Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:23 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:10 am 

Hello to all,

So I have decided to sell my BMC SLR02 with 9070 Di2 and get something else instead. I wanted to save money and get bike purely to please me. As much as I liked how the BMC rides, I have struggled to enjoy the bike. There was no character, no emotion... I have kept only my wheelset, which is Corima Aero S.

I knew I didn't want to buy Di2 again. I have tried 6770, 7970 and 9070. It is precise, the front shifting is quick and the auto-trim is great when racing. Almost no service is also needed. But I used to love toying with shifters and cables to achieve more precise shifting. And I missed the feedback so much... Shimano, and Di2 especially, just has no heart. I hate SRAM and his style DoubleTap. So I have fulfill my dream and bought a brand new Campagnolo Chorus 2015. The new design is simply astonishing.

The new frame was a more difficult choice. I have crossed out all the brands/frames I feel nothing towards. I was looking for something unique, high-quality and cheap. A bad combination, usually you can pick one, maybe two if you are lucky. And no carbon has made the selection, it was aluminium. I got lucky and found S-Works Allez 2013 frame-set. I didn't believe them at first, since no S-Works Allez frame-set was available in 2013, but they have stripped down the whole bike and sold the components.

Now, I just need to use just the right components to complete the bike nicely. Since it is an aluminium frame, I was thinking about Thomson/Ritchey. But I would be glad for your suggestions.

I will post the photos as soon as I receive the frame.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:39 pm 

You have made a good choice.

I have one set up very similar to your. Running 2015 Record with Fulcrum Zeros.
Using Zipp finishing kit, just got to get some narrower bars on it now, then it will be sweet.

If I had a good photo I would post it to get you excited.

Crux Bunny Hopper
Slate Cx1

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:39 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:36 pm 

I think you will enjoy it. I built a 2014 Smart Weld Allez(black anodized) with 2014 Record components and love it. I have done a few centuries on it and have no complaints at all. I originally used a Rotor 3DF from a previous build, but recently swapped it for the S Works crank. I would suggest getting a Parlee derailleur clamp.
Rhett

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 am 

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Cheaper aluminium frames are suddenly making lots of sense because of how quick technology is moving 'forward' ... and you can't go much wrong with an S-Works Allez.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:53 pm 

The build is almost finished. I have used 3T cockpit, but I feel I will need to get rid of the white pain on the stem and bars. I am going to remove the "Aero S" decals on the wheels, but the big white Corima will stay. The seatpost is Specialized Alu, but it will do for now. I will swap it for carbon latter.

I had a chance to get a quick 2hours ride and I was quite please with the road feel. I didn't have any problems with stiffness or comfort. To me Allez feel more lively compare to SLR02, yet a little more smooth. Obviously you get more feedback from the road, which can be either positive or negative for some. For sure I need to make more rides before I will be able to say how good the frame is.

Here is some crappy picture I made with iPhone. Proper picture will come...

PS: Are you using brake housing end when entering and exiting the frame? I have used just the cables without ends and the feel is not really smooth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:35 pm 

The bike looks great! That color scheme is flashy but in a subtle way unlike neon (disclaimer: I LOVE neon).

What BB adapter are you using to run Campagnolo cranks on the frame?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:50 pm 

Cool bike. How do you like the corima's. How do they brake?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:01 pm 

I have used original Campy BB30 adapter and they have not made a sound, neither has moved out from the frame. They sit pretty snugly and you cannot push them to th shell by bare hands only.

I am please with the result. Need to fix the rear brake cable, since there is a little bit of a play. Probably the courtesy of not using the housing ends. The ride is pretty good, doesn't feel like the regular alu bike at all. I can certainly feel more feedback from the road. The ride isn't that comfy on really a rough roads, but at the same time SLR02 sometimes felt to dead and woody. Big potholes are actually handled by Allez better... But there is still a lot of work to do on the build.

By the way, mine is 27/110. Since I get the frame (Never ridden, directly from Specialized Concept Store) for 635$ I guess it is one hell of a deal.

- Cockpit: Remove decals from the stem and bars
- Wheels: Remove Aero S decals
- New Cassette: Campagnolo Chorus 11-25
- New Seatpost: New Specialized S-WORKS Carbon 20x400
- New Seatpost collar: Specialized S-Works collar
- New saddle: Bontrager Serano
- New Pedals: Shimano PD-6800 (Will I upset Campy?)
- Fork: Cut the fork to the minimum
- Cables: Jagwire Link (Will this work with Campy?)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:22 pm 

GorrGrimWolf wrote:
PS: Are you using brake housing end when entering and exiting the frame? I have used just the cables without ends and the feel is not really smooth.

On mine I'm not using a cap on entering the top tube. Using one on the exit cable stop.
Make sure you are using the sheaths on entry & exit stops. It does make a difference & the cable wont cut into the stops / frame.

Mine is number 78 & I know of a new 56cm that is for sale as well.

Crux Bunny Hopper
Slate Cx1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:03 pm 

I like. S-Works Allez with Chorus, Corima and a classic bar, that's how I would love to have mine too :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 pm 

Nice choise! Cheaper does not always mean inferior. I am sure you'll enjoy it. BTW one of my favorite frames was an altec2+ aluminium Colnago dream.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:32 pm 

What a beauty! And that drop! Damn son, you must fly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:48 pm 

Magnifique !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:21 pm 

Any updated shots or reports? I love the s works and would love to have one soon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:01 pm 

With regards to the back brake - it's meant to be run as a single run of outer. Mine was supplied with a bit of foam to place over it so it doesn't rattle. Works really well!

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:01 pm