Look Fournales experiences anyone?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

martin

by martin

i saw a "look fournales" fork new for 400Eur and now i wonder if it might suit my Rocky Mountain Element.

intended use: Marathons, (extensive) tours. No races, no freeride. i'm a sissy in the trail.

currently i use a 2000 SID SL, but that feels somewhat soft, i hate the adjusting with the SID adapdter and it begins to rot away internally anyway, my lbs told me when they last serviced it.

Would the Look fit in my frame? is 400E a good price? what do you think?
or do "modern" forks like, say, a Fox Float perform so much better that it is worth the extra money?

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The forx still have some issues, like oil leakages, But when this is solved, this is most def. the way to go!

Although they are not light.

Look forks are also good, but work very diff. In a sort of circular motion.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

JK

by JK

Frankie - B wrote:The forx still have some issues, like oil leakages, But when this is solved, this is most def. the way to go!

Uhm... not light? COME ON!! Look advertises with 1300grams and there's one in the listings that's below that figure...

I have no experience with this fork, but German BIKE mag tested it and found its damping qualities excellent. The quality of the bearings also is super, and the anti-dive effect of such a linkage fork is nice... the only drawback of this fork is its stiffness... prepare to go straight on, if you steer into a turn :lol:

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Frankie - B wrote:The forx still have some issues, like oil leakages, But when this is solved, this is most def. the way to go!

JK wrote:Uhm... not light? COME ON!! Look advertises with 1300grams and there's one in the listings that's below that figure...

If you read my reply a bit better, you should have noticed that i was mentioning the forx!
:unbelievable:
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I think Frankie meant FOX not forx as being not very light.

Just typo thing, I would imagine.

JK

by JK

Xterra Racer wrote:I think Frankie meant FOX not forx as being not very light.

Just typo thing, I would imagine.

I guess so. Thought he meant "Forks", reffering to the Look fork. Some people write "Forks" like "Forx", because (coz ;-)) it looks cooler that way... I guess... English is not my native language... Anyway, never mind!
Last edited by JK on Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

English isn't mine either, and you know that JK. I though i'd type forx as in fox forx. I though everybody knew that!

Anyway, I meant the forx forx are heavy and still have issues period

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Okay let's all have a group hug now. Well, maybe not...just kidding.

JK

by JK

Frankie - B wrote:English isn't mine either, and you know that JK. I though i'd type forx as in fox forx. I though everybody knew that!

Ehm... Nope! I do now. Thanks for updating my bike slang... ;-)

martin

by martin

I have no experience with this fork, but German BIKE mag tested it and found its damping qualities excellent. The quality of the bearings also is super, and the anti-dive effect of such a linkage fork is nice... the only drawback of this fork is its stiffness... prepare to go straight on, if you steer into a turn :lol:

Hm, i used a "Girvin Vector 2" some time ago (until the elastomers had turned into solid brick, that is) and was *very* happy with the stiffness of this construction. Or does the Look fork really change the steering geometry that much?

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

JK

by JK

Xterra Racer wrote:Okay let's all have a group hug now. Well, maybe not...just kidding.

:lol: Good idea :wink: Although I am close enough to him to get in my car and kick his butt ;-) :lol:

Also kidding ;-) - anyone ever rode a Look Fournales fork?

JK

by JK

martin wrote:Hm, i used a "Girvin Vector 2" some time ago (until the elastomers had turned into solid brick, that is) and was *very* happy with the stiffness of this construction. Or does the Look fork really change the steering geometry that much?

Martin

No, the mechanism is quite the same. Girvin forks were much stiffer, due to their solidly built aluminium stanchions. Look uses very light carbon fibre tubes, which does not do much good to the torsional stiffnes of the fork. That's not a problem if you are not much of a bratwurst fan ;-)

To answer your original question: If it would fit your bike depends on the size of the fork. They come in different sizes. You have to measure your steering tube and check the table on www.lookcycle.com for the correct size for your frame.

yoko

by yoko

martin wrote:Hm, i used a "Girvin Vector 2" some time ago (until the elastomers had turned into solid brick, that is) and was *very* happy with the stiffness of this construction.

If your happy with the Girvin Vector, you'll love the fournales fork. I also use the girvin before. Two months ago I got the fournales fork and it's great in handling the trail.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I just read a test in a dutch mtb mag about the hurrycat vorace. I works the same as the look, but they were raving about the stiffness of the fork.

Just an idea!