What wheels to get next?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

OK! My ksyriums weigh too much! I wanna sell them and get some other clinchers. What shoud I go with that also is as stiff as the ksyriums?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:OK! My ksyriums weigh too much! I wanna sell them and get some other clinchers. What shoud I go with that also is as stiff as the ksyriums?

Spada Carbonio Clinchers!

Approx. 1440gm a pair, 20h front, 24h rear with Sapim CX-Ray black spokes and hidden nipples. 38mm deep Carbon w/Al braking surface. Is what I was told.

Sorry I don't have a link or pics :(
Last edited by Ye Olde Balde One on Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

got a link or pictures? Infor would be nice. :wink:

spytech

by spytech

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:
Superlite wrote:OK! My ksyriums weigh too much! I wanna sell them and get some other clinchers. What shoud I go with that also is as stiff as the ksyriums?

Spada Carbonio Clinchers!

Approx. 1440gm a pair, 20h front, 24h rear with Sapim CX-Ray black spokes and hidden nipples. 38mm deep Carbon w/Al braking surface. Is what I was told.

Sorry I don't have a link or pics :(

are those wheels good for everyday riding?

Superlite

by Superlite

Too heavy! Would like something lighter, sub 1400g if possible and still be ksyrium stiff.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Too heavy! Would like something lighter, sub 1400g if possible and still be ksyrium stiff.

There is a full carbon rim set as well that's sub 1400gm a pair (mine are 1312gm) but if they are going to be your only set of wheels is a full carbon rim a good idea?

@Spytech; Yes I think they are good for everyday riding with the Al braking surfaces.
Last edited by Ye Olde Balde One on Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

Are they clinchers? Durable to? Got a pic and specs for those?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Are they clinchers? Durable to? Got a pic and specs for those?

Yes full carbon clinchers. I think they would be durable, but for full time use? That's your choice. The other specs are the same, 20/24h with Sapim CX-Rays. I have not taken pics yet of the Beast, which is what I fitted them to as it's "normal" wheels. The others are all tubulars.
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

Got a link to the site they are on?

If you don't think they are strong enough for an every day wheel what else you got up your sleave?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Got a link to the site they are on?

If you don't think they are strong enough for an every day wheel what else you got up your sleave?

Not on the site yet I don't think.

The only reason I don't think they are strong enough for an every day wheel is because of the carbon lip. How many potholes in Colorado are there?

They will be my every day wheel for The Beast, but my training wheels are Spada Stiletto's.
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

Know any other wheels *NOTE* Doesn't have to be Spada. :lol:

I've found these in the past Ronda Carbon wheelset, but can not find them anywhere now. Any info on these?

morrisond

by morrisond

Superlite, email Mark at spada-usa@earthlink.net for information on the wheels. I've got a set of the Carbon/Aluminum clinchers coming(recommended by Ye Old Balde One). Hubs are beautiful, go to www.spadabike.com to see pictures of hubs.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Know any other wheels *NOTE* Doesn't have to be Spada. :lol:

I've found these in the past Ronda Carbon wheelset, but can not find them anywhere now. Any info on these?

Well, my winter wheels are Ambrosio Excel-Light on Max-Lite hubs; 28/32h but 680gm front, 880gm rear.

The Ronda are/were going to be made by FiR with carbon spokes, I don't think they ever made them to market. Same concern there though over the carbon lip.
Ride lightly!

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

why not a pair of the AC sprint 350's? I rode those for 2 seasons before I got my tubulars. I used the 350's to train and they were very strong and under 1400 grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

Superlite, check out Reynolds, they make a great deep rim clincher .. and a very light tubular racing wheel (CIRRO - SV-KOM - 1050g).

http://www.reynoldscomposites.com/Products-Wheels.asp

I seem to remember you were considering teh Rolfprima Elan Aeros.. if you want a sub 1400g clincher I think they're hard to beat (I have the non-aero Elan's) and around 1300g a set and affordable too. They're very stiff for me at 180lbs. I talked with a guy yesterday at a club ride (a Cat-1 racer) that had the Elan Aero's and he loves them, he's 155lbs and used to ride Ksyriums.

I personally am considering losing a couple hunderd grams by going tubular, I've been hesitant because of puncture's on the road, but can carry a spare emergency tubular and still be saving weight. If I go tubular it will probably be the reynolds. Good luck!