Please help me find a Ti seat binder bolt.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi Weenies!

I'm looking to replace my steel seat binder bolt with a Ti one. Sadly i can't seem to find a good replacement. can you please help me out?

please see the picture for measurements.
Many thanks!

'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

This isn't a good use for titanium. Your bolt can seize or break if made of titanium. This is why you are having trouble finding them. Ti bolts even for stem faceplate bolts have rather fallen out of favor for the same reason. It's a good metal to use for the top bolt in a threadless headset because there isn't a lot of load on it, but your seat post bolt needs more durability than Ti can offer.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Toronto Cycles...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I was going to say pretty much the same thing as @11.4, but I know you can get them, as shown in the post above.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

1415chris

by 1415chris

Many stems come with Ti bolts as a standard. I've been using Ti for setposts (two bolts systems), seatpost clamps and stem applications for many years. Never had any issue.
These types of clamps as shown above reguire a quite high torque. I had to go over recomended one to keep saddle in desired position. So that would be my concern with Ti whether it can withstand 15Nm ish torque.
Last edited by 1415chris on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I've found in the past it depends on the seat clamp the bolt is inserted in. If the clamp has to deform or bend quite a bit the bolt can sheer in half. Columbus Max lug didn't like bolts but other frames no problem.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Been using ti bolts since 1993 on road and mountain bikes never had one seize and only recall one breaking, to be fair it was replacing a 10.9 steel bolt on an old mtb so wasn't fit for purpose.

SRP used to make these binder bolts, might be able to find one on eBay
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Pretty rare to find SRP ones these days...last one I had sheered off at the base of the threaded section.