
at least when I tried it on a trainer -- with a PowerCal as "PM" (and no GPS).
I contacted Lezyne and after some back and forth they asked me to be a "beta tester".
Hmm...

Does anyone (successfully) use this head unit with a PM?

I contacted Lezyne support. They claim that the unit stores power data in the .fit file. The PowerCal is not a supported power meter, per their list of supported devices as a power meter, so I'm not sure if that was your problem.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

claus

by claus

Some comments:

• PowerCal is ANT+ compatible, hence every head unit which properly implements ANT+ should be able to read (and store) the data (of course there can be interoperability problems...)
  • The data from the PowerCal is displayed and stored fine on
    • Garmin Edge 500
    • o'synce navi2coach
    • CycleOps Joule 1.0
    based on my own tests, and I'm sure it works fine with many other head units.
  • The Lezyne Micro actually
    • pairs with the PowerCal (HR and Power)
    • diplays HR and Power fine during the ride.

So the "only" problem is: it doesn't store the Power data in the .fit file (but it stores the HR data).

glepore

by glepore

Clause, I don't doubt that you had the issue. I'm just curious as to whether its due to some quirk or whether ALL powermeters are toast with the Micro. Not questioning your expertise either, as DC rainmaker had no issues with getting the Powercal to store data on a 500.

I'd be happy to test your Micro with a stages to see... :lol:

My other issue with the Lezyne is I can't tell whether you can import turn by turn from anything other than the Lezyne site. My group uses ride with gps, and while I don't often use turn by turn, occasionally I'm off the front, or more realistically, off the back.

claus

by claus

[quote="glepore"]Clause, I don't doubt that you had the issue. I'm just curious as to whether its due to some quirk or whether ALL powermeters are toast with the Micro.[/quote]

(no 'e' in my name :-)

Oh, sorry, I should have mentioned it: it records power data fine from another PM, however, I bought the Micro especially for use with the PowerCal.

Hopefully Lezyne will get back to me soon with a firmware update... (and I need to find some more time for testing -- maybe I can isolate the conditions under which the problem occurs, e.g., ride on trainer without GPS?).