GIANT Xtc Composite '05 8,6Kg. (2011 Updates on pag. 02)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MaLóL

by MaLóL

My bike updates

kmc x10 sl and specialités ta 44t ring (just replaced by an extralite octaramp 44)

frm levers and extralite 96gr. handlebar

flying snake and tune housings:

8.250gr. complete bike with racing ralph weighed on a fishing scale without polar, bottle cage and barends:

waiting for new ultimate 27.2 seatpost and use 20gr shim.
Last edited by MaLóL on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happy trails !!!!!

EpicriderGMAC

by EpicriderGMAC

Great job on that XTC composite of yours! That frame is so light that you can build a sub-20 lb bike easily with a Fox fork...or you can choose to deck it out in full WW apparel, just like yours!

I really like the seat and post, but isn't the crankset a bit ugly? The middel and small rings need to be replaced, no?

Great job!
"It doesn't get any easier--You just get faster."
-Greg Lemond-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tim

by Tim

how does the alo bolts to the stem works? I'm thinking about to do the same but I'm not sure if it would hold up.

I've heard both good and bad experience of alu bolts to fitt bar to stem, with 2 and 4 bolt fitting.

I know it's no problems with stem to fork fitting.

MaLóL

by MaLóL

There´s no problem using alu bolts on a f99 stem, due to the rubber inserts and using one of those torque-wrench. i weight 70kg. Sauser use alu bolts on stem too.
Happy trails !!!!!

Tim

by Tim

okey, weight almost the same as you.

now I have to try to use alu bolts.. just weight it.. 95grams.. instead of 107 with steel bolts (105mm).. not a bad tuning.

mattpage

by mattpage

Me personally the stem is one place I wouldnt use an alu bolt.
That is because if it did fail it wouldn't be a pretty ending.

Just because sauser uses alu bolts doesnt make it a sensible thing. Maybe he gets new bolts every race which would most likley avoid fatigue to the bolts.

ChuckyMTBR

by ChuckyMTBR

That crankset IMHO is the most beautiful part on the entire bike. I am so sick of seeing a bunch of bikes that have zero wear on them and look as if they never get riden. How can you get faster unless you ride. What is the point of a light bike if you don't ride it. It's like my Dad always said when we'd go fishing when I was a kid, "It's kind of hard to catch a fish when your hook isn't in the water."

sniperworks

by sniperworks

Nice built update!

I read in your full specs that you use a Tune Pulsar magnet, I got one for my scott also but how does it hold? I did not dare to use it. :roll: cause I am afraid I would loose it.

kentkreitler

by kentkreitler

Nice ride!
I will ride a XTC 0 (the -05 version with hybrid frame) Any suggestions how to shed some pounds from it without breaking the bank??

I will change tires to RR with Stan's. How about Giant's own parts, bars, stems etc? They're all carbon on my bike, maybe should i change saddle?

Composite World

by Composite World

Beautiful, but what about painting the SID and the SRAM shifters? Those shifters are light but don't go well with the rest of the bike, I mean its about the model.
Live to ride, ride to live

Tim

by Tim

whats wrong with the rocket shifters? I think they fits perfect with the frm brakelevers.

Composite World

by Composite World

Tim wrote:whats wrong with the rocket shifters? I think they fits perfect with the frm brakelevers.

This is just my opinion, only a suggestion. For sure everybody has their own. I see those rocket shifters usually on lower grade bikes, that's why they have somewhat low grade image in my mind. Thus, I would paint them
Live to ride, ride to live

MaLóL

by MaLóL

the rocket shifters is the top of the range shifter sram offers compatible with shimano rear der. It works better than xo IMHO, and way worse than any rapidfire plus, IMHO. But they shift really fast and it´s very accurate when they are nicely dialed, so i prefer them over the rapidfires. I agree the silver look is a bit... i prefer the dark look of my old 800 x-ray but they are not suitable with 9 speed cassettes so...

New seatpost and tunning the fork will be the next upgrades.
Happy trails !!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fuel

by fuel

I am thinking of getting a Giant composite 2006 but I don't know which size is good for me.

I was thinking to get a size S but maybe that is just to small.

I am 177cm and my inner legs are 81cm.

Is your bike a size M and how long are you?