Bottle Cage: which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cadence90

by cadence90

I also think Arundel is the nicest.
Is there a difference between the Arundel and Profile Design Karbon Kage?
(Other than the 3 grams claimed weight difference).
I think, either way, it's an excellent design.
The IRD is 16 gr, $50.00, but I recall someone (maybe Superlite) had some and was unhappy....
I don't know the claimed weight of the Pazzaz BC-11, I think less than 30 gr, looks a bit better than Gass/Zipp/Pazzaz BC-09 in my opinion:
Or, Elite Patao, 23 gr, also expensive:
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

I am using the tune "Wasserträger" too, yu just need "cylindric" bottles, and there are plenty of them. If the cage is screwed tight enough, yu get the bottles out relativly easy with a turn. Otherwise its anoying.

danielgillett

by danielgillett

A while ago, I spent around 5 hours sanding, and shaving an aluminium bottle cage - In the time spent, I achieved a 24 gram bottle cage. I have had no problems ever since.

I am getting Campagnolo Record Carbon or Elite Patao Carbon bottle cages on my new bike!!!

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

I am a teenie bit worried about using such thin Carbon fibre so close to my legs. I remember a Keirin race that reduced grown men to tears, particularly the massive guy having a Corima fork taken from his legs splinter by splinter. Nasty.

If that hasn't deterred you, have a look at the Woodman cages.
Attachments
ccage.jpg

Bill F

by Bill F

Here is a picture of the Storck carbon cage. Approximate weight 28 g.
Attachments
Storck Bottle Cage
Storck Bottle Cage

Jazzer

by Jazzer

That storck cage looks like it got beaten with a ugly stick!
I'm using the tune wasserträger and very happy with it.

HäddaFahn

by HäddaFahn

I found an easy way to get the bottles out of the tune. Often yu ride over bad streets and the bottles get more and more stuck in the cages, especially with full bottles. So the usually working "turn and lift " strategy isnt working very well.
Bomb proof way to get them out easy is to push them out with your fingers (fingertips at the bottle bottom) while grabbing the bottle. No turning no pulling needed, it comes out easy.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Häddafähn I´m contemplating those tune one´s they would go well with the CR1 frame I have ordered. How long have you had them? They look like they would break by just looking at them.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

They are very good! To convince you, i, and many other mtb folks use em on their mtb's!

They look cool and are strong!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Yeah If they can take the pummeling of mtb riding they must be good. I´ll have to add those to my order then :D Besides.... They´re pretty cheap compared to many other carbon bottle holders.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Yep, and you get a bottle and the al bolts with it! There is also a Tune Skyline version that weights 6 grams and is made of aramid! 8)
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

By the way Frankie how do you ride Mountainbikes in flat Holland is racing very similar to cross?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

You wouldn't expect it, but we sure do have hills around here. i haven't raced cross, but seen some of the tracks. It's not familiar, can't tel you what the difference is, but mtb races do have more steep climbs and the laps are short. approx 8 k. It's very much fast hardpack

gholl

by gholl

This may not be exactly on topic, but I have had a very good experience with the Elite Carbon Combi-19. It's a very light cage (I will weigh one within a week or so when I do some bike maintenance), uses a narrow, light bottle (good for small hands) and best of all, allows bottles to be pushed or pulled rather than drawn out. This is very helpful with a small compact frame. It takes a little getting used to but is a good thing. The bad thing is that these cages are very pricey-but the only use of money is spending it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

Frankie - B wrote:They are very good! To convince you, i, and many other mtb folks use em on their mtb's!

They look cool and are strong!

Are the tunes stronger/more durable than the BTP? How do they compare?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri