Campag Record chain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Guys,can you tell me if I can fit a Campag Record 10speed Ultradrive chain using a standard chain fitting tool,or do I have to use the special Campag tool?And do you know if the chain works ok in a Dura Ace 9speed setup?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

CAADHEAD wrote:Guys,can you tell me if I can fit a Campag Record 10speed Ultradrive chain using a standard chain fitting tool,or do I have to use the special Campag tool?And do you know if the chain works ok in a Dura Ace 9speed setup?

I cut it with a Shimano HG chain tool (may Valentino not strike me down!). To join it I used a Wipperman 10s link, so I could remove it for cleaning without that damn pin.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work with Dura Ace 9s, I have not tried it though.
Ride lightly!

bobalou

by bobalou

CAADHEAD wrote:Guys,can you tell me if I can fit a Campag Record 10speed Ultradrive chain using a standard chain fitting tool,or do I have to use the special Campag tool?And do you know if the chain works ok in a Dura Ace 9speed setup?

From the instruction book on my brand new 04' chain: "All C10 HD-L chain opening/closing operations should be carried out using only the campagnolo tool UT-CN200 not incoluded in the pack."

I was hoping it wouldn't be the case.. but such is campy for you!

You can always just use an aftermarket (via wippermann or IRD) connecting link also.

I don't think I'd use it with a DA9 setup as the spacing is smaller on the C10 chain, but the consensus has been that the inverse is true - you can use a DA9 chain on campag 10.

bobalou

by bobalou

I also have used a regular chain tool to break the c10 chain and installed a link (as per Ye Old Bald One's suggestion). I just think if you plan to install their "connecting pin" you have to use their tool otherwise could be problematic.

divve

by divve

To someone who actually owns the new hollow pin 10s Campy chain:

Does the chain include the same closing/connecting pin as the regular Record chain, or does it use the Campy Permalink closure as their online manual states?

I'm asking cause I don't want a Permalink...yes I could use Wipperman etc....

For those who have asked about a suitable tool for the Campy 10s chain, you can use any regular chain tool that's compatible with a Shimano 9s chain for instance. The only difference being that the Campy HD-L chain tool holds the chain halves together while you insert their dedicated pin. When using a generic chain tool you only have to take care there's no tension on the chain when closing it. For the remainder follow their instructions.

saletel

by saletel

i have the hollow pin chain. i broke it with a park shop chain tool and clossed it with a wipperman link.

it comes with a perma link and it is kind of hollow. i'll scan the instruction and post it up

divve

by divve

Thanks for clearing it up! I'm glad it's not the dreaded Permalink (see below) :) That's the HD-L closure but with hollow pins and plates. I'm going to try one of those as well.
Attachments
permalink.gif

saletel

by saletel

id say the link is verysimilar to the shimano pins. and should not be removed after insertion, but that im not sure of

divve

by divve

Yes, that's correct. You should only use the pin on a fresh outer link. If you break open a joined chain you'll require the closure linkage that you scanned in. Of course you can use a Wipperman link but I never remove my chain unless I'm going to get rid of it or need a new front derailleur. So I just stick to the official method.

bobalou

by bobalou

divve wrote:Yes, that's correct. You should only use the pin on a fresh outer link. If you break open a joined chain you'll require the closure linkage that you scanned in. Of course you can use a Wipperman link but I never remove my chain unless I'm going to get rid of it or need a new front derailleur. So I just stick to the official method.

There's another reason to remove the chain (I learned about from this board actually) is that you can flip the chain to get more life out of it. Just an FYI. :wink:

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/art ... 610.0.html

divve

by divve

Yeah...when your cigar is finished you can smoke it from the other end as well :lol:

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/art ... 642.0.html

Dear readers,
I don't know about all of you, but I'm getting tired of talking about chains, even though the mail keeps pouring in about them. I do want to add, though, that Shimano's Wayne Stetina just told me that he would never advise flipping over a 10-speed chain, so this method is only for 9-speed and lower.

Leaving chains, here are a couple of related questions to which a single answer might suffice.
Lennard

bobalou

by bobalou

divve wrote:Yeah...when your cigar is finished you can smoke it from the other end as well :lol:

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/art ... 642.0.html

Dear readers,
I don't know about all of you, but I'm getting tired of talking about chains, even though the mail keeps pouring in about them. I do want to add, though, that Shimano's Wayne Stetina just told me that he would never advise flipping over a 10-speed chain, so this method is only for 9-speed and lower.

Leaving chains, here are a couple of related questions to which a single answer might suffice.
Lennard

I did the FYI for exactly that.. as a "for your information" you can read it and say thanks or be civil and disagree in some other manner or make fun of it and start an arguement, as we have seen here often. There's lots of different opinion (and sources) on what is good and bad in purchasing and using equipment here, chains and otherwise, I appreciate all of it, and even some of the cocky guys that talk like they know everything. Actually there is a very long series of articles (in tech news) in velonews on chains which is why you see Lennard Zinn saying:

I don't know about all of you, but I'm getting tired of talking about chains, even though the mail keeps pouring in about them.

I think I have to agree with Lennard on that point as there have also been long discussions here about it! I will say that I personally have never flipped a chain but it appears to be an old trick that works.. and I plan to on my current one (about half way through the expected life) and asked an experienced mechanic about it and he said it can't hurt. Ultimately it's the roloff chain tool that will decide when the chain must be replaced for me. :wink:

divve

by divve

The problem is that the same guy who recommends it for a 9s chain doesn't recommend it for a 10s chain, without giving an explanation why the same wouldn't apply. Then, he goes on to give faulty information regarding breaking open a Campy chain, which in actuality you can break and join again using a new HD-Link.

How much confidence you want to put into this information is indeed up to you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

divve wrote:The problem is that the same guy who recommends it for a 9s chain doesn't recommend it for a 10s chain, without giving an explanation why the same wouldn't apply. Then, he goes on to give faulty information regarding breaking open a Campy chain, which in actuality you can break and join again using a new HD-Link.

How much confidence you want to put into this information is indeed up to you.

Yes.. I agree on that point. Also, he's a shimano guy and is apparently talking about the shimano 9/10 chains. Does it apply to campy chains .. who knows!? I don't think so. The logic doesn't even make sense to me, why would something that would work with a 9 not work with the 10?