Campagnolo EPS compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pritchet74

by pritchet74

I am finally going to make the jump from Di2 over to EPS, with the goal of eventually having everything setup for Record EPS v3. Unfortunately that's cost prohibitive right now. I will be getting everything used as that's the only way this guy with 4 kids can make EPS happen.

I read that v3 won't work with v1 front derailleurs. Since I am going to be putting this on a Colnago EP, I can only do external wiring, so I am leaning towards a v1 setup. Although with a v2 setup I could mount the battery to the chainstay since they make a mount for that. I want to eventually run v3, so I would like to get a newer front derailleur so it will work with v3. What model year EPS Record FD is considered v2 so it would work with v3? Also, will this FD work with v1?

Has anyone mounted the v2 battery to the chainstay? How bad does that look?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

The V2 battery looks a little awkward mounted externally, I'm speaking from experience. I'm not conversant with the Colnago EP frame, is there a particular reason you can't place battery internally? That gives a much cleaner look.

Can't help with the model year compatibility thing, have you read the available documentation?

pritchet74

by pritchet74

My Colnago EP is from 2008 and a lugged carbon frame. No way to mount internally without drilling the tubes and also the bottom bracket shell, which I am not inclined to do.

That's my concern with mounting the v2 battery. I think that the v1 battery will probably look better mounted at the down tube bottle cage.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I would not hesitate to drill your frame. I drilled my C59 and would do it again. Nothing to it.

-Eddie

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I sent mine to Ruckus and they did the conversion for me, They could have touched up the repairs but I chose to do a full custom respray

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130109

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

drill holes for the eps cables and do it internal. colnago uses pretty thick carbon. drill three holes: one near front derailleur, one through existing cable stop, and one for rear derailleur.

you will need to also drill 3 holes through the alloy shell under the seattube, downtube and chainstay.

it will look much neater.

put the v2 battery in the seattube where the water bosses are and attach with the campy screws.

buy the extension for the battery cable and house that in your seattube with foam or other packing material.

i would not mount external as it is ugly looking.

Dowks

by Dowks

^^ This

I did it on my C59 and works a treat, pop seat post out when you need to charge and then you don't have to drill for power port if you don't want and will be upgrading to v3 in due course, as I am

goodboyr

by goodboyr

pritchet74 wrote:My Colnago EP is from 2008 and a lugged carbon frame. No way to mount internally without drilling the tubes and also the bottom bracket shell, which I am not inclined to do.

That's my concern with mounting the v2 battery. I think that the v1 battery will probably look better mounted at the down tube bottle cage.

Drill it and post pics..........aren't you the same guy that started the di2 retrofit drilling craze with your cervelo?...

pritchet74

by pritchet74

goodboyr wrote:
pritchet74 wrote:My Colnago EP is from 2008 and a lugged carbon frame. No way to mount internally without drilling the tubes and also the bottom bracket shell, which I am not inclined to do.

Drill it and post pics..........aren't you the same guy that started the di2 retrofit drilling craze with your cervelo?...

Yup, that was me, but coloclimber was the 1st guy to do it. He helped me with mine a couple of weeks later. Waaaaaaay back then. I still have that same bike with Di2 by the way. Great race bike.

I called Ruckus and talked to a guy over there - they can do all the drilling for me for $500 including routing the cable thru the chainstay for the RD.

If I do it myself I wouldn't drill out the chainstay, but I could do the other tubes. My only concern is drilling holes in the BB shell. I just don't know how to properly go about going about it. Is there an attachment I could get for a dremel that would go thru the BB shell?

I called Campagnolo NA this afternoon and they said that v3 will be compatible with v1 front derailleurs - which is contrary to what I had read on this link: http://glorycycles.com/campagnolo-super ... ower-unit/

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Right angle attachment for dremel and a tungsten carbide bit. Like butter, baby!

pritchet74

by pritchet74

goodboyr wrote:Right angle attachment for dremel and a tungsten carbide bit. Like butter, baby!

Awesome. That's what I needed! Thanks!

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Just keep that bit away from the bb threads. When you start it, it might "walk" a bit. Don't want to damage the threads.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

And it's an honour to help you. That work you and coloclimber did was what inspired me to do my r3, and then many more after that. You guys were the pioneers of di2 hacking.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

I think that having 4 kids now has just gotten me a bit unadventurous with the bikes - thanks for the push. I'm pretty excited to get this project going.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Two comments:
1. I have a Colnago EPS. I have a v2 battery in the seat tube. I enlarged the water hole in the BB. All the wires, including the charging wire, come out there. Before, I had a v1 battery on the downtube. In both cases, I just taped the wires to the bike.
2 I am in the process of setting up a new bike with it, and it works just fine, but I haven't tested out all the Apps yet. (but I have heard that a v2 derailleur won't work with a v1 battery).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com