changing travel of my judy by cutting?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Is there a way to lower the travel of my open bath judy race for ever, Can i cut the sliders, or put in some other sliders? The 100mm option is really ruining my geometry. cutting the fork to 63 mm travel will be the best option.

Do i have to change the crown, springs, etc?

Thanks!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

JK

by JK

:idea: Lost your fork manual? Download it from www.sram.com!

I will give you a hint: Your fork has got "All Travel" spacers. Check out www.angryasian.com, maintenance section, choose your fork, "basic maintenance" and presto... no cutting needed! Reducing travel to 63mm this way also reduces fork lenght. Another more weight-weenie like option is to drop in Total Air cartridges. They are available at 63/70mm of travel and you would lose something like 300 grams.

The Angry One made a great site by the way... suspension problems?? check his forum first!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

It's more about reducing fork height. The fork is now 46.5 cm. center axle to the top of the crown. My zaskar needs a 42 cm fork...

When fiddling with all travel spacers, the fork will not get shorter. It's in 63mm now!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

JK

by JK

Hmm... I understood that you had it at 100mm and wanted it to be 63mm...

In fact, the fork gets shorter when you switch the spacers around - you sort of pull the inner legs into the outer. I guess you allready did that then...

I would not shorten anything if I were you... If you would be able to shortend your damping rods, you would have to shorten the springs too and add some kind of spacer. Otherwise the bottom of the inner legs would hit the bottom-out bumpers very often, causing great stress on the fork.

Have you measured the amount of room between your tire and the crown of the fork when the fork is fully compressed? This could be another limitation. Getting launched over the bars at the first bump is probably not what you are looking for.

If I were you, I would search some old 63-70mm fork, like a Judy SL or Manitou SX-Ti. Those would probably have a fork height in the range of what you need. If you tune those with Total Air springs, they offer great function and light weight. I got a 42cm Morati fork lying around here, but I am keeping that for beach races :lol: ;-)

Bruiser

by Bruiser

What can I do to my 1997 Indy C forks to get more than 40mm of travel?
Looking for a cheap option.

Cheers

Brian