Wheels and more

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BigFloppyLlama

by BigFloppyLlama

I just bought a new bike (TCR Composite 2) and am a little dissatisfied with the Shimano R540 wheels (~1900g I think). I'm not aiming for an insanely light bike as my budget doesn't really permit it since I'm a high school student saving up for college, but I am interested in losing the most weight with the least amount of cost. Since the wheels are probably one of the most noticeable places I can shave weight off I was considering getting a lighter set and selling off the R540's. Ideally I'd prefer if it was pretty serviceable, durable, and able to be used as an everyday wheel as well.

I have no idea if these weights are accurate (I suspect not) but give or take a few grams and it should be somewhere near there.

Front Wheel:
Chris King Hub Road Front Black 28 Hole 112g
Ritchey Rim Aero Pro Front Black 28 Hole 395g
Revolution spokes, 3 cross lacing 140g
Black alloy nipples 10g

Rear wheel :
Chris King Hub Road Rear Black 32 Hole 263g
Ritchey Rim Aero Pro Front Black 32 Hole 395g
Drive side Revolution spokes, 80g
Non-drive side Revolution spokes, 3 cross lacing 80g
Black alloy nipples 10g

Total: ~1485g

I can have the set built up for $500 even, but I'm wondering if you have any other recommendations for spokes, hubs, rims, etc. that could save weight, still be durable, and remain around the $500.

One more question, the TCR came with a carbon fork with an alloy steerer. Does anyone have any information regarding the weight of this? Thanks.

saletel

by saletel

id go 2 cross on the front wheel. it looks sexy.

i have hugi 240 (coda branded) hubs laced 2 cross front and rear using 1.8/1.5 revolution spokes with alloy nipples and have had no problems with them (then again i laced them up :D )

kings will last forever. and they roll very smoothly and are very service able. i say go for it.

sell your wheels on ebay before you get too many miles on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

There are hubs that are lighter, cheaper and more quiet than Kings... They may be durable, but the make a very annoying sound when freewheeling... Some people may argue that this sound is like music to the ears, but I for one was very irritated by it when one of our customers let me take a spin on his bike... I can't imagine racing with these... I would be embarrased to just sit in someone's wheel and coast along...

I'ld go for a pair of Hugi240 hubs, with a pair of Open Pro rims... spokes would be CX rays crossed 2...

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Try the following thread.http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12618#12618

I know there not the cheapest wheelsets, but any from that list would be a weight advantage.

Brian

BigFloppyLlama

by BigFloppyLlama

Oswald wrote:There are hubs that are lighter, cheaper and more quiet than Kings... They may be durable, but the make a very annoying sound when freewheeling... Some people may argue that this sound is like music to the ears, but I for one was very irritated by it when one of our customers let me take a spin on his bike... I can't imagine racing with these... I would be embarrased to just sit in someone's wheel and coast along...

I'ld go for a pair of Hugi240 hubs, with a pair of Open Pro rims... spokes would be CX rays crossed 2...

The Hugi's would definitely be an option. Is there something they posess or feature that the King's don't that would be beneficial (aside from noise). As for the CX Ray spokes, I've heard these mentioned quite a bit but I haven't heard anything about why they're so good. The builder I would be using doesn't carry these, so unless there is something significantly better about them I may have to pass them up. Any reason for the Open Pro's over the Ritchey's or IRD Cadence Road?

To Bruiser: I've looked at that list quite a bit and the only ones that really fit my price range are the Speed Dream R359 and Aerolite and the American Classic 350's all of which concern me a little about ther ability to be everyday wheels rather than racing.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

There is a definite trade off between weight and strength, I would suggest saving up until you can afford a modest set of wheels for racing and a cheap everyday set.

Have you looked at your tyres to lose weight?

Brian

cadence90

by cadence90

BigFloppyLlama wrote: [snip]
To Bruiser: I've looked at that list quite a bit and the only ones that really fit my price range are the Speed Dream R359 and Aerolite and the American Classic 350's all of which concern me a little about ther ability to be everyday wheels rather than racing.

BFL, if you're choosing between those 3 wheels, I would recommend the AeroLite. I have a set weigh, 190# or so, use every day, and they're very strong, stiff, stay true, fast. I've seen AC-350's not perform well, and the R359 is Dave Thomas' version of it, perhaps better, certainly better QC, but I've never actually tried it.
The AeroLite uses a Velocity (Bruiser will like that) Fusion (30mm) rim; White Industries road hub front, mtb hub rear for flange strength, Sapim CX-Ray spokes. They are laced very tight.
The strongest of those is certainly the AeroLite, and you can tell him exactly what you need, the R359 and AeroLites are custom made for you, the AC350's are not. You have to call him, though, no email. All the guy does is build wheels, nothing else. Worth a call at least....Good luck!
http://www.speeddream.com/road.php
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigFloppyLlama

by BigFloppyLlama

Bruiser wrote:There is a definite trade off between weight and strength, I would suggest saving up until you can afford a modest set of wheels for racing and a cheap everyday set.

Have you looked at your tyres to lose weight?

Brian

I think that it would be the ideal situation to have two wheelsets, but as I'm heading into collge I have a few other expenses that will need to be considered as well.

Right now I'm running Pro Races (700Cx20) and Performance Lunarlite tubes so I don't think I can take too much off of them without going for tubulars.

I may ask my local shop to try a few wheels and decide if the weight savings is worth the additional cost.