Gouged Hed Jet 6 brake track. Fixable or rim replacement time?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

So I managed to break my scapula and crack a rib in the process of gouging the rim of my Jet 6 and tearing the sidewall of my one-week-old Corsa G+. Do you think it can still be used after some sanding and polishing?

Geoff

by Geoff

Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you're back on the bike quickly. No problem with that rim. A quick grind and it will be fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

What the heck did you run into? Ouch.

The damage in the first photo - I would want to make sure the clincher bead isn't compromised. That gouge also gets into the brake track a fair way. You might have to run your brake pads a little lower than optimal. The other side is no problem.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

Geoff, Mr.Gib,
Thanks for your comments. I will be breaking the Dremel (with a polishing wheel) out once I regain the use of my injured shoulder.
The damage was caused by riding off the raw edge (no curb) of the tarmac surface at a shallow angle.