Thinking of getting an Edge 520

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jspaceman

by jspaceman

My Edge 500 seems to be near death and I've been thinking of getting an Edge 520. They are about $400 here in Canada for the non-bundle version. I notice that they are cheaper on Wiggle and Sigma Sport (about $280 at Sigma Sport UK after currency conversion). I was under the impression that Garmin keeps a tight rein on their device prices, similar to what Apple does with their iGadgets.

Are the 520s sold by Wiggle and Sigma Sport refurbished models? Am I just getting lucky and the pound to Canadian dollar conversion rate is good right now? Is there duty on importing cycling computers to Canada?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

Cheapest UK site I've found is Evans which is where I bought mine shipped to Australia: https://www.evanscycles.com/garmin-edge-520-EV250237

It was legit, no funny business. The exchange rate is great at the moment which is why anything from the UK is cheap for buyers pretty much everywhere else.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Got a 520 from Canyon as they where dong a deal on them at the time (it was about 12 quid cheaper than the Wiggle price). The main players in the UK are Wiggle/CRC/Ribble/Evans with other sites such as Sigma Sport and Merlin worth a look.

KarlC

by KarlC

I got the 520 a while back, its nicer than the 500 but one of the main things I was looking forward to was the Live Strava Segment Integration. It has that but it really does not work well at all most of the time, so don't count on it.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

#stravaisntracing
Using Tapatalk

mentok

by mentok

Oh yeah, i did mean to mention that the only real difference between the 510 and 520 is a slight performance improvement (movement through menus and screens is fractionally smoother) and that you can use the Connect IQ apps. The Connect IQ apps are what sold it for me, combined with the fact that my 510 is beaten up from crashes and the screen is heavily scratched from swiping in dirty MTB gloves. Not sure that I'll ever bother to use the improved mapping functions.

If you don't care about IQ apps and you can find a good price, i think the 510 is still a pretty good option.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Thanks for the Evans Cycle tip. Unfortunately Canada Post will probably be going out on strike on Monday, so I might hold off on ordering the 520 until that's settled.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the 510 with the touch screen. The touch screen is very slow to respond. Garmin probably looked for the cheapest screen they could find. Unfortunately the slow and unresponsive screen detracts from the overall user experience. I think I'd rather have the 520 with the numerous buttons than a 510 with a slow screen. If implemented well a touch screen is awesome.

There's some rumors of a new Garmin with a touch-capacitive (like Apple) screen. You might want to hold out a bit.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

pdlpsher1 wrote:I have the 510 with the touch screen. The touch screen is very slow to respond. Garmin probably looked for the cheapest screen they could find. Unfortunately the slow and unresponsive screen detracts from the overall user experience. I think I'd rather have the 520 with the numerous buttons than a 510 with a slow screen. If implemented well a touch screen is awesome.

There's some rumors of a new Garmin with a touch-capacitive (like Apple) screen. You might want to hold out a bit.

Yeah, the Edge 820 that's rumoured to be coming out soon. I keep checking Garmin's website, but so far nothing. And I suppose if it does come out it might lead to a price drop on the 520 if I opt for that.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

jspaceman wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:I have the 510 with the touch screen. The touch screen is very slow to respond. Garmin probably looked for the cheapest screen they could find. Unfortunately the slow and unresponsive screen detracts from the overall user experience. I think I'd rather have the 520 with the numerous buttons than a 510 with a slow screen. If implemented well a touch screen is awesome.

Yeah, the Edge 820 that's rumoured to be coming out soon. I keep checking Garmin's website, but so far nothing. And I suppose if it does come out it might lead to a price drop on the 520 if I opt for that.

Don't bet on the price drop of the 520. I don't think historically this has happened with Garmin products. Right now the 520 is selling great and I see little reason for Garmin to drop their prices.

chanhun

by chanhun

I always use the latest generation.
I used the 510. I have long been satisfied with it.
But I changed to 520 before three months. The reactivity is much better.
Recently I heard rumors about 820
I will change to 820.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

jspaceman wrote:Thanks for the Evans Cycle tip. Unfortunately Canada Post will probably be going out on strike on Monday, so I might hold off on ordering the 520 until that's settled.

I don't think evans will use Canada Post. I'm trying to remember as I did order my 520 from them... but I'm almost sure it was DHL (so guaranteed to get taxes)

jspaceman

by jspaceman

wheelzqc wrote:
jspaceman wrote:Thanks for the Evans Cycle tip. Unfortunately Canada Post will probably be going out on strike on Monday, so I might hold off on ordering the 520 until that's settled.

I don't think evans will use Canada Post. I'm trying to remember as I did order my 520 from them... but I'm almost sure it was DHL (so guaranteed to get taxes)

I ended up ordering it from Evans and the only shipping option I got was free international shipping. No tracking number. I'm assuming it's sent via Royal Mail, who then hand it off to Canada Post.

AJS914

by AJS914

I think that the downside of buying from the UK is that if you need warranty service you will need to send it back to the UK. They say:

International Purchases: A separate warranty may be provided by international distributors for devices purchased outside the United States depending on the country. If applicable, this warranty is provided by the local in-country distributor and this distributor provides local service for your device. Distributor warranties are only valid in the area of intended distribution. Devices purchased in the United States or Canada must be returned to the Garmin service center in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, or Taiwan for service.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

best thing about 520 versus the 510 (or other like it) is tactile buttons vs touchscreen. Touch screen for a gps is hilarious.

the only qualm about 520 are the idiotic updates that reset soft reset the device sometimes and then when i turn off my computer , it does not auto power off (without setting the time out).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com