Front disc brake reccommendations

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanBB

by DanBB

Hey everyone,

I'm currently running a Hope c2 disc on the front, which is supposed to weigh 480 grams. Im looking for something new and lighter, anyone recommend anything? The hope mini is 100 grams or so lighter, but is there anything lighter than that? I'm on roads now pretty much all the time so it doesnt have to be bomb proof. Im running a disc wheel so don't tell me to get a v-brake thanx :?

Danny

polaris

by polaris

....if you're on roads all the time you could go for a Formula brake. They range from 299g to~350 for the B4 setups depending on how much you spend.
.....but it still has to work!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanBB

by DanBB

Thanx mate

I had a look at the B4 SL's online, and they look well nice plus very pricey!! They are so light, i mean they cant be much heavier than a V-brake setup? Does having the rotar on the wheel make much difference to rotational speed?

Danny

polaris

by polaris

It will add a little to the wheel weight, but it's fairly close to the centre of the wheel so won't really affect acceleration/handling.

If you like the B4s but not the SL price go for some Pro or Team ones. Or a pair of minis for not too much more weight.

by Guest

DanBB wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm currently running a Hope c2 disc on the front, which is supposed to weigh 480 grams. Im looking for something new and lighter, anyone recommend anything? The hope mini is 100 grams or so lighter, but is there anything lighter than that? I'm on roads now pretty much all the time so it doesnt have to be bomb proof. Im running a disc wheel so don't tell me to get a v-brake thanx :?

Danny

Take the Magura Marta. It has ~ 350g all incl.

Markus

polaris

by polaris

I agree they are nice ....but the Marta's are as expensive as the B4 SLs.

DanBB

by DanBB

Hey People :D

I've just fitted my new Formula B4 sl's, saved 360 grams over my old C2's, and they feel great, not quite the overall stopping power of the hopes but then again they are still running in.

nikh

by nikh

Glad to hear that DanBB, I have some B4SL's to install with Stans Al rotors and the new '04 upgrade kit.
Looking forward to some serious breaking power.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

DanBB

by DanBB

Good stuff!!! whats the Stans al rotar kit all about?

nikh

by nikh

I'm going to be using Stans Ali discs (rotors) in place of the stock ones, there is a significant amount of weight to be saved.

For example the standard front disc (160mm) weighs in at 110g versus the ali disc at 53g! Pic attached.

You can buy the disc with specific pads here:

www.notubes.com

I have heard of a few stories of the Ali discs melting and the like but I'm taking that to being poor set-up skills.

You can get the '04 upgrade kit here:

www.thorusa.com

It basically transforms your '03 into '04 with a very slight increase in weight though.
Attachments
160mm ali rotor from notubes.com
160mm ali rotor from notubes.com

polaris

by polaris

Good luck with the Alu rotors, let us know if you have any problems.

Just a thought though......why don't Formula, Hope, Magura et al supply Alu rotors with any of their brakes? :?:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

I think the Ali discs are going to wear much quicker than the standard ones, the price we pay for being weight weenie snobs!!
Hopefully the bikes being put together this weekend and its voyage outing to 8) its been along process :roll: but a worth while one.