What wheels to get next?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PCS74

by PCS74

Off Topic,

Why is everyone against carbon rims for daily use? Is this just in the case of carbon clinchers or tubulars as well?

With a carbon clincher rim there is a large risk that the shoulders may be damaged from a large impact. However, in the case of tubular's a carbon rim should be stronger in all aspects provided it is designed and manufactured correctly.

Am I missing something here? Do the braking surfaces on a carbon rim wear extremely fast?

Chris S

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Guys, I'm not a gold mine! don't have 2000 for a set of reynolds. :wink:

Under 1000 guys, reynolds, I don't think so. :lol:

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

PCS74 wrote:Off Topic,

Why is everyone against carbon rims for daily use? Is this just in the case of carbon clinchers or tubulars as well?

With a carbon clincher rim there is a large risk that the shoulders may be damaged from a large impact. However, in the case of tubular's a carbon rim should be stronger in all aspects provided it is designed and manufactured correctly.

Am I missing something here? Do the braking surfaces on a carbon rim wear extremely fast?

Chris S

It's the impact issue for me. More so a problem with clinchers than tubular carbon rims.
Ride lightly!

Joel

by Joel

Superlite, when you want sub 1000$ wheels, go for Corima.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Guys, I'm not a gold mine! don't have 2000 for a set of reynolds. :wink:

Then don't get anything with a carbon rim.

Why not have some CR-350's or something similar built up?
Ride lightly!

bobalou

by bobalou

Superlite wrote:Guys, I'm not a gold mine! don't have 2000 for a set of reynolds. :wink:

Set of Elan's is easy under 800 bucks. Hard to beat on a price per gram savings scale .. as far as the CR350's I thought everyone was trashing AC wheels on this board not too long ago. :wink: But I guess you build your own with a better set of hubs.

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

Superlight-- Check out ebay for a set of Reynolds wheels. I got mine for $750 new. It never even had a tire glued on yet!

There is a set of Cirro wheels on there now that are brand new and the seller says his reserve is half the price of new wheels. Who knows, you might get lucky and get the set for $800 or less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

userdeleted

by userdeleted

Superlite, you need at least one more wheelset than one. I can't imagine having only one wheelset. Thats crazy. No spare wheels for wheels in-wheels out races, nothing if one breaks, and you cant have a really high performance wheel if you are trying to consider how it will hold up for everyday riding (no, dont give me examples about wheels that do it all, i dont want to hear it). And why are you afraid of glue? Tubulars aren't the devil, and they are better than clinchers for racing. "Oh but Hawk, theres been so many advances in clincher technology, and what if I flat a tubular in a race?" If you flat a tubular in a race, its the same as flatting a clincher in a race - you have to get a spare wheel or your race is over. But tubulars flat a lot less, and they have a MUCH smaller risk of blowing up like clinchers do, which makes them much safer for races. Sell you ksyriums, get a good set of 32 hole clinchers or mavic cosmos or cosmic elites etc (theres a buy-it-now set of cosmic elites on ebay right now for $160). Then invest in a nice set of tubular racing wheels.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I use my AC tubulars with Tufo tires(with sealant addedd) as my training wheels. I haven't had a flat in almost 2 seasons with Tufos. I have had my rear wheel trued once......and that's on a 1090 gram wheelset!!!!! The Tufo tires with the sealant works unreal....I got home from a ride last week and there was a small nail in my tire......I pulled it out and got to watch the sealant seal the rather large hole up, only lost a bit of air! Works great

Bruiser

by Bruiser

On a slight tangent (if SL is still after clinchers), which tubular race wheelset can I buy for around $1000?

Brian

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Brilliant case made for Tubulars by HawkMt210 but you ommitted one other feature. Tubs are still attached to the rim when they puncture so they are still safeish to ride on if you're totally stuck. I am not the only advocate, Abraham Olano won the 1995 Worlds on a flat tub. Better to roll carefully to the finish rather than risk a wheel change.

Superlite

by Superlite

Ok guys, I was asking about light weight clinchers! Argh! No offense but you guys need to learn to stay on topic!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Well they converted me, but I do agree you need a second pair of wheels.

Brian

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Ok guys, I was asking about light weight clinchers! Argh! No offense but you guys need to learn to stay on topic!

But his other comment was. You do need more than one :!:
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Keep the Ksyriums for training and buy a race quality wheelset. The Ksyiums can be raced if needed.

Brian